Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 12:54 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
And some people just make things up. Stating an incorrect and unsubstantiated opinion over and over doesn't make you correct.

The world I live in professionally, I use data to invalidate or invalidate my assumptions about things. If my assumption is wrong and somebody can show me the data, I have no ego in admitting I had it wrong and change to a new set of assumptions. I can't afford to be intellectually dishonest and cling to false beliefs. I'd get fired. I apply that process to the rest of my life.
Jesus Christ i just used it for example.

Didn't you see "let's say" part??

What i meant is still true though.

Almost everything is more expensive after a decade

And incomes are flat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 12:59 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Then we should support Cisco.

Let's buy more Cisco stuff.

I don't understand how Cisco is doing bad especially in a time when all infrastructure is being updated??
They're not, really. Revenue is up 4% over last year and it's been growing every year since dipping in 2009.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Jesus Christ i just used it for example.

Didn't you see "let's say" part??

What i meant is still true though.

Almost everything is more expensive after a decade

And incomes are flat
And I'm saying that you have conclusively shown that you don't know what you're talking about. You make something up in a weak-sauce attempt to justify an incorrect opinion. You then get all butt-hurt when somebody proves you wrong.

And duh. We've had 25% inflation in the last decade. Of course things are more expensive.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Quote:
And I'm saying that you have conclusively shown that you don't know what you're talking about. You make something up in a weak-sauce attempt to justify an incorrect opinion. You then get all butt-hurt when somebody proves you wrong.

And duh. We've had 25% inflation in the last decade. Of course things are more expensive.
I'm not butt-hurt at all.

I'm just totally surprised that you're stuck with a totally fictitious example i gave.

I wish i just said product X

And you just acknowledged what i wanted to make clear.

Everything is more expensive.

Remember according to FED we do not have inflation but consumer prices are going through the roof

Old 11-15-2015, 03:13 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
They're not, really. Revenue is up 4% over last year and it's been growing every year since dipping in 2009.
I thought they had bad earnings announced recently because I've hear the stock was hammered.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:50 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,982 times
Quote:
....China has a world class manufacturing economy....
....China is on the bleeding edge in many technologies....
Nope. Designed by Western (American/European/Canadian/Australian) Engineers, and spec'd by Western draftsmen. The Chinese can reverse-engineer at best. And they do have the cash to buy technology if/when they want.

Quote:
....China has been at it long enough that they have the institutional knowledge to stay on the leading edge.
No, they don't. They have a bunch of round-eye engineers to thank.

Quote:
....You're not going to find a solar panel that isn't from China.....

....It's actually tough to manufacture electronics in the United States these days. All the infrastructure is in China.
Duh, (and this is where you seem to be confused) this is because of BigGov/BigBiz collusion, not because of any vastly superior technical know-how on the part of the Chinese.

Big Biz wanted the CHEAP LABOR because it would make their stock just a little bit higher, and turn a few CEO's $40,000,000 pay package into $50,000,000 ones. YAY for CEO's. Not so YAY for the American/Western worker. What sucks is that our own traitorous politicians & government bean counters colluded with corporate interests in order to bring this about: lobbyists bought off our politicians and the voters became apathetic and stopped paying attention.

Can't wait for the TPP to be come into full force too. Won't that be nice? "GDP" might "go up" in nominal terms, but the average person might as well slide a butterknife up their metaphorical sphincter. Thanks BigBiz/BigGov. I really mean that, with all the sarcasm I can muster.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
[quote=InchingWest;41945455
Big Biz wanted the CHEAP LABOR because it would make their stock just a little bit higher, and turn a few CEO's $40,000,000 pay package into $50,000,000 ones. YAY for CEO's. Not so YAY for the American/Western worker. What sucks is that our own traitorous politicians & government bean counters colluded with corporate interests in order to bring this about: lobbyists bought off our politicians and the voters became apathetic and stopped paying attention.

Can't wait for the TPP to be come into full force too. Won't that be nice? "GDP" might "go up" in nominal terms, but the average person might as well slide a butterknife up their metaphorical sphincter. Thanks BigBiz/BigGov. I really mean that, with all the sarcasm I can muster.[/QUOTE]

What's more, the Feds supplied corporations with an endless stream of free money (ZIRP bonds) to build those factories. In essence the American worker funded the destruction of American jobs. And make no mistake about it, it was all planned just like the way corporations busted unions. All so a few billionaires can rule this country.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:31 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I don't see that downturn here in my local area, as for Target they were, and still are, moving in dubious directions with regard to strategies and store placement. I've been aware of a kind of economic shrinkage in the retail space, but most businesses have already made the required adjustments to inventory and employment, the result has been a noted economic marginalization of millions of American workers over the last six years or so. Many of the jobless are done in the workplace, they have seen their work go away or become mechanized, retail of course would be the first place we'd see the chickens come home to roost in regards to those sad employment stats.
I think the problem is excessive rents, fueled by excessive mortgaging of the centers. In downtown White Plains, a semi-urban market, and Rye Brook, a solidly suburban market, huge amounts of retail space have "For Rent" signs. I suspect that the stores were profitable before overhead and fixed costs, which includes rent.

Landlords and their lenders need much less fancy ideas about what their space is "worth" and need to concentrate on ensuring that their tenants actually make money. There's a community of interest here.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:01 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I can speak for myself and say, I now REFUSE to buy things that I used to buy all the time. And if I really need something, I will do my best to buy it used, or new, but cheap as possible.

Walmart is getting less and less of my business, now buying either used or at Dollartree/similar discount-stores.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Another case where the location makes a huge difference. Here the commercial real estate market is booming, with many big cranes in Seattle, new shopping centers and upscale stores being built on the eastside. Somebody must be buying things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics