Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 05:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It is quite easy actually! You just need to have reached your conclusion in advance, focus on anecdotal incidents, and be willing to completely ignore/discount any macro-level evidence to the contrary. It also helps if you have zero understanding of how business works.

For example, you can point out that a dozen of Target's 1,800 locations are being closed, along with a completely misguided assertion that stores should never be closed in a good economy. Then when other posters point out industrial output, retail sales, and consumer spending have all been expanding you wave that off by saying you don't trust those numbers.

Repeat over, and over, and over.
I'll remind you all that after 2016 Q1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Remind me of what exactly, are you going to post a few more news snippets about a chain closing stores or a company laying off employees and claim it is proof of a recession like you're doing now? Please clearly define what you're predicting, are we talking an actual recession or a J.Thomas recession where you can just decide we're currently in one despite all major economic indicators showing the opposite. It is easy to be correct when you can set your own reality level to wherever you need it to be.

Also, if there is in fact a recession as defined by common economic indicators (retail sales down 10%) wouldn't those numbers be something you couldn't use to prove a point since you claim you don't trust them? Or maybe the official numbers are only manipulated and sneaky when they don't align with your beliefs.

Last edited by lieqiang; 11-20-2015 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 12:19 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Quote:
Remind me of what exactly, are you going to post a few more news snippets about a chain closing stores or a company laying off employees and claim it is proof of a recession like you're doing now? Please clearly define what you're predicting, are we talking an actual recession or a J.Thomas recession where you can just decide we're currently in one despite all major economic indicators showing the opposite. It is easy to be correct when you can set your own reality level to wherever you need it to be.

Also, if there is in fact a recession as defined by common economic indicators (retail sales down 10%) wouldn't those numbers be something you couldn't use to prove a point since you claim you don't trust them? Or maybe the official numbers are only manipulated and sneaky when they don't align with your beliefs.
Recession is defined as having negative growth for two consecutive quarters.(Even -0.1% counts)

We are getting there.

It's just looming now.

Canada is in recession,UK almost, Europe is barely positive.

Japan is shrinking after numerous QEs.

I mean jesus what more you want

Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
It's a deflationary cycle. QE infinity will never solve the problem, which is a big problem... Because it's the only trick up the Fed's sleeves... At least, the only sound option. Of course, they could allow the free market to dictate things, but than America would probably look like a banana republic, so I'm not sure many folks would like that either.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Recession is defined as having negative growth for two consecutive quarters.(Even -0.1% counts)

We are getting there.

It's just looming now.

Canada is in recession,UK almost, Europe is barely positive.

Japan is shrinking after numerous QEs.

You really do not understand retail. Retail has slight shifts both up and down, depending on weather, and many other factors. It happens on a regular basis. 0.01% is a very small change and is nothing to worry about. One reason for last month being down slightly, is the weather was warmer than normal, so people put off buying winter clothing. If the weather had been colder than normal they would have rushed in for winter clothing, and the trend would have been up.

One reason that the in store volume went down 1% for some big stores, was their online sales went up to 12% of all retail sales. Actual retail sales including in store and online will increase under these circumstances. I went shopping at Walmart for non perishable groceries yesterday. Their prices are way lower than local independent grocery store. I spent $290 for a months supply of these items. Instead of driving 100 mile round trip to the chain groceries, I did it on line. Things will be here in about 5 days via free shipping. Saved 100 mile round trim and $15 in gas. Saved 2 hours time to go to and from the store and another hour and a half or so walking around the store. In addition saved money by shopping on line. One item I buy costs $5 at the Walmart store. $4.44 on line, and they have a double size for only $2 more which I got that is not available in either stores. It is $8.95 locally. Alfredo Sauce, costs $4.46 here in town, and on line I bought the same Paul Newman's for $1.97 per bottle. It is surprising how many dollars we save buying groceries on line.

As someone that spent my entire working career in the business world, and 10 years of that was in retail (earning $125,000 plus in today's dollars per year selling furniture) and managing some of them I understand. I also sold some businesses while a real estate broker.

I understand retail, and are well aware there is no recession going on or coming in the retail business world.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
We are getting there.

It's just looming now.
Ahh so now we're "getting there" with a retail recession?

So you started a thread with the alarmist title "Retails is in a major recession!!!" (present tense) but when called out on reality not matching you dance a bit saying you don't care what the data says, before finally retreating to a vague prediction of it looming in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
What I want is for you stop making things up.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
QE infinity will never solve the problem
QE Infinity?

QE ended over a year ago, I don't think you understand what the word infinity means.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:33 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
Quote:
QE Infinity?

QE ended over a year ago, I don't think you understand what the word infinity means.
Wrong again.

QE continues but not for those who believe the government propagandas hook, line, and sinker. I guess headlines are all that are needed to convince the gullible, the naive, or the propagandists themselves. Others think for themselves and know if something stinks then they have to look for the cause.

So you thought quantitative easing was over? Think again

Old 11-22-2015, 04:11 AM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
QE Infinity?

I don't think many people understand why low low interest rates are punishing and counterproductive. Of course, so long as the rest of the developed world trashes their financial system, than we can all lose together, and celebrate it as the new normal.

All this sacrifice to prop up a failing and increasingly inefficient financial system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Wrong again.

QE continues but not for those who believe the government propagandas hook, line, and sinker. I guess headlines are all that are needed to convince the gullible, the naive, or the propagandists themselves. Others think for themselves and know if something stinks then they have to look for the cause.

So you thought quantitative easing was over? Think again
And we are not the only country that experiments with our money supply in such a manner. I am always hearing QE associated with Europe, China and Japan.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think many people understand why low low interest rates are punishing and counterproductive. Of course, so long as the rest of the developed world trashes their financial system, than we can all lose together, and celebrate it as the new normal.

All this sacrifice to prop up a failing and increasingly inefficient financial system.

And we are not the only country that experiments with our money supply in such a manner. I am always hearing QE associated with Europe, China and Japan.
The QE is lazy money. It does not encourage real investment that produces a longterm cash-flow but instead lazy investment for quick gains and stock speculation. When the cost of money is higher a stronger vetting process takes place as money from investors goes through more scrutiny since investors are getting a decent return from less risky investments. With more retirement funds focusing on the same investments (S&P, DOW, and other index funds) there is too much money chasing the same companies. Many of these companies lack any real growth ideas and just use money to consolidate, buy their own stock back or invest in other companies' stock to enhance their own quarterly reports.

The only solution is true employment growth and greater participation in the work force. This can be accomplished by focusing on product and service development of true societal need such as 21st-Century alternative energy power systems, transmission infrastructure, transportation products, and well-designed energy efficient buildings/housing. Add in healthy locally-sourced agriculture and food production and there are numerous opportunities for domestic job growth. The wealth gap needs to be addressed as a disappearing middle class leads to decreased standard of living and an increased level of domestic problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics