Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That's really short sighted and a lack of understand of the financial system and possible benefits.
It may be, but I don't have an income so to aquire/use debt would be stupid. Even when I had an income I still lived very well without being buried on debt. We are on one income & have enough bills already.

I can live just fine without it and trust me, I am not "missing out" on anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 01:37 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
It may be, but I don't have an income so to aquire/use debt would be stupid. Even when I had an income I still lived very well without being buried on debt. We are on one income & have enough bills already.

I can live just fine without it and trust me, I am not "missing out" on anything.

You are missing out. Deny it but you are. Sorry for your circumstances

Old 01-10-2016, 01:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
"Victim"? For not wanting to overpay for something you call us "victims"? WOW! The ignorance.
If you think life isn't fair because shoppers absorb some merchant costs that they don't benefit from then you need to go buy a "victim" t-shirt too.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
You certainly are, you just can't wrap your head around it despite others' attempts to explain it.

Things cost less because of rewards, better consumer protection, better expense tracking, etc. It is all fine and good that you prefer to avoid credit cards but that doesn't change the fact you're missing out on some benefits they offer.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If you think life isn't fair because shoppers absorb some merchant costs that they don't benefit from then you need to go buy a "victim" t-shirt too.
Your choice for words is ridiculous.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You are missing out. Deny it but you are. Sorry for your circumstances
We'll have to agree to disagree; I'm not missing out on anything. I have everything I need.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree; I'm not missing out on anything. I have everything I need.

No on this we don't have to agree to disagree. If you pay your bills on time as you suggest you paying cash eliminate rewards available to you either in the form of cash or some other rewards program. You are also missing travel insurance, extended warranties, replacement insurance and a host of other benefits. You are fine not using it? Okay but that doesn't mean you aren't missing out

Old 01-10-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
No on this we don't have to agree to disagree. If you pay your bills on time as you suggest you paying cash eliminate rewards available to you either in the form of cash or some other rewards program. You are also missing travel insurance, extended warranties, replacement insurance and a host of other benefits. You are fine not using it? Okay but that doesn't mean you aren't missing out
I don't use any if those things u mention. & I don't shop to the point of needing rewards. We have one acct/debit card end of story. We don't travel anywhere by plane to need "points", I don't buy appliances that often and believe me "warranties" are useless! They may have been better before but now they don't really cover anything! We got sucked into buying a warranty for our Chevy & it doesn't even cover the battery! The home warranty kept sending "repair" man that didn't repair anything for both the AC & microwave! Warranties are a joke!

I don't need to complicate my life with this kind of debt. We pay our bills before the due date, end of story.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Some cards charge a yearly fee, they also charge an over the limit fee (if you go over the limit, a late fee and interest. Now if you are like me, I use a card for almost all purchases, but I pay it off completely each month so I pay none of those fees.

However, every time I swipe the card or use if via the internet, the merchant has to pay a fee (I believe 1-4 percent of charged amount). I believe it still relates to how large the merchant is and the volume they submit to the card company on a monthly basis. Walmart is probably at the lowest end of the fee scale, while Joes Plumbing in Lander WY (made up place) pays on the high end of the scale.
As a merchant I use an Internet-based merchant servicing company. I pay 2.75% for swiped transactions and those paid on e-mailed invoices; and 3.25% on entries I manually make by telephone.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:44 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
I don't use any if those things u mention. & I don't shop to the point of needing rewards. We have one acct/debit card end of story. We don't travel anywhere by plane to need "points", I don't buy appliances that often and believe me "warranties" are useless! They may have been better before but now they don't really cover anything! We got sucked into buying a warranty for our Chevy & it doesn't even cover the battery! The home warranty kept sending "repair" man that didn't repair anything for both the AC & microwave! Warranties are a joke!

I don't need to complicate my life with this kind of debt. We pay our bills before the due date, end of story.
We pay all our bills on time, and in full but we make sure to charge everything. My "points" are paid back to me as cash rebates. I receive 1% on all purchases and 5% on a rotating class of purchases. With Chase Ink and Amex Open I receive 5% for utility and Internet expenses and certain business purchases. We get a fair amount of money each year that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics