Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The government encourages companies to hire workers part time, by not imposing as many rules on them. The minimum wage workers can get fewer and fewer hours per week, as one way to become poorer.

Yeah, Obamacare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times

Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm all for taxing the rich, so long as we define rich to be anyone who makes at least $1 more than I do.

What if the rich person has $2 more in tax deductions than you have?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:30 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Income inequality is a big problem, until you understand that we get paid what we are worth to the rest of society. Then your focus necessarily should turn to eliminating the impediments that keep people from being as useful as they could be to the rest of us.

You low-talent, low-skill, low-motivation types will hate this, because it is true and it makes you look bad. Maybe you ought to just get with the program and seek to be useful.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Yet still Republicans fight to prevent minimum wage increases while advocating to cut taxes for the rich, who are richer than ever before.
But, that will trickle down and everything, don't you know, leading to better job creation and all of that BS.

I am 54 and am finally making again the same wage I made when I was laid off from my manufacturing plant job - in 1991 at age 30. Granted, that was a union job, but I sure was putting my wages back into the economy then at a much faster clip, and at higher interest rates, than I am doing now. The home I purchased on that job in 1990 was at an interest rate of about 10%, but it was do-able because medical insurance wasn't eating us alive, and Certificates of Deposit were paying good dividends and good savers were being rewarded handsomely. Different world today. I'm also now looking at a retirement age of about 70, if I live that long - how fun.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? A childless full-time minimum wage worker pays over $500 a year in federal income tax and in many states also pays a similar amount in state income tax. In some states these workers pay even more in state income tax.

So? Minimum wage only goes up. Unless someone works less, they're making more money than when the wage was lower. So taxes going up is what makes people poorer, and how do you think everyone feels when their taxes go up? A poor person should see what I pay in taxes, it would blow their minds. What the straw-man CEO who makes millions a year pays in taxes would blow anyone's mind (although I do admit it's hard to feel sorry for them). And people seldom stay in the same income bracket their entire lives. Defining poor as a certain number gives plenty of room to promote a politician as the savior, when all that politician needs to do is get out of the way and let people move on up in life. I was po' as a kid, started in minimum wage jobs, and with only a high school diploma I worked hard and acquired skills that enable me to earn a pretty good living. Too bad I have to pay such incredibly high taxes, and only the most aggressive investments, that I believe are not worth the risk, pay a decent return.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Income inequality is a big problem, until you understand that we get paid what we are worth to the rest of society. Then your focus necessarily should turn to eliminating the impediments that keep people from being as useful as they could be to the rest of us.

You low-talent, low-skill, low-motivation types will hate this, because it is true and it makes you look bad. Maybe you ought to just get with the program and seek to be useful.

Now tell us with a straight face that the average pro sports thug - or say OJ - has 50 times more worth to the rest of society than the Teacher of the Year.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
So? Minimum wage only goes up. Unless someone works less, they're making more money than when the wage was lower. So taxes going up is what makes people poorer, and how do you think everyone feels when their taxes go up? A poor person should see what I pay in taxes, it would blow their minds. What the straw-man CEO who makes millions a year pays in taxes would blow anyone's mind (although I do admit it's hard to feel sorry for them). And people seldom stay in the same income bracket their entire lives. Defining poor as a certain number gives plenty of room to promote a politician as the savior, when all that politician needs to do is get out of the way and let people move on up in life. I was po' as a kid, started in minimum wage jobs, and with only a high school diploma I worked hard and acquired skills that enable me to earn a pretty good living. Too bad I have to pay such incredibly high taxes, and only the most aggressive investments, that I believe are not worth the risk, pay a decent return.

A minimum wage increase does not make workers better off, it only allows them to 'catch up' by regaining the purchasing power they enjoyed when the minimum wage was last increased.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Then how could they be poorer, with minimum wage laws increasing and their taxes nil in that bracket?
By increasing minimum wage, the poor will get hurt twice:
1)Current holders of minimum wages will loose their jobs (will be eliminated due to increased cost of doing business).
2)Increased minimum wage will add to the cost of products (which will also hurt the same low wage earners).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm all for taxing the rich, so long as we define rich to be anyone who makes at least $1 more than I do.
How much do you make?

I think those making more than 500k a year could pay a good deal more. Obama made the tax structure more fair in 2013 but more needs to be done.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics