Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:23 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

Japan has joined the EU, Denmark, Switzerland and Sweden in imposing negative interest rates.

Indeed, more than a fifth of the world's GDP is now covered by a central bank with negative interest rates.

Moderator cut: .

Negative Interest Rates Show Desperation of Central Banks | Zero Hedge

Last edited by yellowbelle; 01-30-2016 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: copyright - post only a few sentences and a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:00 AM

22 posts, read 17,622 times
What all those nations that implemented the NIRP are unwilling to do is to face the truth, that debt is a poison that needs to be removed from the system because it is a cancer.

This negative interest rates fever is all part of the currency war. Japan's move yesterday means China will have to respond, which means more chaos internationally. This all should make our US dollar more valuable, as long as America does not follow the negative interest rate move.

If America follows the world into NIRP, choosing the currency war, then the world as we know will evaporate, currencies all melting, until, on the other side of the meltdown, will be gold backed currencies again.

NIRP will be the worst disaster.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:56 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Nothing creates the expectation of higher future prices like the certainty of higher future wages. You can drive inflation with the minimum wage law. Increasing wages = new unleveraged income = the opportunity to take on more debt.

And NIRP is deflation. It is un-printing money. Back in 2009 when someone explained to me what a liquidity trap was I said we were in one. I was wrong, we had a commodities bubble that could be blown. It has been blown. Is there another bubble that can be blown? I don't see one. Does anyone else see one?

Negative interest rates, The central banks are getting close to the end of what they can do. You want inflation? Drive it with wages.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Maker View Post
... will be gold backed currencies again.
With a minimum wage law we have a de facto labor backed currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Maker View Post
NIRP will be the worst disaster.
We can't choose not to have the economic pain that is coming our way. We can choose what kind of pain that is.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:07 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
Anyone ready to throw these goon Bankers in the stockades yet?

They want to fight debt Bubbles by creating more debt.

They want to fight deflation by creating more deflation.

Isn't it time to take care of business or should be just stand-by as they destroy everyone's future.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
It's not news, it's well known. In fact up until the FED raised rate this year, US banks are not accepting large deposits. It has to do with regulations here, too costly.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:45 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post

And NIRP is deflation. It is un-printing money. Back in 2009 when someone explained to me what a liquidity trap was I said we were in one. I was wrong, we had a commodities bubble that could be blown. It has been blown. Is there another bubble that can be blown? I don't see one. Does anyone else see one?
Some possible bubbles:

Student loans
Autos
Housing 2.0
Tech 2.0
Junk Bonds

Hell, even healthcare could conceivably qualify...

So take your pick

Old 01-30-2016, 10:51 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Anyone ready to throw these goon Bankers in the stockades yet?

They want to fight debt Bubbles by creating more debt.

They want to fight deflation by creating more deflation.

Isn't it time to take care of business or should be just stand-by as they destroy everyone's future.
Read it and weep

Bernanke says Fed likely to add negative interest rates to recession-fighting tool kit - MarketWatch

If every other country starts going down the path of NIRP, it is only a matter of time before the US does I'm afraid

Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Some possible bubbles:

Student loans
Autos
Housing 2.0
Tech 2.0
Junk Bonds

Hell, even healthcare could conceivably qualify...

So take your pick
Cars, the consumers are maxed out.

Student loans, well maybe, but... How much can they take on, we need trillions of dollars of new debt?

Housing 2.0 It is popping, or close to it.

Tech 2.0 If the Plunge protection team decides to blow a bubble there I wouldn't bet against it. On its own? Do we believe there is real growth possible somewhere?

Junk Bonds I remember them from the 1980's. Who would be stupid enough to do it again. But then there is housing bubble 2.0 for your answer. (But this time it is different.)

They may get another bubble. But I don't think so.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Yeah but there is a difference between Japan and these countries.

These are, compared to Japan, economically very small countries.

Massive inflow of investment gave them no choice.

They can't afford to pay any interest.

SNB literally warned them not to bring any money there

This is how crazy it's out there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics