Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
It's slowly coming

Swiss will vote to implement or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

There are so many useless people globally at some point i think it should be implemented.

Let's give these folks some cash to burn

Automation is a strong trend.

Maybe by the next decade we won't need such a huge labor force
I like the idea of basic income , provided that it comes straight from the central bank, directly into pockets of U.S. citizens. I believe it would give us a different type of inflation, help combat 'stagflation,' and generally reduce the influence of U.S. financial institutions over U.S. economic planning.

Minor deviations from that formula -- say, taxing wages and using that as revenue for basic income -- would not really be a meaningful departure from how our system already works.

Last edited by le roi; 03-06-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I like the idea of basic income , provided that it comes straight from the central bank, directly into pockets of U.S. citizens. I believe it would give us a different type of inflation, help combat 'stagflation,' and generally reduce the influence of U.S. financial institutions over U.S. economic planning.

Minor deviations from that formula -- say, taxing wages and using that as revenue for basic income -- would not really be a meaningful departure from how our system already works.
It can't. It would have to come from the Treasury, not the Fed.

Who do you think runs the Fed? Who do you think runs the Treasury ?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:55 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Food is cheap if you buy basic stuff at the grocery and cook it.
I bought some take-out sushi, took it home, cooked it, and it tasted just like fish.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Some people such as myself are born on the peninsula (The most expensive section of land in the world).
The peninsula is inexpensive when compared to, say, Tokyo or Hong Kong.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It can't. It would have to come from the Treasury, not the Fed.
Ok, so have the Fed give it to the treasury first, if that satisfies your lust for the status quo.

Quote:
Who do you think runs the Fed? Who do you think runs the Treasury ?
Both exist due to the will of congress.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:24 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Turns out in the studies done on basic income, one of the selling points is that people can decide best how to spend their money, and that adding on bureaucracy to manage it to the point you want to is wasteful.

IE we're looking for a better solution, not a replication of our current system.
Yes but...

Just a small amount of money no strings attached. That is a really good idea. Then you get into trying to optimize the system for other things... bad idea. Cut the red tape, everyone just gets the same amount.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:47 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
We sort of already have that - the earned income tax credit. It's just really low and barely offsets payroll taxes...
Ya and not that effective.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Turns out in the studies done on basic income, one of the selling points is that people can decide best how to spend their money, ...
Yes, on beer, tobacco, drugs, gambling, X-Box/Sega, more drugs, tattoos, toys, more tattoos, more gambling and the children get kicked to the curb and thrown under the bus.

Then the Left-Wing starts its tear campaign about children and food insecurity and children and being homeless and we're right back to Food Stamps and HUD.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:36 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, on beer, tobacco, drugs, gambling, X-Box/Sega, more drugs, tattoos, toys, more tattoos, more gambling and the children get kicked to the curb and thrown under the bus.

Then the Left-Wing starts its tear campaign about children and food insecurity and children and being homeless and we're right back to Food Stamps and HUD.
Actually on things like "housing, food, water, clothing, etc etc etc"

Those are facts, not your dreamed up assumptions. Your argument is nonsense based upon false assumptions. I sometimes wonder if people make this assumption because thats what they think they would do, but mostly I think its a assumption that poor people ALWAYS deserve to be poor because they are not moral people.

some articles:

The Best Welfare Reform: Give Poor People Cash - The Atlantic

This Startup Gives Poor People A Year's Income, No Strings Attached

Old 03-06-2016, 04:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Default New basic income experiment in Canada

Looks like Canada is joining other countries in exploring the idea of a basic income.
Ontario announces basic income plan - Tech Insider

I must admit, while I think a basic income is inevitable, countries are moving on it a LOT faster then I expected. I figured that it would be years before even limited experiments like this occurred.

Countries are a long ways from needing it, so this is surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics