Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 12:29 PM

102 posts, read 116,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ba ha ha ha. Care??? LOL. As I said, you should know your financial situation, knowledge is power over your life, stand your ground. It's up to YOU!

And if you use common sense, understand basic finance and don't think you're entitled, it won't be at your expense.

Welcome to the real world. Get used to it and forget the anger, it won't help, get financially educated.
I didn't ask for your advice, but thanks anyway, *******.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 12:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosken Powell View Post
I didn't ask for your advice, but thanks anyway, *******.
That's right, stay angry, keep doing more of the same, wish for hope and change without any effort on your part, that someone out there who really does care, that some politician will waive their magic wand or use their phone and pen and legislate your prosperity and you'll wake up in a beautiful house that is all yours

Old 02-24-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
That's right, stay angry, keep doing more of the same, keep your fingers crossed for hope and change without any effort on your part, keep hoping there is someone out there that cares, that some politician will waive their magic want or use their pen and legislate your prosperity that will save you
I'm not sure what you are even talking about. I'm not talking about politicians, I'm talking about regular people. And of course you just confirmed what I said about regular americans, you are a sanctimonious prick.

I have no problem with politicians. I don't even live in the USA anymore. But my sister and nephew do, so it would be nice if it didn't suck there. Unfortunately with low-IQ idiots like you in huge numbers there, I don't have much hope.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:39 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
"Average break even time" is meaningless when in some locations you never break even at any holding period compared to renting and investing in similarly risky assets.
It was an illustration and generic statement at best to help drive my point and help readers understand that it is not certain you will make a profit (I even outline reasons for why that is). Yes, you are right on certain local market it can be far worse.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are even talking about. I'm not talking about politicians, I'm talking about regular people. And of course you just confirmed what I said about regular americans, you are a sanctimonious prick.

I have no problem with politicians. I don't even live in the USA anymore. But my sister and nephew does, so it would be nice if it didn't suck there. Unfortunately with low-IQ idiots like you in huge numbers there, I don't have much hope.
wow, nice... so in other words you don't care to listen to anyone who's been through it all, couldn't afford a home, was a working slug, failed at 2 businesses but kept trying, learned a lot, pulled out of the rat race, now own a house and just trying to pass what I've learned on... I never had a bad attitude rather I kept trying, I never thought I was entitled so I kept learning and trying, I own my mistakes and don't point and blame everyone else. You just want the magic wand or the magic phone and pen.

Last edited by petch751; 02-24-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
The reason buying is so much more expensive for most people is that you typically don't buy something equivalent to what you had when you rented. You buy a lot more. Most people I know, when they went on the home market, they went for MUCH more house than what they had - ie: going from a 900sf apartment to a 2000sf house with a lot.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
wow, nice... so in other words you don't care to listen to anyone who's been through it all, couldn't afford a home, was a working slug, failed at 2 businesses but kept trying, learned a lot, pulled out of the rat race, now own a house and just trying to pass what I've learned on... I never had a bad attitude rather I kept trying. You just want the magic want or the magic phone and pen.
Sounds like you aren't that smart if you failed at one business, started another one and failed again. Why exactly would someone else want your advice? Why on earth are you assuming that I even need any advice? I started a business that didn't fail, sold it, and now I work for another larger business that is also not failing. All I said was that Americans were pricks, and the deck is stacked against regular people. Your pointless posts confirm at least one of the things I said. Good for you on owning a house though, you and 150 million other americans.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
All I said was that Americans were pricks, and the deck is stacked against regular people. Your pointless posts confirm at least one of the things I said. Good for you on owning a house though, you and 150 million other americans.
^^^^

Old 02-24-2016, 12:51 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
It's populist to blame "the banks" but nobody blames the middle class mortgage brokers who were fiending on all the commissions they were racking up during that era. Your neighbor at Wells Fargo was the guy convincing people to take out $100K more than they could afford, not the head of Bear Stearns. Americans love to blame faceless forces and heads of huge organizations, but really the American economy is based on regular joes ripping each other off at every opportunity.
You are so right. I know many people who worked as mortgage brokers on the side during that time, pocketing huge amounts of commissions. My brother's friend was a cop who did mortgage apps for people while sitting in the patrol car. Lots of people were stupid and greedy and got caught up in the money without using their brains.

I know a non-English speaking couple, a housekeeper and pizza cook, who got into a $500,000 home, of course to lose it a couple of years later. My neighbor bragged about how she refi'd her house and got enough cash to buy 2 new cars and buy another house for her daughter. That didn't end well either.

I had a smart friend who bucked the popular trend and sold his home at a ridiculous high value, invested the cash and rented a small house. It seemed like there were very few of us who could see the madness going on around us.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:56 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Based on my income I couldn't qualify... but being a super saver made it possible... I had 10 years in working by age 22.

Lest anyone think different... my first W2 job paid $50 a week for a full week... of that $20 went to my folks on payday, $20 to my bank account, $4 and change to with holding and $5 and change was enough to buy a burger and drink for lunch 5 days of the week.
When hiring someone new, I always look for a history of working that stretches back into the high school years. I have found that candidates who worked every summer from age 15 or so (or earlier as in the quote above) are generally superior to candidates who didn't work until after college at age 22 or even later. Simplified: you never get a drama-prone hire with someone who worked eight summers in high school and college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics