Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times

Advertisements

There are different types of accounts-those who give Interest like Savings, CD and then we got Checking Accounts which gives No Interest. If Banks CD or Savings Account start charging Negative Interest Rates, how about moving money to Non-Interest paying Checking Account? Atleast deposit will be safe from negative interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 03:59 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is no borrowing at negative rates.

The negative rates will be reflected in your savings, checking, MM and CD.

The banks won't be paying you to borrow money.
The banks will be charging you to hold your money.
I still think there can be window for negativity in certain loans.

Not small but big ones like business loans...etc. over a million dollars for instance.

It can be

Banks can make very very little profit.

Cause they'll be getting fees from parked cash.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Default What do they mean by negative interest rates?

Maybe I'm not too bright, but exactly what does a negative interest rate mean? I understand it's a stimulus method to discourage money hoarding, but what does that mean to both borrowers and savers? For a borrower, does that mean a bank pays me to borrow? As a saver would that imply penalties for saving?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:46 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the banks and brokerages will charge you to baby sit your money , watch it and insure it . you can always build your own vault , or hire a guard 24/7 and insure it yourself .

but it would be a better deal to pay the bank or invest it in something else

Old 03-10-2016, 02:53 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Maybe I'm not too bright, but exactly what does a negative interest rate mean? I understand it's a stimulus method to discourage money hoarding, but what does that mean to both borrowers and savers? For a borrower, does that mean a bank pays me to borrow? As a saver would that imply penalties for saving?
Interest = money paid by someone who borrows money, paid to the lender as compensation for giving up the use of their money for a period of time.

Negative interest = money paid from the lender to the borrower.

Negative interest bank deposit account = account where you (or the depositor) pay for the bank to hold your money.

Negative interest loan = loan, with the total of all loan payments being *less* than the original loan amount.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Interest = money paid by someone who borrows money, paid to the lender as compensation for giving up the use of their money for a period of time.

Negative interest = money paid from the lender to the borrower.

Negative interest bank deposit account = account where you (or the depositor) pay for the bank to hold your money.

Negative interest loan = loan, with the total of all loan payments being *less* than the original loan amount.
So, if I understand, it will cost me money to put my money in the bank, better to keep it at home (just sayin'), so I have $100 to save

Then, I borrow money from the bank, let's say $100, but I only need to pay back $99 next month

Why not borrow $100 every month, pay back the $99 every month, pocket the $1, I'd be making 12% annual return, right?

Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Paying banks to borrow money and forcing people to spend or invest in equities.

Basically propping up what they started in '08.

Of course it's not gonna work cause "trend exhaustion".

Old 03-10-2016, 04:13 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So, if I understand, it will cost me money to put my money in the bank, better to keep it at home (just sayin'), so I have $100 to save

Then, I borrow money from the bank, let's say $100, but I only need to pay back $99 next month

Why not borrow $100 every month, pay back the $99 every month, pocket the $1, I'd be making 12% annual return, right?

I think my head just exploded.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:22 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think my head just exploded.
You said it. Why not just increase the minimum wage and then things will cost more and you get your inflation? Much better than negative interest rates. But the FED sets the rates and is owned by the big banks, and congress sets the minimum wage. The FED can't fix this morbid economy, congress can.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Why not just increase the minimum wage and then things will cost more and you get your inflation?
Wrong kind of Inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics