Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
These used to and in some cases have already existed in California through FHA in some way shape or form for awhile now. The no-PMI is interesting though.

All this says to me is that we're getting back into bubble territory.

I'm conflicted because I want a house, but I also don't want to be put in a precarious position and would rather just save for the 20% and wait for the bubble to burst again.

----

However these loan limits are crazy because 1. $417k doesn't buy all that much where I live and 2. I never understood the income limits.

3% of 417k is 12.5k + closing (which is typically another 3%) so that's 25k needed in savings. One would be absolutely stupid to not have a reserve of at least 5k. I don't know very many people who are at or around the median income levels in CA and have 30k in savings.

But I'm sure people will do it, qualify and buy their first home on a shoestring...however like I mentioned earlier, this is getting too reminiscent of 2006 era homes and home prices here in CA.

The mere hint that interest rates were going up (not now obviously) but a few months ago, made investors very worried and inventory sat and prices took a dip.

Once interest rates do go up metro areas will take a hit.

$417k here in Indiana will buy you a very nice home. For people like myself who have reasonably high income, but haven't had a lot of time to save and want to own, these programs are helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So let's say there are two people, A and B. A makes more money than B and buys a house. B's rent consumes so much income he can't save a 20% down payment so he continues renting (home prices and rents rise faster than he can save). Fast forward 30 years, A has paid off his mortgage, B is still renting. B has paid more than A and has nothing to show for it.

What do you say to B? "You paid more than A but you didn't have any skin in the game"?
"You should have invested your savings in the stock market".

Old 02-26-2016, 08:24 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:

If they have more than median incomes, they have no excuse for not having an adequate down payment.

When you limit it to people with low incomes, you're basically saying that you're going to reward frugality.
I am low income and both of my houses have more than 20% equity. You could better your situation easily by just getting a full time job. Do your side business on the side for extra income.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:37 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
So let's say there are two people, A and B. A makes more money than B and buys a house. B's rent consumes so much income he can't save a 20% down payment so he continues renting (home prices and rents rise faster than he can save). Fast forward 30 years, A has paid off his mortgage, B is still renting. B has paid more than A and has nothing to show for it.

What do you say to B? "You paid more than A but you didn't have any skin in the game"?
No, I would tell B that they should have worked at improving their income so that they, too, could have afforded a home.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:33 AM

24,532 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
"You should have invested your savings in the stock market".
Have you looked at stock versus property lately?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:24 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
??? ??? All I want is for people who work for low wages to be able to buy tiny starter homes, as opposed to paying more to rent than homeowners pay to own and ending up with nothing to show for having paid more than homeowners.
Have you ever browsed realtor.com? There are plenty of low cost starter homes around the country with plenty of minimum wage retail jobs nearby.

I live in an area where there used to be several textile mills, so there are tons of cute little mill homes. Some need some fixing up, many are fine, just small.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you looked at stock versus property lately?
The latest value of the Case-Shiller Index is 210. Once square footage is adjusted for, this is only slightly above historical norms. In real terms, it has not even doubled since 1880 once adjusted for square footage.

The stock market, by contrast, has gone up manifold.

Note that I am not including the rental "return" on the housing because I was responding to a post that implicitly assumed that rent was being paid from job income rather than from investments.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am low income and both of my houses have more than 20% equity. You could better your situation easily by just getting a full time job. Do your side business on the side for extra income.

Can't do FT M-F 9-5 with medical appointments in the way. Can't do FT swing shifts due to transit limitations (buses stop running before shift ends). Can't do FT graveyard because of early morning appointments.

Why can't I have work that I can do on my own schedule? Shouldn't be rocket science.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Can't do FT M-F 9-5 with medical appointments in the way. Can't do FT swing shifts due to transit limitations (buses stop running before shift ends). Can't do FT graveyard because of early morning appointments.

Why can't I have work that I can do on my own schedule? Shouldn't be rocket science.
Excuse. Excuse. Excuse.

Newsflash, millions of people have appointments they have to weave into their work schedule.

Everyone wants work they can do on their own schedule. Few have that luxury while still making enough to have a decent living.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Excuse. Excuse. Excuse.

Newsflash, millions of people have appointments they have to weave into their work schedule.

Everyone wants work they can do on their own schedule. Few have that luxury while still making enough to have a decent living.
I think this depends on how much notice people have of their work schedule. If your employer calls only hours in advance to offer you an extra shift, and those extra shifts are necessary for the side income, there is a problem there. No doctors will let you repeatedly schedule on such short notice.

OTOH, if the employer tells you 2 weeks in advance, that should be plenty of time to work in the appointments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics