U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 AM

12,405 posts, read 9,195,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
But they don't respect IP.

I'm all for funding science but if you can't protect these ideas and models they're done for
When you say "how can we stop this", who are "we"? The public? If so, then the answer is simply "Fund it anyway".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Dad always said that if you could produce a new kind of battery, you could make a mint.

Think of it for a moment, how long it takes to charge a battery and then how quickly it is used up on full power. If one could come up with the technology to change that.....WOW!
The problem is how you will make a living in the meantime, at least in a world where no one wants to pay for R&D because you have to already prove you have a working model before you can get any funding. But the process of getting a working model itself requires funding, unless you are wealthy enough to not need a paycheck for 5-10 years.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:58 AM

2,073 posts, read 3,676,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
But water is not an invention.
No, but:

Water collection
Water desalination
Water delivery/transportation
Water purification

are all huge fields that the right invention could really change things in this world (as well as make someone a LOT of money)

Old 02-29-2016, 12:03 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,730,147 times
Quote:
I think we need major inventions in energy, transport, manufacturing, health and software particularly AI
Obviously we're not gonna see these inventions this decade.
They are happening all the time, arguably at a faster rate than any other time in history.

Problem is a tiny fraction of the population is taking all the gains, and this isn't sustainable in consumer-capitalism. The debt we've accumulated to get us this far maxed out. That is why we are stalled. Not very mysterious.

The problem will likely be solved by making consumer-capitalism obsolete.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 PM

37,998 posts, read 18,937,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
As long as we refuse to provide decent public funding for basic science without a fight, what do you expect? Researchers are forced to waste all their time chasing grants and have little left for actual research.
LOL, we went through this before. Doesn't your livelihood depend on gov contracts? I showed you all the wasteful government spending on research. Examples of ridiculous spending can easily be found on google. Just for fun, even though I showed you many, many other examples

I wonder, will the following tax payer funded research help boost prosperity?

1) $171,000 To Study How Monkeys Gamble,
2) $856,000 To Film Mountain Lions Running On Treadmills,
3) Synchronized Swimming For Sea Monkeys,
4) Swedish Massages For Bunnies
6) $331,000 To Study Whether “Hangry” Spouses Are More Likely To Stab Voodoo Dolls,

You need to demand that government quit wasting "your" government contract money on things like that.

wastebook-2014-eight-absurd-government-projects-funded-with-your-money/

And they want more of our money to waste??????

Old 02-29-2016, 09:44 PM

24,885 posts, read 11,599,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Dad always said that if you could produce a new kind of battery, you could make a mint.

Think of it for a moment, how long it takes to charge a battery and then how quickly it is used up on full power. If one could come up with the technology to change that.....WOW!
Your dad is 100% correct, and we really are starting to see some new battery technology actually get produced.

Quote:
I think one of the reasons of current stagnation is lack of big inventions.

For example invention of combustion engine was a major boost.

But since then we couldn't add up to it.
We have consistently added to it. From the generator point of view, how about supercritical CO2 generators?

Quote:
I think we need major inventions in energy, transport, manufacturing, health and software particularly AI

Obviously we're not gonna see these inventions this decade.
Want to bet?

Lets go through this, and then add a few.
1. Energy. Solar has become huge, its actually becoming price efficient! And then fusion power. half a dozen companies using multiple theories are claiming they will get us fusion this decade.

2. transport. What? Electric cars arent enough? How about self driving cars that are currently driving our roads?

3. manufacturing. You mean like the robots that have been deployed to manufacturing lines? How about the 3D printing of rocket engines? And the future looks amazing for 3D printing.

4. health. What? Watson doing cancer detection isnt good? Several cures for some cancers as of late. Seriously theres a TON of stuff going on.

5. software. This is a mixed bag in some ways. As of late i have felt like its "more of the same" a lot of time. And that mass consolidations of applications have been missed opportunities. But even with this look at your cell phone. holy moly! That things got a TON of software! And backends that can do amazing things. Ever played with Siri? Or Alexa? We have primitive software assistants that will only get better.

6. AI. Watson. its the first attempt at a expert system, and its doing well. But its not real AI. We are a decade away from that. maybe as little as 4 years. But its going to be sudden, and fast when it comes about I think.

7. virtual reality. This is one you didn't mention, but I think will surprise many, and its a favorite nich of mine as I am developing a application for it in my off time. (no, not a game). Until you have tried a modern 3D set, you have no idea just how impressive its become, and how rapidly. Old 3d would make a lot of people barf from the time delays between the movement of the head, the visual change, and the inner ear. Now? its under20ms, the barfing is gone. Its got megapixel displays that remove the horrid screen door effects of early models, and they are providing physical devices that are tracked in vr, and can be used by you as hands.

I have 2 of these vr sets, a early Rift dev kit, and a Gearvr headset. The difference between them is mind boggling. The rift dev kit 1 was a developer alpha-enough to see what was possible, but people barfed. Not the best $300 I have spent.... The GearVR came out a year ago, and is for phones. Its...amazing. The lack of computer horsepower limits it somewhat, but...wow. I've looked around mars, Ive seen places all over the world, watched the democratic primary debate as if I was standing near the stage, and able to watch the audience! But...it overheats, limited run time, and other issues...make it not quite there. But for $100? Awesome value.

Now I have a new generation one being sent to me in April. A Vive. This one overcomes a ton of the issues of the other two platforms. Both of which I purchased with a excellent comprehension of the issues. But...$800. Plus I will drop another $600 to upgrade my video card. But I have very high expectations of this one.

Heres an example of just how far virtual reality has came:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_PSZj1sCs

Whats next? Hololens. I just couldn't quite justify a $3,000 AR development platform until I have sales. But the developers sets are being sold now. And note, thats augmented reality, not virtual reality. And from a productivity point of view this is the one that excites me the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA

Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, we went through this before. Doesn't your livelihood depend on gov contracts? I showed you all the wasteful government spending on research. Examples of ridiculous spending can easily be found on google. Just for fun, even though I showed you many, many other examples

I wonder, will the following tax payer funded research help boost prosperity?

1) $171,000 To Study How Monkeys Gamble,
2) $856,000 To Film Mountain Lions Running On Treadmills,
3) Synchronized Swimming For Sea Monkeys,
4) Swedish Massages For Bunnies
6) $331,000 To Study Whether “Hangry” Spouses Are More Likely To Stab Voodoo Dolls,

You need to demand that government quit wasting "your" government contract money on things like that.

wastebook-2014-eight-absurd-government-projects-funded-with-your-money/

And they want more of our money to waste??????
Special pleading argument because there is corporate waste too.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,008,927 times
We need to make things that the rest of the world can afford to buy, then use American labor to make it, thats how you increase "prosperity".

Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 AM

9,271 posts, read 4,731,488 times
Robots.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:52 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,521,436 times
My immediate observation is that we really need to reinvest in America's infrastructure and come up with better ways to intellectualize traffic lights to keep commuter traffic moving in our large metropolises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or