U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:05 PM

6,078 posts, read 2,498,198 times

Advertisements

Inventors are holding back inventions because of our vulture capitalist society and lack of robust intellectual property protections for the individual inventors.

To many people DIDNT make a mint when they should have on various inventions over the past 20-30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM

3,010 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Inventors are holding back inventions because of our vulture capitalist society and lack of robust intellectual property protections for the individual inventors.

To many people DIDNT make a mint when they should have on various inventions over the past 20-30 years.
Sigh.

If you invent something and sell out for a big payday, you don't get to whine later when the buyer gets an even bigger payday. Inventions are either essentially worthless, need the resources of an established corporation to develop to full potential, or are called "unicorns" for a reason.

We're pretty much past the point where an "invention" is something an individual can turn into a success, the odd online thing or app with the lifespan of a mayfly aside.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:53 PM

6,078 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Sigh.

If you invent something and sell out for a big payday, you don't get to whine later when the buyer gets an even bigger payday. Inventions are either essentially worthless, need the resources of an established corporation to develop to full potential, or are called "unicorns" for a reason.

We're pretty much past the point where an "invention" is something an individual can turn into a success, the odd online thing or app with the lifespan of a mayfly aside.
Then people should not claim you can make a mint if you invent something and no one should be surprised when ideas are held back and the individual inventors attempt to do it on their own (which means they may run out of time before it comes to fruition and the invention dies with the inventor).

Also often times the inventor does not sell out, the intellectual property is straight up stolen, either through some kind of bogus employment paper work the employer made them sign just to get a job (even when they were not being paid to create said thing specifically) or they will just find it in the patent documents or other sources and straight up copy it. The vast majority of the time companies will try to pass off said "compensation" as the employees paltry pay rate and NOT an 8 figure pay out. The companies often times win in court and the inventor is left in poverty groveling for an at-will job with the rest of us because their "compenstation" was not retire into luxury level pay out.

THIS is mostly what happens and not someone selling out for 30 million dollars and then being butt hurt that the buyer made a billion.

All kinds of legal arguments can be constructed for why individual inventors should be stripped of their rights just dont be surprised when innovation comes to a screeching halt. I am not legally obligated to put my ideas out there if I choose not to or if I think that I cant get an 8 figure pay out.

IF I can build a fully functional proto type I may put out a performance video and sell to the highest bidder world wide. But only then would I put anything out there and it would give up none of the inner workings of the intellectual property until the 8 figures is transferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or