U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:14 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,539,642 times

Advertisements

I think one of the reasons of current stagnation is lack of big inventions.

For example invention of combustion engine was a major boost.

But since then we couldn't add up to it.

I think we need major inventions in energy, transport, manufacturing, health and software particularly AI

Obviously we're not gonna see these inventions this decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 05:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
After 40 yrs of outsourcing.... USA best be inventing MANUFACTURING if they want to renew a trade economy.

US government has 'sold-the-store' via NAFTA / similar
PUBLIC companies who must please the USA investor (short term gains) have robbed company product development budgets from new invention,
USA schools have been educating foriegn nationals to do the inventing,
USA consumers buy only on low price (unlike Europe manf states) so.... Sales / profits / $$$$ flow overseas.
USA stats indicate that our students of math and science stay in profession for less than 5 yrs....

Something has to change in our 'culture' to significantly change our trade economy. Hint: most often in history this means WAR... / social rebeliion ... USA does not have the balls (stamina) for a rebellion.

Many opportunities, few takers.

WATER solutions for the world would be top on my list, but is obviously not on the radar of USA. (Very self sufficiant with no care / knowledge that there are other places / needs in the world... Very evident if you are a USA person living overseas)

USA likes to send CASH... Sending solutions is the preferred social response. We are not too good at that. (Ever since WW2)

Lately, we have proven this.

We need a history lesson and a financial / political viability plan.

An energy plan would be a good start. (As we were warned to do only 43 yrs ago... 1973)
Other countries are amused at USA elections, we (USA) are a laughing stock.

BTW: My USA. Company has had 70 yrs of leading technical inventions, there are many great technologies ready to commercialize (including much AI, since 1990's). IRS business investment tax changes create much disincentive. Have you paid a qtly tax on a capital intensive business lately? It is really ugly out here.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-27-2016 at 06:09 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 AM

12,404 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I think one of the reasons of current stagnation is lack of big inventions.

For example invention of combustion engine was a major boost.

But since then we couldn't add up to it.

I think we need major inventions in energy, transport, manufacturing, health and software particularly AI

Obviously we're not gonna see these inventions this decade.
As long as we refuse to provide decent public funding for basic science without a fight, what do you expect? Researchers are forced to waste all their time chasing grants and have little left for actual research.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:32 AM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
WATER is a big problem in the Western States. By the time the Colorado gets to LA it's practically out of water. If we can solve our own water problems maybe we can sell it to the rest of the world.

Agricultural technology has helped us. No longer are we spending nearly half our income on food. Of course, drawbacks such as reduced need for farmhands, obesity (I know some of you guys will say, 'that's great, I love fat ladies.') and concern on chemicals.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:32 AM

11,920 posts, read 13,249,168 times
You used to get rich inventing things. Now the Chinese just steal ideas, make the products for a fraction of the cost, and reap all the rewards. This is why nobody wants to invest the time, money and effort to invent anything.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
WATER is a big problem in the Western States. By the time the Colorado gets to LA it's practically out of water. If we can solve our own water problems maybe we can sell it to the rest of the world.

Agricultural technology has helped us. No longer are we spending nearly half our income on food. Of course, drawbacks such as reduced need for farmhands, obesity (I know some of you guys will say, 'that's great, I love fat ladies.') and concern on chemicals.
But water is not an invention.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You used to get rich inventing things. Now the Chinese just steal ideas, make the products for a fraction of the cost, and reap all the rewards. This is why nobody wants to invest the time, money and effort to invent anything.
How can we stop this??

Old 02-27-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
How can we stop this??
Stop being so unwilling to fund science, education, and infrastructure without a fight...this would be an obvious start.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Stop being so unwilling to fund science, education, and infrastructure without a fight...this would be an obvious start.
But they don't respect IP.

I'm all for funding science but if you can't protect these ideas and models they're done for

Old 02-27-2016, 07:17 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Dad always said that if you could produce a new kind of battery, you could make a mint.

Think of it for a moment, how long it takes to charge a battery and then how quickly it is used up on full power. If one could come up with the technology to change that.....WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or