Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times

Advertisements

With the "rally" in the market of late, there are very unusual S&P 500 futures trades that are being executed in large volume with no apparent news at all that defy the "algorithm triggers" that usually intiate options purchases, based on oil and the VIX.

Now what the hell is going on? Are the Feds, in an attempt to save Obama's legacy, putting off the eventual decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 07:07 AM

106,626 posts, read 108,773,903 times
they certainly wouldn't have markets where we stood 16 years ago if that was the case . on an inflation adjusted basis we barely moved.

like when oil was rising and folks were screaming price fixing .

if that is the case then the oil company's and the plunge team are the worst price fixers in history .

Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Can they even do that

I mean is that legal??

Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Where are you seeing these trades? Where is it being reported if there isn't anything in the news?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:33 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,318 times
There is a website run by a trader/investor who talks about this sort of thing:

pebblewriter | technical analysis, economics and occasional rants on financial markets

But, in a nutshell, the manipulation of the stock market has been going on for many months (since late last year).

And I don't think it has anything to do with protecting Obama's legacy lmao...

Here are my theories for why it is happening:

1) To prevent stock-market collapse
2) To prevent economic crash (related to point #1; see also Great Depression)
3) To prevent Donald from winning the Presidency. Points 1 and 2 above would almost guarantee this.

And I honestly believe point #3 is the biggest driver in all of this.

The elites in the media, finance, government, etc., are absolutely TERRIFIED of Donald Trump IMHO. Also true of Bernie Sanders; unfortunately, his chances of winning are remote at this point

Last edited by Lycanmaster; 03-02-2016 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 02:07 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Can they even do that

I mean is that legal??
Secrets Of The Plunge Protection Team

yes it is legal. Ronald Reagan made it law.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Secrets Of The Plunge Protection Team

yes it is legal. Ronald Reagan made it law.
I never thought PPT was government

Obviously "some" buyers were saving indexes in interesting times.

I remember couple of months ago stocks fell like 6% and intraday they saved it and day closed positive

I believe it was on a Monday

Old 03-02-2016, 02:19 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,580 times
Quote:
I never thought PPT was government
The FED isn't government
Quote:

Obviously "some" buyers were saving indexes in interesting times.

I remember couple of months ago stocks fell like 6% and intraday they saved it and day closed positive

I believe it was on a Monday
Hmm is correct.

hard to bet against the FED's printing press short term. Long term?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:29 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
A complementary argument can be made from the opposite side: fundamentally, want went wrong, starting 30 December 2015? Nothing. And yet the market foreswore its almost perennial "Santa Claus Rally", and began instead a harrowing slide. Why? The "Manipulation" shout applies to the downside, just as much as to the upside.

Between Super Tuesday and the Syrian refugee crisis and whatnot, is anyone still paying attention to the latest unemployment numbers? February was another smashing month - despite winter doldrums and the usual post-Christmas layoff season. So why isn't the stock market thundering to new all-time highs? Why is nobody shrieking that nefarious string-pullers are jerking the market downward, preventing the S&P 500 from reaching a more natural position, say at 2500 or 2800?

I'm not saying that stocks are a screaming bargain. But I AM saying that if something is off-kilter, that if we have manipulation and dirty tricks and so forth, that we could make a credible case for a "crash incitement team", just as much as for a "plunge protection team".

Old 03-02-2016, 05:56 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A complementary argument can be made from the opposite side: fundamentally, want went wrong, starting 30 December 2015? Nothing. And yet the market foreswore its almost perennial "Santa Claus Rally", and began instead a harrowing slide. Why? The "Manipulation" shout applies to the downside, just as much as to the upside.

Between Super Tuesday and the Syrian refugee crisis and whatnot, is anyone still paying attention to the latest unemployment numbers? February was another smashing month - despite winter doldrums and the usual post-Christmas layoff season. So why isn't the stock market thundering to new all-time highs? Why is nobody shrieking that nefarious string-pullers are jerking the market downward, preventing the S&P 500 from reaching a more natural position, say at 2500 or 2800?

I'm not saying that stocks are a screaming bargain. But I AM saying that if something is off-kilter, that if we have manipulation and dirty tricks and so forth, that we could make a credible case for a "crash incitement team", just as much as for a "plunge protection team".
The only problem is that people don't believe those reports...

Angry Americans: How the 2008 Crash Fueled a Political Rebellion - Bloomberg Politics

Quote:
The one story about the U.S. economy that has virtually no traction among American voters right now is that it’s doing OK.
Anyone inclined to tell that story, as President Barack Obama did in his final State of the Union address in January, can find headline data to back it up. But primary-season revolts -- the Donald Trump mutiny against the Republican establishment, and the fiercer-than-expected challenge from Bernie Sanders against a Democratic frontrunner with all the advantages -- are driven by fed-up Americans saying it isn’t so...
And why would the financial/corporate/govt elites want to crash the market? Probably most of there wealth comes from it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics