Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Liquidity trap, my call back in 2009.
LOL yeah I bet just like Peter Schiff you correctly called 65 of the last 2 recessions.

Quote:
How about the next recession will look like the last one only worse?
And if it isn't, we know you'll decide which data is valid to claim it is anyway while dismissing the rest as invalid or cooked books. It is easy to always be right when everything is "some day you'll see" and being correct is as simple as picking your own reality.

Quote:
I'd invite you to look here for a jobs report that doesn't get revised after the fact.
Jobs report gets revised up, and it gets revised down. So do many other measures. Your response is irrelevant unless you're claiming there will be a revision that shows 0 jobs gained.

Quote:
After falling quarter on quarter for 23 qt in a row the credit card charge off rates should be at an all time low. A slow but steadily expanding economy will get you that. Now it isn't like it was for the past 6 years. They are going up so the slow expansion is over. The contraction has begun.
And if CC delinquencies are a measure of economy, why do you say the economy sucks when they are still at historical lows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The methodology they use. They look at tax revenues and tax reports. They count the new jobs, they don't do a statistical analysis.
You keep using the two quarters of credit card delinquencies to support your latest impending doom scenarios, yet like most economic data the commonly reported numbers are seasonally adjusted. If you don't like statistical analysis why do you lean on this data so much?

That data comes from right here: FRB: Charge-Off and Delinquency Rates on Loans and Leases at Commercial Banks

I've circled your two quarter increase, and the source showing all banks "SA" seasonally adjusted. So which is it, are we accepting data that uses statistical methods to give more accurate results or not? Your constant references to this two quarters increase seems at odds with your battle cry of rejected all data that is processed since it is "cooked books" by your definition. I guess it is only accepted when fits your world view?

Last edited by lieqiang; 03-09-2016 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Don't know. However, this article sheds more light regarding government statistics (and the US is certainly not the only offender in this regard):

5 Government Statistics You Can't Trust | Investopedia
But no where in the article does it point to nefarious forces. And no where in the article does it tell you what indicators to "trust".

Old 03-10-2016, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And no where in the article does it tell you what indicators to "trust".
That's easy! I've learned the simple rules from the people in this forum.

1. If the indicator supports your opinion, TRUST AS GOOD DATA
2. If the indicator does not support your opinion, COOKED BOOKS LIES PROPAGANDA

Granted this doesn't cover the advanced users where they can use/dismiss the same indicator or source depending on the situation, but I think those two rules will cover about 95% of it.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:42 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's easy! I've learned the simple rules from the people in this forum.

1. If the indicator supports your opinion, TRUST AS GOOD DATA
2. If the indicator does not support your opinion, COOKED BOOKS LIES PROPAGANDA

Granted this doesn't cover the advanced users where they can use/dismiss the same indicator or source depending on the situation, but I think those two rules will cover about 95% of it.
Unsupported assertions, anecdotal evidence, and outright making isht up are the more widely used methods.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
After falling quarter on quarter for 23 qt in a row the credit card charge off rates should be at an all time low. A slow but steadily expanding economy will get you that. Now it isn't like it was for the past 6 years. They are going up so the slow expansion is over. The contraction has begun.
Quote:

And if CC delinquencies are a measure of economy, why do you say the economy sucks when they are still at historical lows?
Allen Greenspan use to look at men's underwear sales to see how tight the economy was. At the start of an economic pinch they would drop first.

An interesting question indeed. Why would I say the economy sucks when they are at historic lows? In part because they are at historic lows. Where we are at doesn't represent business as usual from historic levels. Delinquencies going up after a long decline. Things are different.

Back in 2000's I would ask waitresses what their tips were like to see how the economy felt. A more resent indicator is how easy it is to get good pizza for free. (Sharp decline)

CC delinquencies, Baltic dry, and high Q free pizza, all headed in the same direction up till Jan 31.

So tighter economy is my read.

Quote:
... are seasonally adjusted.

The FED isn't actually part of the government. So Who is seasonally adjusting the numbers? And do I trust them? I trust the FED's seasonal adjustment where I don't trust the Governments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_lie

I think that the government is trying to head off economic disaster. Not an objectionable motive but if you are going to make informed decisions then you need accurate data. For example, the real unemployment rate is 15% but they publish 9.8% and so people don't tighten up like it was 15% and the bottom is softer. But if you count on the full effect of 9.8% and get caught out then you loose. If you count on the full 15% unemployment rate then everyone looses. If you split the difference then everyone wins including you.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:34 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But no where in the article does it point to nefarious forces. And no where in the article does it tell you what indicators to "trust".
The point is that you have to take most government statistics with big grain of salt.

Kevin Phillips, a former Republic strategist but now Independent, has written about this during the financial crisis in 2008:

[Report] | Numbers Racket, by Kevin Phillips | Harper's Magazine

Quote:
If Washington’s harping on weapons of mass destruction was essential to buoy public support for the invasion of Iraq, the use of deceptive statistics has played its own vital role in convincing many Americans that the U.S. economy is stronger, fairer, more productive, more dominant, and richer with opportunity than it actually is.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
An interesting question indeed. Why would I say the economy sucks when they are at historic lows? In part because they are at historic lows. Where we are at doesn't represent business as usual from historic levels. Delinquencies going up after a long decline. Things are different.
Exactly. Like many who ride an ideology you selectively shape reality to match your conclusion. CC delinquencies going up, must be sign of worsening economy! CC delinquencies low, must be sign of a bad economy! Pretty funny.

I'd be curious how you evaluate falling credit card delinquencies. Also bad!

Quote:
CC delinquencies, Baltic dry, and high Q free pizza, all headed in the same direction up till Jan 31.
I love me a few rounds of ZeroHedge Buzzword Bingo! Can I get a "Global Liquidity Tracker" for the diagonal?

Quote:
The FED isn't actually part of the government. So Who is seasonally adjusting the numbers? And do I trust them? I trust the FED's seasonal adjustment where I don't trust the Governments.
And how quickly you can slide from "hey this data is no good it isn't pure, cooked books!" to "well I trust their statistical modifications more so it's okay" after you find out the data you've been posting about also undergoes some massaging.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The point is that you have to take most government statistics with big grain of salt.
Without a doubt, one has to take all statistics with a grain of salt not just government ones.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The last thing the speculators that run this economy want is an economy that is strong enough to create demand for workers that wages increase. They are operating to maximize their profits at the expense of the rest of us. Increasing wages by restricting immigration is NOT on their To Do list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics