U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM

955 posts, read 1,444,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We need to stop commuting, and do more office based work from home. In my mind it is utterly ridiculous to drive to an office to just sit at a computer behind a desk. A nationwide high-speed internet initiative would be better than increasing the density of cities. Besides, how many people want to sacrifice their quality of life to live in an apartment? Not me, for sure.
Exactly. I would totally support a nationwide ulta high-speed internet initative a hundredfold over any light rail scheme. It works. I now can work on a clients stuff a thousand miles from where they are located. The improved internet system would only increase the potential and I get to live where I want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,977,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Exactly. I would totally support a nationwide ulta high-speed internet initative a hundredfold over any light rail scheme. It works. I now can work on a clients stuff a thousand miles from where they are located. The improved internet system would only increase the potential and I get to live where I want to live.
yes, but corps hate the idea of letting employees out from under their thumbs. don't expect it to happen for most people (that could do it) anytime soon.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,966,544 times
Well. He threatens to cut us off if Exxon wins its suit. I am not familiar with all the details. From what I remember, Venezuela just seized assets of Exxon because it felt like it. Sounds like a pretty good case for Exxon.

Chavez's threat should not impact the court's decision and Chavez will either carry out his threat or look even sillier.

In either case, we should be prepared and should think of these threats as an OPPORTUNITY to recalibrate our needs and options.

I pay 9 bucks a gallon where I live. My 9 seater van gets 28mpg. While I do think twice about just driving around, I try to maximize whenever we go on longer trips to load up with two families.

It does seem as if, on a regular basis, Americans do waste a lot more than people around the world. On the flip side, I sure am tired of the smell of wet laundry in the winter time and miss the smell and feel of warm clothes fresh from the dryer.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM

4,535 posts, read 6,369,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Well. He threatens to cut us off if Exxon wins its suit. I am not familiar with all the details. From what I remember, Venezuela just seized assets of Exxon because it felt like it. Sounds like a pretty good case for Exxon.

Chavez's threat should not impact the court's decision and Chavez will either carry out his threat or look even sillier.

In either case, we should be prepared and should think of these threats as an OPPORTUNITY to recalibrate our needs and options.

I pay 9 bucks a gallon where I live. My 9 seater van gets 28mpg. While I do think twice about just driving around, I try to maximize whenever we go on longer trips to load up with two families.

It does seem as if, on a regular basis, Americans do waste a lot more than people around the world. On the flip side, I sure am tired of the smell of wet laundry in the winter time and miss the smell and feel of warm clothes fresh from the dryer.
I do not see what the big deal about Chavez is either way. He seems to take better care of his people than their prior leadership -- which is not the case here (US).

So why do folks (and one Corporation) have all the cry-baby routines about him, here? At the end of the day, Exxon will find other oil to jack/buy/steal/whatever and sell to the Motoring Morons of America, and other folks will be lining up to buy Chavez's oil.

$9 in Italy? Suppose that would get folks attention in the US. Italy seems like it should have some great RE (renewable energy) options. Pretty good sunshine (tech term "insolation") and how about Geo-thermal with the local volcano activity?

Italy Launches New Solar PV Tariffs

Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 PM

4,075 posts, read 13,410,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
So why do folks (and one Corporation) have all the cry-baby routines about him, here? At the end of the day, Exxon will find other oil to jack/buy/steal/whatever and sell to the Motoring Morons of America, and other folks will be lining up to buy Chavez's oil.
You must think it is OK for a government to seize private property. Do you have a retirement fund or any mutual fund holdings? I ask because there is a very good chance that it was your property being taken. How much of your assets can be seized before you complain?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,166,574 times
Nationwide high-speed internet won't help much. Too many industries require their workers have direct contact with the end-user or have access to special or secure facilities. Healthcare, education, security, retail, wholesale distribution, transport services, military and defense consulting, etc. If you work in the back office and can work from home, why not just move it to another country?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,977,000 times
Latest Silicon Valley status symbol: The plug-in hybrid | Green Tech blog - CNET News.com

argh, 100 mpg!!!! or 250 miles per trip!!! i want either one!!!!!

i like exclamation points!!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM

4,535 posts, read 6,369,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
You must think it is OK for a government to seize private property. Do you have a retirement fund or any mutual fund holdings? I ask because there is a very good chance that it was your property being taken. How much of your assets can be seized before you complain?
Well, that is a little comical. Here I thought you would take exception to the phrase, "Motorinig Morons of America." But it is the heresy of the worship of Das Kapital that raises eyebrows? Sort of sad for America in that regard. I guess where your treasures are . . . ?

But as far as discerning my thoughts -- my thoughts are usually of the fix US, first. So if I were to find offense with government seizure of private assets it would start locally in Arlington, Texas with the seizure of private property for the Texas Cowboys. Billionaires who have to take from small businesses and single family home owners. Real class operations.

For your second question, no I do not have a retirement fund nor mutual fund that has ANY US Corporate holdings. Why would I fund my enemies and competitors -- let alone, Exxon? They are not exactly Good Folks Doing Good Things, now, are they?

Part of Dallas I am now, we have a different seizure problem. Just plain old theft. Local government takes the money, but will not enforce the laws.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM

4,075 posts, read 13,410,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Well, that is a little comical. Here I thought you would take exception to the phrase, "Motorinig Morons of America." But it is the heresy of the worship of Das Kapital that raises eyebrows? Sort of sad for America in that regard. I guess where your treasures are . . . ?

But as far as discerning my thoughts -- my thoughts are usually of the fix US, first. So if I were to find offense with government seizure of private assets it would start locally in Arlington, Texas with the seizure of private property for the Texas Cowboys. Billionaires who have to take from small businesses and single family home owners. Real class operations.

For your second question, no I do not have a retirement fund nor mutual fund that has ANY US Corporate holdings. Why would I fund my enemies and competitors -- let alone, Exxon? They are not exactly Good Folks Doing Good Things, now, are they?

Part of Dallas I am now, we have a different seizure problem. Just plain old theft. Local government takes the money, but will not enforce the laws.
And I guess you do not drive a car, travel on planes, or consume petroleum in any way. Obviously you do not condone forced sales through eminent domain so why would you give Chavez a pass in trying to steal hundreds of millions from US citizens?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 AM

2,842 posts, read 8,975,169 times
I haven't read all the posts. Chavez can try to halt all shipments of oil to the the US but we are either the only country or one of a very few that can process the type of crude oil that comes from Venezuela.

Further, Chevez is extremely peeved at the US (yet again) because he violated the terms of the contract that was in place between one of our oil companies (forget which one) and PDVSA. He is being sued big time for this breech of contract. He just doesn't like us .. plain and simple, but behind the scenes is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics