Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,509,345 times

Advertisements

It is a common misconception that just because something is manufactured in China it must be junk.

Sure they make a lot of junk things made in China that are junk, but this isn't 1990 where junk was the upper limit of their manufacturing capabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,460,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Just because the Harbor Freight tools are inexpensive does not mean they are junk. Because the tools are so cheap, I have sets of tools in my RV, in my garage and in the basement. All of these tools are made in China and of decent quality. They are every bit as good as my 20, 30, and 40+ year old tools from Sears.
Not had good luck with anything with a motor from harbor freight.

My neighbor was doing some metal work on his trailer and burned out two 4.5 angle grinders on one day... I let him use my Milwaukee circa 1980's that I used when I worked in a Tool and Die shop and no problems.

My friend went through 3 well pumps... had the extended warranty and when he brought the third one back the store refunded the purchase and warranty... he did not even ask.

We took a look when one started to smoke... the plastic gears inside were melting and this caused the motor to overheat... mine has metal gears.

Funny you should mention Sears... all the tools from the 1960's and 70's I inherited are solid... my cast iron table saw, saber saw, assorted drills... all Craftsman Sears Best... used my Sears Best 1975 30 gallon air compressor to paint cars... still have it today.

Don't get me wrong... Harbor freight provides value... just some of their offerings have more value.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM

33,816 posts, read 16,826,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It is a common misconception that just because something is manufactured in China it must be junk.

Sure they make a lot of junk things made in China that are junk, but this isn't 1990 where junk was the upper limit of their manufacturing capabilities.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,220,917 times
There are two possible futures:

1. Due to automation and contraction of the job market, we will bring forth a dystopia of forced sterilization, lotteries for the right to breed, and purging unneeded humans who can't compete.

or

2. City-Data crawing with morons complaining about seeing indigents buying lobster and steak with their food stamps.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,552,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
We are living in a new era now, one where technology, renewable energy and health care rule the job market and will continue to.

When political candidates from BOTH sides stand up there and lie to the American people and tell them they are "bringing back" manufacturing, it infuriates me. That will never happen unless outsourcing is stopped and IMO, that is not going to happen.

I believe there are jobs out there - we don't have the education and skills to fill them (in large numbers). We can get back on our feet, but it starts with the realization that times have changed and our skills and education need to, also.

There is hope ....
One thing I can tell you is that if you buy stuff that is still made in the USA. It's much better quality than anything coming from elsewhere.

Honda & Toyota build cars here and they're much more reliable than the crap that VW puts together in Mexico.

Manufacturing can exist here, just like in Japan that only the highest value products should be made on our soil.

The best Toyota and Lexus are made in Japan. We should expect Apple and GM to build products here. We have much higher standards and worth ethnics that other parts of the world.

The reason Apple build iPhones overseas is to abuse labor laws and cost, plain and simple. They rather give the Chinese the business to make it than have the social responsibility of building iPhones here and provide jobs and do business with small business.

Apple like other big corporate America are part of the elite establishments in America. Only a small group of people benefit from Apple's business. Their management and investors. They park all their profits overseas and they don't pay their real fair share of taxes.

We need to diversify jobs not go all in on services.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:14 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,556,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wealth gets reinvested.
In some other country...

They've been draining wealth from the US for the last 40 years. Demand was kept boosted with higher debt, but you can only do that so long.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,740,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The fact of the matter is that most people with low skills don't have the natural talent to compete in more mental or service oriented fields. And we've gutted the low skill market via offshoring and illegal immigration.

Even if we brought manufacturing back, it wouldn't bring back many jobs. Only a poor country engages in labor intensive manufacturing.

I agree. The sad fact is, not everyone is smart enough, to put it bluntly. There are so many hard workers out there who would never be able to get that specialized training, even if they could go to school for free. So where does that leave them? What are they to do? It is tragic, really, for so many people willing to work hard.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 PM

10 posts, read 8,256 times
I also believe that their are jobs out here. So many lack the skills as well as education it takes to get the jobs. It is up to us to teach our children that education has been very important. I wish that I was taught more about how important education is at a younger age.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,802,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
They're making a big deal about a chip fab plant near Saratoga that employs 1200. When I was a kid GE in Schenectady employed 50,000. That's the kind of work people need: something big that makes big things and lots of them. Not little bits of melted sand.
The modern microprocessor as found in a high end server or computer is the most complex thing ever invented or manufactured by mankind.

The employees in bunny suits inside those chip fabs typically have PhDs in materials science, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, solid state physics, chemistry... you get the idea. And they are well paid jobs.

Andy Grove, Intel employee #3, CEO of Intel, professor of management & strategy at Stanford Business School, and arguably the best CEO in America's history, just passed away. He is already turning in his grave over your comment about "little bits of melted sand."

Old 03-23-2016, 02:20 AM

105,997 posts, read 107,954,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
One thing I can tell you is that if you buy stuff that is still made in the USA. It's much better quality than anything coming from elsewhere.

Honda & Toyota build cars here and they're much more reliable than the crap that VW puts together in Mexico.

Manufacturing can exist here, just like in Japan that only the highest value products should be made on our soil.

The best Toyota and Lexus are made in Japan. We should expect Apple and GM to build products here. We have much higher standards and worth ethnics that other parts of the world.

The reason Apple build iPhones overseas is to abuse labor laws and cost, plain and simple. They rather give the Chinese the business to make it than have the social responsibility of building iPhones here and provide jobs and do business with small business.

Apple like other big corporate America are part of the elite establishments in America. Only a small group of people benefit from Apple's business. Their management and investors. They park all their profits overseas and they don't pay their real fair share of taxes.

We need to diversify jobs not go all in on services.
depends on what you are buying . my nissan's built here sucked compared to the ones i had built in japan .

there are many things we build here that are uncompetitive in value compared to what other country's can do . my chrysler product built in ohio is so poorly constructed they mis matched the fenders they put on it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics