Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
One person writing an extra check really doesn't impact the system. Clearly they are looking towards something other than your simply solution

That's irrelevant. If they want higher taxes, and they say they do and that they are willing to pay those higher taxes, THEY CAN DO THAT RIGHT NOW.

They can write a check to the US Treasury RIGHT NOW. They don't have to wait for the government to force them sometime later. If they really believe higher taxes are needed they can LEAD BY EXAMPLE... AND PAY NOW. And every month in the future.

But they don't. And you can be sure they take every deduction they possibly can.

Hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
How about a letter asking other millionaires to pay their workers more? Taxing people is similar to robbing people. The tax money doesn't go directly where it's needed.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:22 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
TThey can write a check to the US Treasury RIGHT NOW. They don't have to wait for the government to force them sometime later. If they really believe higher taxes are needed they can LEAD BY EXAMPLE... AND PAY NOW. And every month in the future. But they don't. And you can be sure they take every deduction they possibly can. Hypocrites.
They are petitioning the government to change the rules in a way that would benefit the whole. And this rule change happens to be one that would cost them money. Hypocrisy has nothing to do with it.

Let's get a show of hands for how many people would support changes that would benefit society even if it cost them a significant amount of money.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:24 PM

106,555 posts, read 108,696,306 times
they already get far to much of my hard earned money and squander it . i ain't a charity .

Old 03-22-2016, 02:34 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It never ceases to amaze me when people who are NOT top earners are so worried when the richest among us are asked to pay a fairer share of taxes. Do they actually think that they WILL be rich some day and want the system still to be game-able when they get there?
People are stupid, and easily manipulated by propaganda. It becomes this dogmatic religious thing. "IT'S MY MONEY!" "TAXATION IS THEFT!" "REDISTRIBUTION IS EVIL!".

Here we are on the economics forum and how many people are interested in economics? Not many...

Old 03-22-2016, 07:46 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,720,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is a big difference between having a million dollars which buys a 40k income in retirement and being wealthy , especially living in areas like nyc where 69k a year qualify's a family for life in a nyc housing project .
Shhhhhhh, everyone here thinks its 1964 still where 1 million dollars in net worth makes you a jet setting ultra-wealthy person who drives a Cadillac Coupe Deville, owns a coach wallet, gold watch, lives in a 5 bedroom estate on Star Island in Miami and has vacation homes on the SF Peninsula and a New York City Penthouse..

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Shhhhhhh, everyone here thinks its 1964 still where 1 million dollars in net worth makes you a jet setting ultra-wealthy person who drives a Cadillac Coupe Deville, owns a coach wallet, gold watch, lives in a 5 bedroom estate on Star Island in Miami and has vacation homes on the SF Peninsula and a New York City Penthouse..
To be fair there is a lot of people struggling in america and corporations have never been more profitable. At some point we really need to demand more out of the uber wealthy. This whole notion that corporation only responsibility is to generate as much profit as possible borderlines on exploitation.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
To be fair there is a lot of people struggling in america and corporations have never been more profitable. At some point we really need to demand more out of the uber wealthy. This whole notion that corporation only responsibility is to generate as much profit as possible borderlines on exploitation.
I am not one of those "Cadillac driving millionaires" but I have a net worth that's a multiple higher than the median millennial. I didn't do it by blaming the "ultra wealthy". I did it by taking advantage of opportunity and betting big and bold. Maybe you can join them by working hard AND smart. Taxation makes my life hard enough as it is.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:03 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I am not one of those "Cadillac driving millionaires" but I have a net worth that's a multiple higher than the median millennial. I didn't do it by blaming the "ultra wealthy". I did it by taking advantage of opportunity and betting big and bold. Maybe you can join them by working hard AND smart. Taxation makes my life hard enough as it is.
Not sure why you feel the need to have such a condescending tone. Given your insecurities and the need to prove yourself, it is pretty obvious to me that I am far more successful than you are. Yet even I can have sympathy for the less fortunate in our society. The lack of empathy in today's society is rather disturbing.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Not sure why you feel the need to have such a condescending tone. Given your insecurities and the need to prove yourself, it is pretty obvious to me that I am far more successful than you are. Yet even I can have sympathy for the less fortunate in our society. The lack of empathy in today's society is rather disturbing.
I doubt you're more successful than me unless you own a SFH in NYC. Regardless it's not a lack of empathy, it's the belief that a person should pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics