Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,954 times

Advertisements

welcome to china!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
But let's say this was true... if all the people ditch their harder $15/hr job for easier $15/hr jobs, they'll find that there are x # of easier jobs available, while there are y number of them where y is greater. They'll have to stay put. Besides, if their harder jobs really are harder, that could translate into better skills, which gets them to move on to better jobs, and quicker than the easier $15/hr jobs.
That is a good argument. There is some truth that the number of easy $15/hr jobs will be limited. If somebody is in a stressful $15/hr management job with great responsibility and is looking at the $15/hr job of putting widgets in boxes at a relaxed pace for 8 hours straight, I agree that there will be some competition for the easy $15/hr jobs.

At the same time, I would argue that management is slow to increase wages and give raises. Some here talk like the raises are going to come overnight. The $15/hr minimum passes and you come into work the next day making $18/hr because they don't want to lose you. I think the raises would be much slower and immediate raises would be rare.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
From what I can tell, low wage jobs usually aren't easier, they just require less talent.
That's an interesting point. It may very well be that difference. Rather than label these jobs as easier, the appropriate label may be less skilled.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,773 times
Quote:
Yes, they could have! They would have grown more slowly though, and the oligarchs on both sides would not have gotten nearly as rich.

The best approach, and something we actually have control over, is lower the US$ value to acheive approximate trade neutrality. Not trade neutrality with any particular country, just overall. There are plenty of areas where the US can have a comparative advantage and increase exports, if only the US$ wasn't so damned overvalued.
That $'s value can be pushed with what I'm talking about. We have a global debt bubble I'm looking at global wage inflation to deal with it. The minimum wage can be used to get wage inflation in a deflationary macro economic environment.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:58 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
That $'s value can be pushed with what I'm talking about. We have a global debt bubble I'm looking at global wage inflation to deal with it. The minimum wage can be used to get wage inflation in a deflationary macro economic environment.
Debt and deflation can be easily dealt with directly by printing money.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Debt and deflation can be easily dealt with directly by printing money.
Wealth distribution is another thing entirely

Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Wealth distribution is another thing entirely
That's easily dealt with as well by manipulating things we can control. Foreign wages isn't one of them.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
That's easily dealt with as well by manipulating things we can control. Foreign wages isn't one of them.
we don't control foreign wages but we very well can influence them.

We can control our taxes. And with that we can manipulate the world's economy.

And with a global not national economy the wealth distribution just got really skewed. The bottom end in the US is competing with the middle world wide. The bottom world wide is so far from the top world wide that it isn't ever in the same universe.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:23 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
In the real world, people currently making $15/hr are worth substantially more than the floor wage. Else they wouldn't be making $15. If the floor rises to $15/hr then they are still worth more than the floor wage and can and will command a higher salary. The market naturally adjusts.

From what I can tell, low wage jobs usually aren't easier, they just require less talent.
If everyone salary increases, then consumption will rise. Who will produce all those new things they buy?

Thats not how it works, as shown to you earlier, higher minimum wage lead to unemployment for low skilled workers, hence the MW wage workers left produce more value. In addition, a high skilled worker is not likely to switch for a low skilled job.

People with $15 are not likely to receive much of a raise, unless the manage MW workers. Because cost rise, the result is lower wages.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I strongly agree with #'s 1, 3 and 4 which would go a long way towards helping the working poor. However, do you really think those would be easier to pass than minimum wage increases?
Not easier to pass, but smarter to pass. Not everything that sound good is good, MW should be used to support the very poor, not as a tool to raise wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
We've already got people saying that a higher minimum wage is tantamount to welfare. I shudder to think about the criticism that child care and maternity leave would bring. People across the country would cry out that we shouldn't pay for "free stuff for lazy people."
I think if progressives focused on those issues, then at least they could implement it in left wing states. It will most likely be very popular, because it is very popular in Europe. The success would be noticed by other states, and eventually the rest of the country will adopt the same policy.

The $15 MW increase is likely to be failure, because it is too high, and will make it harder to get the left wing reforms I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics