U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:14 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,113,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
How much and where?

I don't know the details - I guess that's not taught in history class - but I assume it was not trivial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Please explain how their children made a difference in property taxes?

Children make a difference in local government spending, e.g. kids in public schools are expensive to educate. That's why there used to be an informal rule of thumb used by some local governments where studio apartments (no kids = no school spending) were more welcome than 2BR or 3BR apartments (likely to have multiple kids = high school spending).

Old 05-22-2016, 03:18 PM

18,631 posts, read 10,215,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Children make a difference in local government spending, e.g. kids in public schools are expensive to educate. That's why there used to be an informal rule of thumb used by some local governments where studio apartments (no kids = no school spending) were more welcome than 2BR or 3BR apartments (likely to have multiple kids = high school spending).
That does not explain why in a section of existing homes, the number of children (or lack thereof) in a particular house would make a difference in the property tax for that specific house. I don't believe that's the case.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:24 PM

5,266 posts, read 3,492,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That does not explain why in a section of existing homes, the number of children (or lack thereof) in a particular house would make a difference in the property tax for that specific house. I don't believe that's the case.
It's not. He's upset about paying property taxes at all, of which about half go to the school system in a locality + whatever bond packages are part of his taxes.

I don't have kids either, but I happily pay the local taxes & vote for reasonable school district bond issues because my community is better off for good schools. The school district is among the top 5 employers in my town and the spending of those hundreds of people working for them making half-way decent salaries make me better off, improve my property value, etc....

The only school bonds I vote against are the ones that are poorly worded/unclear or go mostly for athletic infrastructure.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 AM

41,505 posts, read 50,091,211 times
I support good schools for may reasons. One is a educated population is less likely to fall for the hype of a political salesman and the other is educated workers are likely to pay higher social security tax which supports higher payments. I really like that.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's not. He's upset about paying property taxes at all, of which about half go to the school system in a locality + whatever bond packages are part of his taxes.

I don't have kids either, but I happily pay the local taxes & vote for reasonable school district bond issues because my community is better off for good schools. The school district is among the top 5 employers in my town and the spending of those hundreds of people working for them making half-way decent salaries make me better off, improve my property value, etc....

The only school bonds I vote against are the ones that are poorly worded/unclear or go mostly for athletic infrastructure.

BZZT! I'm not upset about property taxes when rates are uniform, only when rental property is taxed up the wazoo in order to tax owner-occupied homes at a lower rate - which is how property taxes work in most states.

In Michigan, the school property tax rate on rental property is four times the rate on owner-occupied homes. Please explain why I should support that.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:53 PM

9,571 posts, read 7,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Uh people without property do have issues and concerns that need to be addressed by the politicians and money should not rule everything.

They should INVEST in the country and buy some property. Then we will listen to what they say.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM

18,631 posts, read 10,215,605 times
Quote:
BZZT! I'm not upset about property taxes when rates are uniform, only when rental property is taxed up the wazoo in order to tax owner-occupied homes at a lower rate - which is how property taxes work in most states.

In Michigan, the school property tax rate on rental property is four times the rate on owner-occupied homes. Please explain why I should support that.
Not talking about you, talking about post #68

Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM

15,448 posts, read 8,845,252 times
Quote:

Rates ARE uniform. Businesses are taxed at a different rate than owner-occupied homes. You refuse to acknowledge that a rental is a business. Yes, it's your home, but it's a BUSINESS.

Should I be exempt from sales tax if I buy an RV, if I plan to live in it?

PS - I think I've debunked your wild accusation regarding property taxes in Michigan before.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 PM

25,058 posts, read 27,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Only white male adult property-owners have the right to vote.

Last religious prerequisite for voting is eliminated.

Property ownership and tax requirements eliminated by 1850. Almost all adult white males could vote.

Connecticut adopts the nation's first literacy test for voting. Massachusetts follows suit in 1857. The tests were implemented to discriminate against Irish-Catholic immigrants.

The 15th Amendment is passed. It gives former slaves the right to vote and protects the voting rights of adult male citizens of any race.

Womens suffrage.
The political system has effectively been gamed for decades so that elections are of little importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or