Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,747,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
15% of US manufacturing jobs were permanently eliminated by technology substitution between 2000-2010. I suspect an equal number will be eliminated between 2010-2020- 30% over a 20 year period.

It's a global challenge.

Either we adapt or not.
An economic equilibrium will be reached at some point. If people are forced out of their jobs, they have no money to buy things and consuming will grind to a halt. If nobody is consuming, there is no need for all those robots to mass produce all the junk people consume. The robot industry will be self limiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:56 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,542,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nope , the field is still wide open . i was never out of work more than a day in 40 years . in fact the field is starving for people .

one popular poster in these forums said these jobs i speak of don't exist . so i sent him a link to the company i retired from looking for so many slots still to be filled .

needless to say he is now a believer and sent in his own resume yesterday . if it is okay with him i will even tell you who but i would not disclose who publicly without checking
Send this link to me too please.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:59 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,567,649 times
Quote:
nope , the field is still wide open . i was never out of work more than a day in 40 years . in fact the field is starving for people .
Of course the automation field is starving for people! It doesn't take a genius to know that.

And while you are putting everyone else out of a job and loving your "specialness" because you happen to have a talent that is in demand, eventually you will put yourself out of a job as well.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:01 AM

106,213 posts, read 108,191,934 times
to late to wish that on me -i have no job now --- i am happy to report i retired in july at a fairly young age .

now just an unemployed bum who teaches motor controls and variable frequency drives 2 days a month because i enjoy it and i like bringing others up to speed .

Old 04-02-2016, 11:05 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,166,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
At the end of it, you are still out of a job and in the same boat as everyone else. Focusing solely on outrunning the other guy until the same fate hits you doesn't seem wise.
Life is dodgeball. Stand still too long and you're out of the game. Sometimes you get hit by accident or bad luck but for those who want to play, there's always another game.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
i have no job now --- i am happy to report i retired in july at a fairly young age .
Got any kids? Or maybe just some empathy for humanity?

Not all of us are focused on fighting for one of the lifeboats. We are trying to keep the damn ship from sinking!

Old 04-02-2016, 11:07 AM

106,213 posts, read 108,191,934 times
lots of kids and grand kids . the kids are all doing very well .

one is a partner in a national law firm , the other a cpa for one of the most successful hedge fund managers in history and the other owns an auto leasing business .

Old 04-02-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
one is a partner in a national law firm , the other a cpa for one of the most successful hedge fund managers in history and the other owns an auto leasing business .
All those will be obsolete.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,904,883 times
We already have millions of people collecting some kind of welfare benefits. We also have a form of "workfare" where someone works a minimum wage job at Walmart and collects government benefits.

But just because a job can be automated does not necessarily mean it will be, particularly in customer facing roles. Many people still prefer a live person to be served by.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:18 AM

7,629 posts, read 4,547,700 times
Quote:
to late to wish that on me -i have no job now --- i am happy to report i retired in july at a fairly young age .

now just an unemployed bum who teaches motor controls and variable frequency drives 2 days a month because i enjoy it and i like bringing others up to speed .
Mathjak are you reporting that you are able to stop working and pursue your own goals? Don't you long for the many generations of our forefathers that worked until they died and always had work to do? Sun up til sun down work work work interrupted by the rare holiday...which still meant work for whoever is cooking.

Personally, I've no problem eliminating all the ice man jobs for a fridge. Those guys deliver pizza now. Tomorrow when drones deliver pizza maybe they'll have to input the drone routes, or repair the drones, or deliver things that are too delicate to be delivered by drones.

Or maybe the ice will be free, and the pizza will be free, the delivery will be free because there's nobody to pay. And because there's nobody to pay, nobody cares how widespread delivery is. Maybe it will just be part of a new version of neighborhood, where these types of resources are shared.

Whatever it is, I'm not worried. Most people hate their jobs. I think they'll be much nicer to one another when they don't have to work to live, but can contribute when they want.

Mathjak, do you think your teaching is more pleasurable than if you had to do it everyday or you couldn't afford rent food etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics