Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 05:31 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times

Advertisements

Wow. Just jaw dropping blatant misinformation by the National Review.

They never once mention what the minimum wages (mandated by unions) actually are in those countries! They are in fact >$15/hr.

This is worth quoting for all those who think it will cause unemployment. "Yes, the average unemployment rate is about four percentage points lower in countries with no minimum-wage laws (but very high union MW) than in neighboring countries."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Northern Europe has a different culture. Unions have very strong bargaining leverage there. Furthermore, the businesses are fine with it. Labor leaders have a seat on corporate governance boards. This is not something they dispute or resist.

We don't have that kind of labor-business cooperation in the U.S. The culture in those countries, as a German businessman once told me, is that "we would not low-ball people." Emphasis on would not. "Low-ball" is my translation... he said "betrügen" which means "cheat" or "defraud," which tells you what they think about not paying workers what they're worth.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-14-2016 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 06:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Offering a certain wage of X per hour and then having the employee agree to that wage is not cheating though..
If employers are offering a wage and then not paying for the work done , that would be cheating.

If someone wants to make a certain amount per hour they should have to demonstrate that their labor is worth that amount.
Also the fact is that most small businesses really don't make that much themselves.
There are people behind these businesses, and there are lot's of business owners that struggle to make much while making sure their employees get paid.

I know the attitude of the Pro $15 crowd is "Screw em if they don't wanna pay!" But less businesses means less jobs for employees. Simple fact.

The Pro $15hr crowd is viewing this from an emotional point of view, with little understanding of the reality behind these 'experiments' and that is the core problem.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If you agree to work for $5 a day that's on the employee .
Countiries like Denmark , which is Bernie Sanders goal for the U.S doesn't have a legal minimum wage .
Nobody working for $5 a day there .

The market should decide the wage .

Problem now is in L.A even if someone wanted to work for $14.50 hr an employer wouldn't legally be allowed to pay them that amount .
It will lower employment opportunities and under the table type of arrangements are going to skyrocket .
The " official number of employees " will be different than the actual amount of employees..

If the market should decide the wage, shouldn't the market also decide the size and quality and density of dwellings?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Yeah, you need to adjust your Life-Style and Standard of Living. You're not entitled to Cable/Satelliite TV.

Except that people like you use government to prevent these people from adjusting their standard of living below your vaulted standards!

Because of people like you, property owners are not allowed to offer tiny and dense and lower-quality homes to low-wage workers.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
But less businesses means less jobs for employees. Simple fact.
Except that all your "premises" and "arguments" that result in gloom and doom are nothing but fantasies in your mind.

Keep those links coming! They do an excellent job of proving that there is nothing to worry about.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Except that all your "premises" and "arguments" that result in gloom and doom are nothing but fantasies in your mind.

Keep those links coming! They do an excellent job of proving that there is nothing to worry about.

The links prove my points, but it's ok if people want to ignore the reality of the situation.
I guess all these business owners are just bluffing about what they plan to do.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I guess all these business owners are just bluffing about what they plan to do.
Business owners rarely understand economics. All they see is costs going up, and completely ignore the fact that demand will increase as well.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:26 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Business owners rarely understand economics. All they see is costs going up, and completely ignore the fact that demand will increase as well.
There we go. Costs rise, so prices have to go up. But don't worry demand will increase.

I suspect a lot of business owners don't understand your version of economics. Instead they might have actually studied economics and have also seen some of it in their own business experience. Typically rising prices dampen customer enthusiasm but obviously the opposite happens in your world.

I guess I got it backwards like all of those business owners. I went to the grocery store today. I was thinking about firing up the grill and having a steak. When I saw the $15-18/lb prices for good quality steaks, I picked up some chicken instead.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There we go. Costs rise, so prices have to go up. But don't worry demand will increase.

I suspect a lot of business owners don't understand your version of economics. Instead they might have actually studied economics and have also seen some of it in their own business experience. Typically rising prices dampen customer enthusiasm but obviously the opposite happens in your world.

I guess I got it backwards like all of those business owners. I went to the grocery store today. I was thinking about firing up the grill and having a steak. When I saw the $15-18/lb prices for good quality steaks, I picked up some chicken instead.
Yeah this doesn't make sense at all . Higher prices and people are going to be spending more?
Right now fast food combos are pretty expensive . I don't see people being to excited to pay $10 plus for a combo meal .
I think more people will decide to make their own food because they just won't be able to afford the luxury of buying fast food anymore.
It's going to be like in 3rd world countries where fast food is more a luxury for people .

There is no doubt in my mind that the average business owner understands that customers are price sensitive
I hear about it all the time about places being worried to raise prices even if their cost goes up . They know how price sensitives customers are .
Even rich customers don't like price increases .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics