Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,614,001 times

Advertisements

There's a PS about holding cash. It's possible that we will see a currency crisis one day that will greatly reduce the value of the dollar. Keep an eye out and move money offshore if that looks to be happening.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,088,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oh boo hoo. Vietnam was not that bad a deal for those who came back in one piece. .......
No, not a bad deal at all except for those who died, were maimed, suffered from PTSD, lost a couple of years of their lives, learned nothing of value during their military careers, or had a hard time adjusting when they came back.

Other than that it was great. I guess there was supposed to be some preferential treatment in hiring but with a 20% unemployment rate that was hard to see.

Then after a couple of years of military service and a couple of years of trying to make some money and get readjusted some of us did go back to school on the GI bill. Going back after that number of years was hard and the benefit check was pretty small.

By the time I was finally able to think about buying a house the mortgage rates were in the 10-14% range.

Let me think. Would I take all of that for 5% unemployment, <4% mortgage rates, and not being half deaf from the artillery?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,558,275 times
Let's see if they can turn their infatuation with their phones and social media into a money making enterprise. Some of them already have. The rest will have to get a job like the rest of us.

End of story. Mods, you can close this one out too.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,540,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Let's see if they can turn their infatuation with their phones and social media into a money making enterprise. Some of them already have. The rest will have to get a job like the rest of us.

End of story. Mods, you can close this one out too.
How can you make money with this hogwash??

Old 05-04-2016, 03:19 PM

13,593 posts, read 9,632,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I think decline of corporate earnings is about competition.

Just like labor market.

Now American workers are competing with Mexico, China, Europe and emerging markets.

But so are companies!!!

Unprecedented competition!!!

They didn't have anything like that in 1960s.
But then, why aren't the Chinese and Mexican companies sporting record profits? And since when was free-competition deleterious for the market? It might explain why dowdy American stalwarts would be suffering, but that's not the case. The American stock market is healthier than most of its peers.

Quote:
You just need to have a pretty good pile of cash to be able to take advantage of windfall opportunities.
It's hard to argue against the sensibility of cash reserves. But how large should they be? If my cash reserve is small, then my opportunity in a bear-market is limited. If my cash reserve is large, then is it not the case, that I'd foregone years and years of market ascendancy?

Quote:
I'm sure that by now you wish you had moved your growth funds into money markets last year. Bear markets don't last forever, and part of "buy low, sell high" is remembering to sell high.
I'd argue that "selling high" could just as easily forestall holding on to yet higher highs. It's great to lock in the proceeds of a windfall, say in some speculative venture that happens to go in one's favor. But for broad investments such as stock indices, how do succeed in the double-task, of (1) calling correctly the temporary high, and (2) piling back into the market during a subsequent temporary low?

As for "being sure", well, had I caught the exact pinnacle of the market in May of 2015, then yes, I'd feel well-justified smugness in having been in money-markets over the past year. But if I'd missed that magic date by just a few months in either direction, then a 0% money-market wouldn't exactly have been cause to gloat.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,894,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am just sick of this age old debate about who had it easier .
Me too. And there's a sticky about generation wars like this.

I try to leave threads open for actual Economics discussion but when it inevitably dissolves into this, I have to close the threads. Repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics