Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times

Advertisements

At first I thought the increase in consumer prices including housing was about my limited buying power being retired yet with a more substancial funds ringing up monthly over many friends also retired ,but in bondage to card and overpriced house debt. Our closest friends bought a new home for 130K in Florida , but a year later in the same subdivision the same homes sold for 68K! ( a few larger then theirs with enclosed porches!!). When I took my grandchid to the doctor here in NC I picked up a mag. listing hundreds of homes from 109K to 6.5 million with NOTHING lower (some looked like dumps even converted garages with one bedroom!) Mountian folks ( not all) tend to have zero interest , vision, or plan when selling their pathetically dated , worn out properties ( where the money at?) ,just put them on the market smells and all, stains, filth ,panelling , 1950 green refrigerators, rotting curtains and lots that are hard to describe unless you have had an indian guide present!! So my point is housing is 45% to 60% overpriced nationally 90% of the time ( aging physical problematic scams is what I call them) ,but in fairness not ones extensively remodeled. Property taxes are always seemingly the default to communities circling the drain financially ( thousands of communities). Hardware for do it yourself prodjects require doing the math as they are NOT a bargin anymore . Materials often marked up 400% including building matierials , paints (a real sucker scam). The largest increase shared by friends are moving expenses and Penske or U-Haul dropping their unlimited miles and gone are the quotes once within reason. To move a 10X10 storage items to NC would begin at Penske $900.00-$1000 plus gas and lodging to NC and UHaul $1400 15 ft smallest truck ONE WAY!! This is forcing us to by a trailer and borrow a friends truck and bypass these pirates!! Be careful my friends you can really get burned!!!. Food is one other example whereby seemingly a half full cart costs $80 where a few years ago it would be full!!! We easliy drop $250 routinely at Walmart and Sams . You get to the car and the first thing we say ...... what's in your wallet? Capital one another nuisance attempting to loan at 26% ( who are these greed mongers?) Just doesn't stop until America becomes totally insolvent?

Last edited by openmike; 05-05-2016 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
At first I thought the increase in consumer prices including housing was about my limited buying power being retired yet with a more substancial funds ringing up monthly over many friends also retired ,but in bondage to card and overpriced house debt. Our closest friends bought a new home for 130K in Florida , but a year later in the same subdivision the same homes sold for 68K! ( a few larger then theirs with enclosed porches!!). When I took my grandchid to the doctor here in NC I picked up a mag. listing hundreds of homes from 109K to 6.5 million with NOTHING lower (some looked like dumps even converted garages with one bedroom!) Mountian folks ( not all) tend to have zero interest , vision, or plan when selling their pathetically dated , worn out properties ( where the money at?) ,just put them on the market smells and all, stains, filth ,panelling , 1950 green refrigerators, rotting curtains and lots that are hard to describe unless you have had an indian guide present!! So my point is housing is 45% to 60% overpriced nationally 90% of the time ( aging physical problematic scams is what I call them) ,but in fairness not ones extensively remodeled. Property taxes are always seemingly the default to communities circling the drain financially ( thousands of communities). Hardware for do it yourself prodjects require doing the math as they are NOT a bargin anymore . Materials often marked up 400% including building matierials , paints (a real sucker scam). The largest increase shared by friends are moving expenses and Penske or U-Haul dropping their unlimited miles and gone are the quotes once within reason. To move a 10X10 storage items to NC would begin at Penske $900.00-$1000 plus gas and lodging to NC and UHaul $1400 15 ft smallest truck ONE WAY!! This is forcing us to by a trailer and borrow a friends truck and bypass these pirates!! Be careful my friends you can really get burned!!!. Food is one other example whereby seemingly a half full cart costs $80 where a few years ago it would be full!!! We easliy drop $250 routinely at Walmart and Sams . You get to the car and the first thing we say ...... what's in your wallet? Capital one another nuisance attempting to loan at 26% ( who are these greed mongers?) Just doesn't stop until America becomes totally insolvent?
I agree with you, too.

Me is totally through with them.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:27 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Not nearly done ranting as we are being arbitrarily kicked in the teeth with nearly every segment of retail,community, and industry increasing prices . There is a huge discrepancy in many prices . Went to buya small tank of propane Walmart $.2.95. Hardware store $5.95!! Mayonnaise was $1.99 32 oz now
$3.99!! It's a universal scam without any clue they are scamming . I believe each individual retailer eachassessed product is increased just for the sake of increasing . No one controls pricing it just is the sum of "I think we should charge more".

Old 05-06-2016, 10:41 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
No one controls pricing it just is the sum of "I think we should charge more".
Ultimately, the consumer controls the pricing. I bet you bought the propane you were shopping for at Wal-Mart rather than the hardware store. THAT'S how prices are set.

There's no "illusion of buying power." If an item sells at price X, it's because someone out there has the money to purchase it at price X. if a merchant overprices an item, he either has to keep the merchandise on the shelf indefinitely, or lower the price to one which a customer is willing to pay. There's no "force customers to buy it at price X anyway" option available.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Ultimately, the consumer controls the pricing. I bet you bought the propane you were shopping for at Wal-Mart rather than the hardware store. THAT'S how prices are set.

There's no "illusion of buying power." If an item sells at price X, it's because someone out there has the money to purchase it at price X. if a merchant overprices an item, he either has to keep the merchandise on the shelf indefinitely, or lower the price to one which a customer is willing to pay. There's no "force customers to buy it at price X anyway" option available.

this is one of my supreme - short list - of pet peeves. In the '80s, as my neighbors became affluent, rents necessarily skyrocketed and I faced five rent increases in five years, was priced out and had to move three times, and spent Reagan's last four months homeless and sleeping in my employer's offsite storage,

And they accuse poor people of class warfare when it's the affluent who are displacing the poor from their homes.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:24 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
But...but...but...the solution to your quagmire is so easy.

All you have to do is pull yourself up by the bootsraps and get a better education and higher paying job.

I mean you know. It really is that simple.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:51 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'm really not seeing much inflation over the past couple of years. Rent, health care, and education are the big drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics