Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:33 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times

Advertisements

Participation continues to drop.

The most interesting thing is unemployment didn't go down either

562,000 Workers Drop Out Of The Labor Force As Participation Rate Resumes Drop | Zero Hedge

I don't think they're all retired cause we know they are having a tough time retiring!!

Productivity is going down as well!!

I mean if this continues participation will go down as low as 50%.

This is scary!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

The most interesting thing is unemployment didn't go down either

562,000 Workers Drop Out Of The Labor Force As Participation Rate Resumes Drop | Zero Hedge

I don't think they're all retired cause we know they are having a tough time retiring!!

Productivity is going down as well!!

I mean if this continues participation will go down as low as 50%.

This is scary!!
Better buy bullets and canned food chicken little!

Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
I am one of those who recently dropped out. I retired.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:32 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I see people quitting jobs for better ones. Many of the restaurants, fast food places, pizza places, etc have had help wanted signs up forever. I'm sure many boomers are retiring, and they likely have no interest in doing these jobs.

Even though manufacturing has slowed, I'm seeing all kinds of help wanted signs and listings for industrial jobs, a big driver of the local economy in my area.

Doesn't seem to be any problem, other than the fact that jobs are going unfilled. Most of the companies I have worked for have had a hard time finding additional help.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:08 PM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am one of those who recently dropped out. I retired.
me too .--retired .

there is such a demand for people in our industry that head hunters are pirating the better employees like crazy . much of what is not working long term is unemployed for a reason at this point and most likely lack of jobs isn't the reason . employers don't want them for many reasons

Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Did you look at the chart you posted? It's the same as it was 3 years ago.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:38 PM

it does not matter what they post . if it shows something that can be declared a negative then up it goes .

you think these dooms day'ers would be posting things about how to do better and over come the hand they are dealt since dollars to donuts they are posting this stuff because they are not financially successful . but nope , they just keep passing the doom and gloom articles to each other

Old 05-06-2016, 03:47 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I see people quitting jobs for better ones. Many of the restaurants, fast food places, pizza places, etc have had help wanted signs up forever. I'm sure many boomers are retiring, and they likely have no interest in doing these jobs.

Even though manufacturing has slowed, I'm seeing all kinds of help wanted signs and listings for industrial jobs, a big driver of the local economy in my area.

Doesn't seem to be any problem, other than the fact that jobs are going unfilled. Most of the companies I have worked for have had a hard time finding additional help.
Many jobs go unfilled because employers are way too picky with candidates or they don't want to train a candidate that needs a little training to be able to do the job. Since there are so many applicants for each job-no matter what the job may be-employers have no urgency.

-Cheers.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:55 PM

it isn't as much as employers are picky but this is the age of information access .

you can't imagine how many folks on all levels we get coming in for positions and they can't pass a drug test , a back ground check or credit check .

good employees are rarely let go unless a company folds . that best of breed usually gets snatched up by competitors before their body's hit the job market .

it is those dispensable employees that are the ones that usually end up looking .

so they are generally not the best from the get go .

i know my company i retired from has lots of jobs but they have a hard time getting people who can pass muster .

in fact they do an extensive amount of training too for newbees , i retired but still teach a few technical product lines 2 days a month for them . but finding decent employees is tough today when you can pre screen so easily .

the use of drugs today on all levels and ages is just insane .

Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

the use of drugs today on all levels and ages is just insane .

America consumes more opiates than any other country, by a wide margin. I think pot is the big one that causes people to fail though. It will almost certainly be legalized in my lifetime. What ever will companies do then???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics