Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

Go buy a copy of "The Big Short". Watch it three times.

Then when the similar film comes out three days from now, go see that one too. That one has George Clooney in it.

Then think about all the establishment types talking about a "summer of rage". Here's a fact to ponder. Why has our government bought 350,000 survival kits that will allow ranking federal employees to walk home if they can make it in three days. They have provided these to high level banking employees also. Then think about Obama's youth corps and the billions of rounds of 40 cal S&W pistol ammo bought for them. Can you say brown shirts?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Then when the similar film comes out three days from now, go see that one too. That one has George Clooney in it.

Then think about all the establishment types talking about a "summer of rage". Here's a fact to ponder. Why has our government bought 350,000 survival kits that will allow ranking federal employees to walk home if they can make it in three days. They have provided these to high level banking employees also. Then think about Obama's youth corps and the billions of rounds of 40 cal S&W pistol ammo bought for them. Can you say brown shirts?
Okay clearly you have whatever personality quirk makes someone embrace conspiracy theories.

First off don't base your worldview on a movie adaption of a book. I've never seen "The Big Short" (and I certainly won't watch it three times) but it is my understanding it has some truths and some serious flaws in the portrayal of the financial crisis. It is just a movie, not a historical document to be held up as something everyone should read to understand the truth.

The survival kit thing first started making the rounds of the infowars type sites over a year ago, and it seems like every time I see that survival kit thing the number has grown. Somehow from a Treasury Department purchase order we are now manufacturing plans/motivations about ranking fed employees walking home.

The Obama Youth Corps brownshirts thing has been an email forwarded around since he was elected, it is thoroughly debunked here. It goes hand in hand with FEMA internment camp style tripe, I can't believe people still believe and spread that stuff around.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
I'd like to comment but I was nearly banned on another forum, for stating a true factoid, every knows about it, and which was deemed political and trolling.

I got a story on FEMA, but some won't like it.
I got a story on 2008-09 job search. Personally I think we as a Nation, were very lucky we came through the Great Recession intact.
YPoliticsMMV

Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
Quote:

lol...too funny. How do people who buy this stuff make it through a day?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Yes, it is the most hated Bull Market in history. Becuase it is not a Bull Market, it is a Bear Market...
And Up is really Down, Red is really Green, and Fermat's Last Theorem was never proven.

Got it.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I for one appreciate the government's efforts to maintain a strong stock market, mainly because 401ks and other "mundane" investments are the primary way most Americans save for retirement.
Actually, the government didn't try to maintain a strong stock market; it tried to save the economy. (During the panic, the SEC did put in place a temporary ban on short selling about 700 or so bank stocks. I think the ban lasted about 30 or 45 days and was not renewed. It didn't help; Lehman Brothers of course went belly-up.)

The stock market is a reflection of the health of the economy and its long term prospects (the discounted earnings model of stock prices). The bull market we've seen is a necessary result of saving the economy.

Paulson and Geithner deserve Nobel Peace Prizes for staving off what would have been the worst Depression since the Dark Ages, replete with tent cities and mass starvation. Heck, during the crisis, even the venerable General Electric could find no takers for its commercial paper.

What the naysayers don't fully comprehend is there is a fundamental difference between banks and other sectors of the economy such as manufacturing, technology, services, agriculture, mining, shipping, etc.

When a non-bank company is under financial stress, it has months or even years to work out its problems (or go belly up).

In contrast, when a bank is under financial stress on Tuesday, it can go belly up by Friday, because counterparties in short term and overnight instruments are rational and won't take the risk.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Remember that it is fictional account of one story line in the great recession, produced to make a profit.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:33 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,222,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Paulson and Geithner deserve Nobel Peace Prizes for staving off what would have been the worst Depression since the Dark Ages, replete with tent cities and mass starvation
Paulson and Geithner are Crooks, Thieves and Criminals, you are glorifying the criminals. You want to give Paulson and Geithner Nobel Peace Prizes? Both of them belong in prison.

Deflation and Depression hasn't been avoided, just postponed by trickery, gimmicks and massive theft of public money. Why interest rates haven't normalized yet if we are in some real recovery? It is a joke people are still talking about a recovery over 6 years after the last downturn. The real concern now is how to prevent the economic down cycle from being too harsh given the absurd actions of central banks who inflated throughout the whole cycle to artificially stimulate their economies by addicting people and companies to even more debt. A downturn will find that many of them can't pay and any sizable rise in interest rates and/or inflation towards normalcy will bankrupt many.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Paulson and Geithner are Crooks, Thieves and Criminals
Nope. Saying it over and over again does not make it true.

Quote:
you are glorifying the criminals.

Quote:
Both of them belong in prison.
Nope. They are national heroes. The uninformed don't know their names, of course.

Quote:
Deflation and Depression hasn't been avoided, just postponed by trickery, gimmicks and massive theft of public money.

Quote:
The real concern now is how to prevent the economic down cycle from being too harsh given the absurd actions of central banks who inflated throughout the whole cycle to artificially stimulate their economies by addicting people and companies to even more debt. A downturn will find that many of them can't pay and any sizable rise in interest rates and/or inflation towards normalcy will bankrupt many.
I have a suggestion for you. Try communicating with just nouns and verbs. Leave out all the adjectives and adverbs that really are just your political views.

Maybe people would take your points seriously. Maybe.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
I would say a lot of people are suspicious of this market as compared to the late 90s when everyone loved the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics