Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:13 AM

106,244 posts, read 108,257,613 times

Advertisements

i am going to die too some day . but that does not mean i don't wake up every day and live life the fullest and best i can .

what i don't do is watch the clock ticking waiting for the other shoe to drop like i see here .

is this what you really want to devote so much time to ? complaining

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-22-2016 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 05:08 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,172,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
All empires in history fade away.

To think that the US is somehow "exceptional" in that regard, is well...
I don't think anyone is disputing that possibility just that one hopes not to have wasted a lifetime by crawling into the bunker prematurely. Your own words are "fade away".

Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 7,190,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
You know, I've always wanted to visit Russia and Europe. Thanks for reminding me

The US is the Roman Empire of today...
Rome didn't fall in a day. It slowly disintegrated over 150 year period. The shocks it experienced were mostly internal... in fact the conversion to Christianity was probably the single biggest shock it experienced, and even that took a good 90 years to bake in existential problems.

If we are in a period of decline for the U.S., we would have trouble perceiving it from the inside. 100 years from now people might say "oh, yeah, the 2010s, that was when the U.S. started its decline" but we can't really see that now.

If we are in a terminal decline right now... well... in the scope of history, the U.S.'s run was pretty short. Not even as long as Britain's.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yes I'm storing canned goods in my bunker so I can be prepared for the steady 900 year decline coming around the corner.
Gun, bullets, food, and water for me.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Rome didn't fall in a day. It slowly disintegrated over 150 year period. The shocks it experienced were mostly internal... in fact the conversion to Christianity was probably the single biggest shock it experienced, and even that took a good 90 years to bake in existential problems.

If we are in a period of decline for the U.S., we would have trouble perceiving it from the inside. 100 years from now people might say "oh, yeah, the 2010s, that was when the U.S. started its decline" but we can't really see that now.

If we are in a terminal decline right now... well... in the scope of history, the U.S.'s run was pretty short. Not even as long as Britain's.
We are all in decline together. You, me, and Bobby McGee.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times
I will very likely not be alive in 30 years so all of this speculation is very amusing.

The worst fear facing the oil investors is a stable market with a slow steady or zero growth. Without wild fluctuations the speculators cannot pay their bankers or their politicians and that would really be a disaster for a few but a boon for the consumer.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the folks that have lost their investment in the "Fracking" boom. If they knew what they were doing they made a mistake. In they did not know what was happening and believed the sales hype they now know not to make the same mistake again. If they did not learn that too bad.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
Most people think the collapse is going to be some sort of civil disorder where lawlessness reigns. I think we're going to keep muddling along in our ho-hum fashion, with many areas becoming less competitive each year.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,392,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
The big one. Whoa momma.

Can this really be the end? To be stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:25 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most people think the collapse is going to be some sort of civil disorder where lawlessness reigns. I think we're going to keep muddling along in our ho-hum fashion, with many areas becoming less competitive each year.
Don't forget about the areas that are booming.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:18 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,377,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Why hasn't the collapse happened yet when it's been predicted for so long?

For those thinking imminent collapse, what conditions exist now that didn't exist with previous collapse predictions?
The economy is in an unstable situation, the FED has been stabilizing it, a sufficiently sever shock hasn't happened to set off the crash. The underlying destabilizing condition is in part debt to income, wage growth not keeping up with gains in worker productivity also plays a role, and ineffectual regulation of the banking industry is big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics