Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Is it unreasonable for future lending to be based on fields of study that will give the most bang for the buck? For example, cap loan amounts for art history majors while providing more grant money to engineering or medical studies? Obviously as our need will change and so can the distribution of federal funds. This does fly in the face of the idea that college is for everyone and it doesn't matter what you study, but maybe it isn't and it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Is it unreasonable for future lending to be based on fields of study that will give the most bang for the buck? For example, cap loan amounts for art history majors while providing more grant money to engineering or medical studies? Obviously as our need will change and so can the distribution of federal funds. This does fly in the face of the idea that college is for everyone and it doesn't matter what you study, but maybe it isn't and it should.
May not be a bad idea but one would have to have enormous predictive powers to know what fields are going to work out in the long run.

My suggestion would be to reduce the cap in stages per year to $15,000, then $10,000. The schools would have trouble validating their tuition rates without government support in the form of monopoly-money loans.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:43 PM

493 posts, read 442,922 times
Those who stupid enough to take it in the first place, should pay for it. Sorry, no free lunch. Especially to the Liberal Arts' ones.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post
Those who stupid enough to take it in the first place, should pay for it. Sorry, no free lunch. Especially to the Liberal Arts' ones.
How do you get blood from a stone?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post
You do realize that many liberal arts degrees are in high demand right now, right? Math, Physics, Biology, computer science, and psychology, just to name a few...

There's nothing wrong with taking student loans if you need it to make up some of the cost of attending college... but you can't go crazy with them.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You do realize that many liberal arts degrees are in high demand right now, right? Math, Physics, Biology, computer science, and psychology, just to name a few...

There's nothing wrong with taking student loans if you need it to make up some of the cost of attending college... but you can't go crazy with them.
The problem that I see is that student loans often have no winners except the colleges. What they allow is the college to set tuition levels higher than otherwise. Let me explain.

When one is accepted to a typical college and can't self-fund the tuition the student receives a four-part financial package:
  1. Family contribution;
  2. School scholarship;
  3. Work-study; and
  4. What's expected from a loan
When one goes up the others go down. The family contribution is usually calculated on a formula based on the family's assets and income so that won't change much. As far as work-study the amount of hours a student can work on-campus and still handle the curriculum doesn't change much. So the floating factors are the school's contribution and the loan.

So if the student can borow more that comes off what the school tosses in. The school's contribution comes from moneys that are paid by affluent students. So that has its limits.

Schools have tended to get rather fat administratively and in building plant over the years. That seriously needs to change. Families of wealthier students are not printing presses. This is what I meant above with part of my earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My suggestion would be to reduce the cap in stages per year to $15,000, then $10,000. The schools would have trouble validating their tuition rates without government support in the form of monopoly-money loans.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 AM

10,356 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Some of the amounts are Sisyphean. I have a potential client with about $275,000 in student loans who has no assets and an income of maybe $40,000 per year. And she lives in the Chicago area.

There is no way that loan gets repaid unless the borrower wins Powerball.
To me this is a good argument for making student loans dischargable in bankruptcy again. They shouldn't be EASILY dischargable, but when the debt is clearly hopeless what's the point of pretending it will ever be repaid? And putting some risk back onto the lenders would give them an incentive to be more cautious about making these loans.

And if student loans become harder to get as a result of this change, the administrative bloat and "student lifestyle enhancements" that have become so rampant on many campuses and which are causing overall costs to skyrocket won't be sustainable.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:42 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
I haven't the time to read this whole thing, so I will just say this (even if redundant)...

As to the loans being used for other things, I am not concerned. Just so long as they get paid back. And speaking of that, I think the federal loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy and I'd like to see the non federal loans like that as well. No disrespect to the kids, but with other choices not taken available to them, they have a lifetime to pay them off and it's a good lesson to learn.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:45 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
To me this is a good argument for making student loans dischargable in bankruptcy again. They shouldn't be EASILY dischargable, but when the debt is clearly hopeless what's the point of pretending it will ever be repaid? And putting some risk back onto the lenders would give them an incentive to be more cautious about making these loans.

And if student loans become harder to get as a result of this change, the administrative bloat and "student lifestyle enhancements" that have become so rampant on many campuses and which are causing overall costs to skyrocket won't be sustainable.
Here is why I will disagree with you.

Students have options. Like me, they can go to a juco for 2 years and work to help pay for university classes. I went to juco for 2 years and then worked my way through with minimal loans. I paid back those loans. Granted I didn't finish college until I was 30, but such is life.

To simply say, get loans and then if life isn't rosy declare bankruptcy seems both foolish and teaches the wrong life lesson. I'd rather teach responsibility and accountability than otherwise.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

Here's the problem with those "lifestyle enhancements", schools without them (dorm rooms instead of suites, shower rooms instead of individual suite bathrooms, no upgraded lounges) are losing population. Also, not requiring Freshmen, at least, to live on campus has played into that. Private housing is almost always more expensive than college dorms.

I don't want to start a generational war here but some of this may be tied into unrealistic expectations of what one "deserves to have" at age 18. Which can also be placed back onto the parents.

My college (admittedly I've been out 40 years) is now back to requiring 1st and 2nd year students to live on campus and banning cars for Freshmen. Which was the standard when I went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics