Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:54 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,079,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Mr mathjak you got lucky

About draining of course be our guest

We're not gonna contribute a thing for Boomers.
Actually everything you contribute goes to the previous generation. You will be dependent on the younger generation for your social security.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:59 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,533,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Actually everything you contribute goes to the previous generation. You will be dependent on the younger generation for your social security.
Then we are doomed.

I think it will be in every generation's interest to dismantle SS.

Everyone should be on their own

Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM

105,919 posts, read 107,880,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Once you get a job you will.
You can't get a job when you spend your time here complaining about how you have no job

Old 05-24-2016, 03:04 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,079,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sitting around in a lounge chair watching TV all day may shorten one's lifespan, but remember there's a lot of work out there that needs doing and which pays little or nothing. And retirees (especially the younger ones), not being tied to a rigid 9-5 work schedule, are often in a perfect situation to help out witt that. Someone who's no longer earning any wages but who is donating produce from their backyard garden to the food bank, helping out at the animal shelter, and volunteering their time to organizations like the local homeless shelter, Habitat for Humanity, or Meals on Wheels may be officially retired, but it sure seems like they are working to me!

I don't sit around watching TV.

I spent 2 years as a draftee and one of those years was in Vietnam. My career in healthcare was spent working to help the healthcare needs of others. My wife spent her career in teaching. I have paid a ton of taxes and social security and medicare taxes. At this point I have done my share. I am certainly not interested in do gooder projects. I have other goals for my life.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:19 PM

10,312 posts, read 7,899,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am certainly not interested in do gooder projects. I have other goals for my life.
I'm not saying you're obligated to participate in such projects, just pointing out to the poster that I was replying to that retirees are often the backbone that many volunteer organizations rely on. Those retirees who DO help out in such ways are most assuredly working even though they're not actually getting paid. They are in no danger of dying from boredom merely because they aren't receiving a wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics