Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:52 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times

Advertisements

In areas where servers make over $12/hr I no longer tip unless it's a $35+ plate restaurant.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:06 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
In areas where servers make over $12/hr I no longer tip unless it's a $35+ plate restaurant.
Why? What does the cost of the meal have to do with it?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:15 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
I will continue to tip as I always have. The last thing I'm worried about is overpaying a hard-working server. They earn those tips!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:29 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Tipping should be done away with completely and servers should be paid standard wages. I was just in Europe where there is a VAT and regular wages built into restaurant prices, and the prices were only a matter of cents more than what we pay here.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:31 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Yes, 20% will be more when they raise their prices to pay the higher salary.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:27 PM

128 posts, read 102,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've said it many times before, the American tipping system is RIDICULOUS! There is no sense whatsoever to who gets tips (server, massage therapist, taxi driver, valet guy) and who doesn't (phlebotomist, bus driver, mailman, grocery store clerk).

Studies have shown that the amount of tips are given on completely unfair (and ILLEGAL) standards such as race and beauty, not on quality of service.

There are many, many jobs where people don't earn much money. Should we just hand every single one we encounter throughout the day a few bucks?

Now don't start flaming me for being cheap. I do tip when expected, and I tip well, as high as 50% for excellent service (that's rare. Generally 20-25%) I swear to god I would rather pay twice as much for a meal than have our country continue with its tipping customs. It feels like arbitrary charity to me: "I make more money than you, and you are in a job that someone deemed is worthy of tips, so I get to sprinkle you with an extra 20 bucks to help you pay your bills."

People like me, who do tip well, are keeping menu prices low for the cheapskates who barely tip or don't tip at all. Can you fathom it working that way at the grocery store?? Some people toss in an extra 50 bucks on their $200 of groceries, because the store's workers make less than minimum wage? But it's optional, so some shoppers don't tip at all, and they love that the tippers help keep prices low!! Stupid stupid stupid.

Either EVERY person who makes less money than I make should be getting tips from me as I go through my day, or EVERY person should be paid by his/her EMPLOYER whatever the market deems reasonable.
Hmmm, restaurant owners ripping of staff and passing the buck to the customers to pay their salary. That the restaurant made enough that night to blows $10,000 that night is "totally irrelevant". That reminds of of ..that... b....bailout thing.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I will continue to tip as I always have. The last thing I'm worried about is overpaying a hard-working server. They earn those tips!
But please help me understand why certain low-paid employees are deserving of tips while others are not. And it's not just because servers make less than minimum wage, because with tips, they end up making more than most other low-paid workers. What about those who truly make merely minimum wage? Why shouldn't people who care about these hard-working, low-paid employees, be tipping every single one we encounter throughout the day?

Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
Anyone have thoughts on if tipping practices (15-20% for the sake of this conversation) should change based on min wage increases. In many west coast cities (SD, Seattle, SF, etc) the min wage is increasing to 15 dollars per hour by 2020. At that point, a full time server would earn 30K before any tips are accounted for.

Are you planning on adjusting your tipping percentage as min wage goes up?
That depends on whether or not it goes up here (Georgia).

Right now, minimum sage for tipped employees is $2.13/hour in Georgia. I tend to tip well for service rendered because even someone making 2-3 times that is making crap wages.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:24 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
no they are still legally required to make the federal minimum wage, if they aren't tipped enough, the owners have to fill the gap

All those tip workers who quote $3/hr is doing so to mislead the public or they don't understand their own pay stubs.

if you don't want to tip, the owners will still pay them $7.25/8.25 or whatever it is set to where they operate. that's why the tipping culture is pushed, if the owners get someone else to pay their workers, they don't have to. If people stopped tipping, they would have to pay the normal minimum wage.

so don't feel bad about not leaving a tip, they still get the minimum wage like all the other minimum wage workers. If you happen to like the service, tip, but realize that when you do, the bosses just count that as part of their paycheck
Well said!!

Tipping is a gratuity. NOT a demand.

Studies show that servers are not providing BETTER or even Higher levels of service based on tipping.

This social shaming of tipping without understanding that its a Choice, not a demand.

The boss that shows up in his BMW or jaquar is not at all against tipping...I'm sure. Subsidizing ...hmmmph.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:28 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Why? What does the cost of the meal have to do with it?

Tables turn over slower and I have found they have fewer tables per server. As a result, the quality of service goes up and I want to be fair and respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics