Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

The men's houses were more expensive. That extra appreciation could be offset by higher holding/ownership costs such as taxes, insurance, maintenance, and interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:29 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
Men are just better investors as a whole. From Wall Street to rural auctions, all dominated by men.

I'm no real estate agent but have bought and sold four homes so far. Women go through a home with a laser focus on everything chrome clad. Nice kitchen, nice counters, clean tub, facet handles, floors, light fixtures, outside plants, porch swing, etc. Pretty much everything that doesn't cost all that much to replace. Men bee line it to the basement, to the attack, looking at foundations, piping, wiring, roofing, water marks, support beams, insect damage, septic area, etc. Pretty much everything that would substantially curve a home price.

Getting a deal isn't about negotiating down in price but paying a good price. There is a difference.

House 1 might be worth 500,000 realistically and put on the market for 560,000.

House 2 might be worth 500,000 realistically and put on the market for 510,000.

House 1 sells for 510,000.

House 2 sells for 490,000.

House buyer 1 negotiated down 50,000! but really didn't get a deal.

House buyer 2 only negotiated down 20,000 but got the better deal.

Like when a woman says she bought something on sale. No...you didn't buy it on sale, you paid fair market value. It was just marked down from its inflated mark up!

Men see the worth, women see the savings.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:46 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Men are just better investors as a whole. From Wall Street to rural auctions, all dominated by men.

I'm no real estate agent but have bought and sold four homes so far. Women go through a home with a laser focus on everything chrome clad. Nice kitchen, nice counters, clean tub, facet handles, floors, light fixtures, outside plants, porch swing, etc. Pretty much everything that doesn't cost all that much to replace. Men bee line it to the basement, to the attack, looking at foundations, piping, wiring, roofing, water marks, support beams, insect damage, septic area, etc. Pretty much everything that would substantially curve a home price.

Getting a deal isn't about negotiating down in price but paying a good price. There is a difference.

House 1 might be worth 500,000 realistically and put on the market for 560,000.

House 2 might be worth 500,000 realistically and put on the market for 510,000.

House 1 sells for 510,000.

House 2 sells for 490,000.

House buyer 1 negotiated down 50,000! but really didn't get a deal.

House buyer 2 only negotiated down 20,000 but got the better deal.

Like when a woman says she bought something on sale. No...you didn't buy it on sale, you paid fair market value. It was just marked down from its inflated mark up!

From Wall Street generalizing women tend to be better investors than men.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:01 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,047 times
Hmmm. I believe it's because men are more likely to save their cash while women are likely to spend it. That's the reason for the gap. Men are savers for the future and women are spenders for the now.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Hmmm. I believe it's because men are more likely to save their cash while women are likely to spend it. That's the reason for the gap. Men are savers for the future and women are spenders for the now.
Nice generalization. I'm much more frugal than my husband, which is why I manage our household income.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nice generalization. I'm much more frugal than my husband, which is why I manage our household income.
I was basing my comment on single people households. It's a different story with married households obviously.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't know how you do it! Between ovulation and menstruation, I really don't have time to worry about "man" things like a budget or negotiating.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I don't know how you do it! Between ovulation and menstruation, I really don't have time to worry about "man" things like a budget or negotiating.
And buying a new living room suite every other year, too, I'm sure.

Men save their cash for the future, yeah, right! The new sports car and motorcycle and ski gear and expensive mountain bike and Lord knows whatever else is cluttering up my single male neighbor's garage is "saving for the future" in the previous poster's fantasy only.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here are some big male egos, trying to say men are superior to women shoppers, and home buyers. Boy are they wrong. Ask any old time salesman working with the public, and you will get the truth. I am male, and was in sales working with the public my entire life up to retiring. I spent from 1972 till I retired, in investment real estate brokerage. I and a lot of other long time salesmen/saleswomen will tell you, that women are the hard ones to sell anything to. If a couple comes to you to show them any product from a simple chair, to a large fancy home, you pitched the product to the woman, as she is way harder to sell to than the man and will be the ultimate decision maker. Men are the easy sale, it is women that actually control the purse strings in a couples relationship.

I spent all my life working with the public in Sales. Looking at the posts by some men that seem to think that men are better shoppers, negotiators, investors, speaking how much smarter shoppers men are, how they look at details, etc. more than men, are making jokes. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
This home has a septic. You'll never have to pay another sewer bill in your life!

"Wonderful! Why don't all homes have septics?"

Ah...well, it's kind of new technology

----> typical woman buyer

me <----going to hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics