Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Saying much of the same things. ....

.... Islam and Hinduism are much friendlier to capitalism and wealth - they have none of that "the poor shall inherit the earth" stuff. ....
I find it a bit strange that neither promote edu, especially for women. Many Christians have given their lives to provide educational opportunites and social reform for hindu and muslim women. ( outside the context of converting them to Christanity... I.e. Just risking their lives and familes in strange lands to run underground schools, and create sustainable business for the women ( who actually do the work and hold families together)

The US Gov could start taking care of their own, and quit being insistant on creating democracies in countries who have no interest, and cannot fathom the thought.

How about a sustainable energy policy...? Very ez, very good for business economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
I know, I drive on pothole-ridden roads every day. Why we can't do something about that is beyond me.
A lot of the issues have to do with local government pensions. The costs of pensions have gone through the roof, and services have suffered as a result. As a public sector worker myself, I must admit the costs are just insane. On top of my salary, my employer paid an additional 2/3 toward the pension. It's a similar story in most local and state governments.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Sure not all popes have walked the walk, but this Pope is from the Franciscan order - that order of priests actually does walk the walk and usually always did. Typically the popes came from the Church's intelligentsia; moved their way up the ranks through their academic work. This one came from the Franciscans which are like the social workers of the church. That's why he's a big deal.
It's amazing the stuff people say as fact that is just flat out wrong. The pope is from the Jesuit order, and the Jesuits are typically the intelligentsia of the church.

To Understand Pope Francis, You Need To Know About The Jesuits

They've also been kicked out of a lot of countries over the centuries--and I suspect with good reason. They are wolves in sheep's clothing, IMO--and that includes the pope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9uGSUfNDAg

Old 06-22-2016, 01:53 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Should the US government expand its role in Job creation by taking an active role in job creation, training, and setting wages to a level that allows one to live with dignity by making a wage capable of sustaining themselves and their family?
No, this creates corruption where high paying government jobs is handed to people with a lot of connections. This has happened everywhere, without exceptions.

That doesn't mean the government should do nothing of course. This is what I suggest
1. Work with companies to set up internships for young people
2. Break up monopolies. (they are the ones hoarding money)
3. Hire people at low wages to do simple jobs. This will create a safety net, reduce crime, and improve public areas.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:24 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Jeremy Rifkin's book titled, The End of Work was published in 1994, the problem of human employment displacement was obviously on the horizon at that time, and workers everywhere could see the handwriting on the wall with regard to their own particular job. Machine technology, is, in fact, a normal evolutionary piece of the modern day economic reality. The problem isn't that technology is replacing the human, but--it is definitely a problem when people refuse to acknowledge the facts of this changing labor scenario and fail to engage the displaced worker into a new socio/economic situation.

Technology has now surpassed the old standard of human labor replacement and has moved on to the new frontier of AI, nano technology, and the creation of new products and services that never utilized human labor. Rifkin spoke of the "post industrial society" one that, in his view, was full of opportunity and the possibility of our final approach to a near fully mechanized labor force allowing for human well being to be based on something other than the old outdated wage paradigm. We wow over the huge changes that technology has rendered, but, we have yet to celebrate the real benefit, a meaningful life, without work..

Government's role in this transformation shouldn't be one that encourages a return to an earlier (job creation) labor construct--but moreover it should be a partner in the aiding the changes to take place while ameliorating the worst of the social consequences. Posters here seem to have a lot to say about the declining morals of those they suspect are guilty of malingering or plain laziness, but the modern mind sees the consequences of technology as a thing that has produced a fundamentally changed America and knows that the solution has little to do with this kind of moralizing. The work ethic in America is still an integral part of the social fabric and people must find a new metric of self worth beyond that of working.

Things have changed---the challenge will be whether we are up to the task of finding an equal amount of innovation in our social norms as we have seen in our business applications.
A big part of the End of Work was a recommended movement to a reduced work week and an increase in recreation and leisure industries. However, human nature and most countries' economic structure does not support this as being viable anywhere in the near term. The owners of capital and industry do not work in concert and will not willingly agree to social and economic policy that benefits those displaced by the changes in the nature of work due to technology at the expense of their own company's profitability.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
A big part of the End of Work was a recommended movement to a reduced work week and an increase in recreation and leisure industries. However, human nature and most countries' economic structure does not support this as being viable anywhere in the near term. The owners of capital and industry do not work in concert and will not willingly agree to social and economic policy that benefits those displaced by the changes in the nature of work due to technology at the expense of their own company's profitability.
and individuals aren't doing their own part in saving/investing for an early retirement... can't blame everything on some one/thing (corporations).

Millionaire Calculator: How can I save a million dollars? gives a basic idea how much is needed to hit $1 million per time frame, about $2700/month for 25 years at a low rate of return

Old 06-22-2016, 02:02 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
A big part of the End of Work was a recommended movement to a reduced work week and an increase in recreation and leisure industries. However, human nature and most countries' economic structure does not support this as being viable anywhere in the near term.
It's a part of the national attitude in many countries, and has been for decades.

Check out those German slackers!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's amazing the stuff people say as fact that is just flat out wrong. The pope is from the Jesuit order, and the Jesuits are typically the intelligentsia of the church.

To Understand Pope Francis, You Need To Know About The Jesuits

They've also been kicked out of a lot of countries over the centuries--and I suspect with good reason. They are wolves in sheep's clothing, IMO--and that includes the pope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9uGSUfNDAg
My bad, I mixed up Franciscans and Jesuits.

Still, I think the Pope is an okay guy & I like his message.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
and individuals aren't doing their own part in saving/investing for an early retirement... can't blame everything on some one/thing (corporations).

Millionaire Calculator: How can I save a million dollars? gives a basic idea how much is needed to hit $1 million per time frame, about $2700/month for 25 years at a low rate of return
No problem. I just need to make $216,000 per year if I'm saving 15% of my income.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
I think government should decide who can have jobs.

So this would bring a very stable employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics