Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Basic Income
yay 33 39.76%
nay 50 60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:00 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
My car knows when it has a flat, and it's not even a luxury car or a futuristic car. It has low air pressure sensors built in. You're telling me they can build a car that can drive itself, but they don't have the capability of creating a tire that can fix itself? Uh....

I wonder what the average age/education level is on this forum. People seem to be pretty oblivious. "Back in my day, sonny..."
I would hope you don't think my posts are about flat tires (they aren't) My posts are about the ability to see opportunity where other's cannot. You seem angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:28 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I would hope you don't think my posts are about flat tires (they aren't) My posts are about the ability to see opportunity where other's cannot. You seem angry.
Angry? Not even close. I'm just impatient with willful ignorance.

Who knows what opportunity will exist. I'm not saying there won't be any. However, unfortunately for me, I have no choice but to think and care about this and how it will impact my own future wellbeing. I just get tired of the soon-to-be-6ft-under geriatric crowd who embrace the "it's no muh problem, I got mine" mentality. Their backwards, selfish views still impact public policy, which in turn affects the rest of us today and in the future.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:33 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
I feel you will be fine, I do know what you are facing, and would encourage you not to lose hope. Trust me, I have known hard times, life is always a challenge. I have a 20 year old son and we talk all the time about where the future opportunities will lie.

Sincerely, good luck (but remember, luck favors the prepared), Rg

Old 06-15-2016, 03:43 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I feel you will be fine, I do know what you are facing, and would encourage you not to lose hope. Trust me, I have known hard times, life is always a challenge. I have a 20 year old son and we talk all the time about where the future opportunities will lie.

Sincerely, good luck (but remember, luck favors the prepared), Rg
Thank you for understanding. I hope that you will take these things into consideration, if not for anyone else, for your son's sake when it is time to think and vote on such issues. The future state of the economy is his burden just as much as it is mine.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:12 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, the reason for the basic income talk these days is because too many people want to earn a great wage, but don't want to work at all for it. They want to have free time, a stress free work environment, and 9-5 hours. But they want the wage that enables them to live the life they feel entitled to.
What is wrong with wanting all of that? Why would anyone not want money given so they can have enough to live on and can choose when and where they want to work or if they want more free time to spend with friends or family or do what they want? This would create great freedom for people and make a great society to live in. People are given money who do not work for it all the time. Kids of rich parents get money for free, CEO's of companies get millions of dollars in bonuses even though they do not earn it, people get money by someone giving them money as gift seems you only have it problem with it when it is the "poor" whom you seem to despise get it. To many people are stuck in a Puritan society thinking where you have to work hard for whatever you get but the world does not always work like that.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:31 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
To put it simply, if I contributed $1,000,000 of money to a partnership and the other person contributes $50,000 of salaried work, by your definition I'm just extracting value because my portion of the income is unearned.
"Extractors" are those who provide little or no added value to the end-state product or service. Capital is a necessary aspect of business. The problem only arises when the "game" becomes rigged to result in excessive capital gains and declining or flat wages. This is the problem we've had for ~40 years, and in the future as automation becomes more advanced, it will get a lot worse.

Employees must make money for their employers. But are they increasing the prosperity of the society as a whole? Or are they merely extracting money from society and putting it in their own account? Lately the big gains are in the later.

A glaring example is financiers who extract huge amounts while actually doing harm rather than good. The fact that finance has an important place in business is beside the point. It has grown way beyond its useful function and has become a giant leach. One that doesn't even take risks apparently, since massive failures are bailed out by the government.

Closer to home, regarding the CPA example you mentioned. Why do companies need high accounting budgets, and would aggregate prosperity be higher if less accounting was needed?

Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
This thread is inundated with too many people who don't understand the idea behind basic income and the reasons why it may be needed. Artificial intelligence is only getting better. Self-driving vehicles and automated systems are only becoming more prominent.

The idea behind basic income is that there will simply not be enough jobs to be had, because AI and automation will have eliminated the need for most, if not all, human capital. How are you going to get a job when there aren't any jobs? Think, people. Think!
150 years ago ~90% of American workers worked in agriculture. Today it's about 2%. People will find something useful for human labor, like we did when agriculture stopped being the major employer and like we have done as manufacturing has and continues to shrunk. If this technological revolution doesn't play out like the last 2 we can deal with it when it becomes necessary.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 PM
SQL

A robot parking cars:

http://i.imgur.com/cg2PeNT.gifv

Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 PM
SQL

A robot stacking boxes:

Old 06-15-2016, 08:40 PM
SQL

Robots taking walks outside on slippery terrain:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics