Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I highly doubt that UK politicians will just crap on the voters after they've had their say. Lots of consequential elections are decided by a close vote. They will leave. I suspect the parliament will drag out the official exit as long as possible but they will do it. I'm sure the the UK's leaders value its ancient constitution, traditions, & more than it values an economic union

I think it'll hurt England in the short to medium term, especially if Scotland and Northern Ireland decide to leave the UK. But over time they will adjust. I also don't think it's a fatal blow to the EU. England has always been aloof from Europe.

France, Italy, and West Germany were the original core of the European Economic Community that later became the EU. The UK was part of phase II. As long as those 3 core members remain, I think there will be an EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:22 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We're out, and all the politicians trying to become the new PM confirm it. You think they want to try and have a second vote, and cope with the rioting in the streets? In the home of democracy?

I don't think so.
There's a lot funny with this.

1. If a new vote was held, it wouldn't need to be a revote. It could be a vote to express interest in joining the EU.
- Rioters would be the sorry losers not expressing their voice democratically. I do hope some good German police are loaned to quell the riot.

2. Honestly, do the English know how to riot? Really...in the home of keep calm and carry on?

3. The birthplace of democracy is Greece. I think you may have bumped your head bowing to the Queen the last time she rode past. By the way, it's 2016 and you still have a Queen.

Yeah...riots...right after tea.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
52%/48% to commit economic suicide and have Scotland and Northern Ireland bail out of the UK isn't exactly a landslide. ****The UK won't look so great after Scotland and Northern Ireland bail out and all those London finance jobs move to Frankfurt because some European directive tells them to.
The US and UK stock markets have already recovered all or most of their Brexit losses. Britain is far stronger relative to Europe now than in 1973. The UK will not commit suicide by continuing to attach itself to a dying shell. The onrush of Arab immigrants is the final nail in the coffin.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:56 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

2. Honestly, do the English know how to riot? Really...in the home of keep calm and carry on?

Yeah...riots...right after tea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_Tax_Riots

Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFS6S06w8c

Old 07-02-2016, 12:29 AM

Now, what do you notice about those riots over a tax the government were trying to impose? That's right - they were white people. Those riots contributed to ending the career of America's favourite foreign politician at the time, Margaret Thatcher.

I'll say it again...... there will be no second vote, and we will leave the EU. Teresa May, who will probably become Prime Minister, had the scare of her life with the 2011 riots, and will not have forgotten it.

During the video, the words, "anything that suggests wealth is fair game" are heard, while showing a fancy car burnt out. Those riots were nothing compared to what would happen if our government tried to thwart the democratic will of the people. We voted, and we voted out, and in England, by a large majority. That's that.

Last edited by English Dave; 07-02-2016 at 01:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

I think you may have bumped your head bowing to the Queen the last time she rode past. By the way, it's 2016 and you still have a Queen.
Well, at least she's real royalty. Who's your Queen? Kim Kardashian?........

Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Well, at least she's real royalty. Who's your Queen? Kim Kardashian?........
I suppose that makes Kanye King....He did say he was running for President....it's all starting to make sense.

I suppose if I cared, we'd have the same Queen. It's pretty easy to tie me through two sets of matron names to the House of Stafford. Though I'm quite certain my stiff knees still would have issues.

If England cowers to internal strife and avoidance of mobs, then there's nothing left to her anyway. It's just very disappointing that, in the face of tough situation, the UK is not leading the fight, but rather leading the retreat from the EU. The world's teacher of diplomacy has chosen to hide on her island and raise the drawbridge, cowering from a few unarmed Syrians.

If the immigration is such an issue, I'd hope England would do what needs to be done to care for the unwelcome immigrants, and use the legal system to sue Germany for reparations later.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:37 AM

283 posts, read 259,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Seventy percent of Scotland's trade is with England and within the UK.

Dance with who brung ya.
Also 60-70% of Scotland's GDP is government spending... mostly funded by the rest of the UK.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
Also 60-70% of Scotland's GDP is government spending... mostly funded by the rest of the UK.
Correct....... The Scots are very patriotic, and this sometimes blinds them. Once they calm down, and 'lil Nicola stops stamping her little foot, hopefully, wiser voices will get a hearing. If not....... see ya, and good luck......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics