Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I also find it to be hilarious that the prepper-crowd focuses on the US for their doomsday fantasy... a country with low population density, with lots of small private farms, a plethora of guns, a network of highways connecting lots of small towns, plenty of mountains and forest-ranges and coastline and places for "personal retreat". Would it not be the case, that a far more grievously vulnerable place would be Europe, or Japan, or Israel, or even China? No, instead the doomsday focus is on the US (or maybe Australia). Why is that? Is that because of inherent vulnerability of the land or the people? No, it's the culture.
I saw Patrick Swayze in Red Dawn. Wolverines!

I disagree. The disaster will be in the United States because that's where the preppers live. What's the point in preparing for the zombie apocalypse if Europe gets invaded and not the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 07:21 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
they can't succeed so they want everyone else to fail?
Come now! Admit it! Misery loves company! It's called being human!

You lose your well-paying job, your co-worker keeps her job, and what do you say to her?

"I'm so, so happy for you that you kept your job and I lost mine!"

One entertainment for me when the economy collapses is watching the city, county and state scrambling to balance their budgets, and some government workers losing their jobs, and seeing my property taxes falling!

In the last Great Recession here in Las Vegas, my property taxes fell as low as $320 a year, as the appraisal on my townhouse fell from $175k to $40k! Now, back up again!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:44 AM

25 posts, read 17,182 times
hey folks, has anyone seen the movie Colapse made by Michael Ruppert? has anyone heard about the oil world picking??

Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Come now! Admit it! Misery loves company! It's called being human!
but success is a party and people love that more, sorry more people can't afford the party ticket though. maybe if they wait their turn?

Old 07-05-2016, 05:04 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,591,848 times
Petrol is going to have it's final party pretty quick. It will be worth something for a long time. Coal has been worth something for a long time, but the winds of change are eroding it.

Natural gas is a current substitute, wind and solar are up and coming substitutes, cars are getting more efficient all the time....but the game changing killer is coming out of Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks.

They believe they will have commercially viable fusion in 5 years.

Lockheed Developing Truck-Sized Nuclear Fusion Reactor - Bloomberg

Old 07-07-2016, 05:08 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I saw Patrick Swayze in Red Dawn. Wolverines!

I disagree. The disaster will be in the United States because that's where the preppers live. What's the point in preparing for the zombie apocalypse if Europe gets invaded and not the US?
Truth!

I have to spread rep around before repping you again ...

Old 07-07-2016, 05:10 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Petrol is going to have it's final party pretty quick. It will be worth something for a long time. Coal has been worth something for a long time, but the winds of change are eroding it.

Natural gas is a current substitute, wind and solar are up and coming substitutes, cars are getting more efficient all the time....but the game changing killer is coming out of Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks.

They believe they will have commercially viable fusion in 5 years.

Lockheed Developing Truck-Sized Nuclear Fusion Reactor - Bloomberg
Fusion was supposed to be "the energy of the future" back when I was in high school. I'm now retired (at FRA). At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Fusion has been all but proven impossible. However, Thorium is possible and could be the nuke of the future if research would divert money away from stock and real estate bubbles.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
You come across these doom and gloom people every year
And they're always SELLING something... books, gold, asset management, annuities, etc. Just ignore these people. 80% of market timers fail over any reasonable time period.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
And they're always SELLING something... books, gold, asset management, annuities, etc. Just ignore these people. 80% of market timers fail over any reasonable time period.
You've gt that right. About a year or so ago I was walking and surfing the radio and happened to come across Sean Hannity. I listened to him for a few minutes and all he did was talk about how bad everything was and how the US was on the road to economic disaster. Of course, this was immediately followed by a commercial with him pushing gold for "these troubled times"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics