Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:13 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times

Advertisements

I'm not worried one bit. I do think we will go into a recession, but I don't think it will be that bad at all. We are already just trudging along at the bottom, how much worse could it get?

We will drop into a recession, and next thing you know we will pop back up, everything will be over and we will all just keep on trudging.

I do not see doomsday happening anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 08:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
If we enter a recession within the next year or two then I believe it will due to conditions abroad.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:52 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Recessions are never fun when you are one of those who loses their job. We lost 8.7 million jobs in the last recession.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:21 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Hearing snippets of one of the political conventions, I would say that;
Increased defense spending.
Increased internal security spending.
Affordable HC. for all.
Lower taxes and fairer taxes.
More Veteran care and benefits.
And maybe infrastructure.

I'd wouldn't worry.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If the economy was so good, interest rates would not be zero for a decade. A decade, people. Does that sound good to you? Good economies do not produce political candidates like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump. Their very existence is based on economics - anti trade, etc... Good economies produce Bill Clintons or George Bushes.

People on this board are happy when the U.S. resembles a Pottersville, which is happening with increasing rapidity these days.
Drats, can't rep you again
There are those saying pay no attention to the banking wizards behind the curtains artificially propping up the fraudulent markets

Pay no attention to the fact that people like Trump and Sanders are gaining popularity in a rigged game.
When we kill all trade pacts and take away the free money to Wall Street, I'll tell those people to "ignore it"

Old 07-20-2016, 05:05 PM

197 posts, read 261,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There's no reason to believe the United States is going to experience a severe recession. A modest one with a few bad quarters? Sure. That's the natural economic cycle and we're already overdue for a modest recession. We don't have the imbalances that triggered 2008. Mortgage requirements are sane again. The banking reform keeps the banks from doing anything that's too crazy. The United States is the safe haven. The messes in Europe and China only make the US stronger.
LMAO! What a load! In case you haven't noticed the entire US economy is based on the global economy! If China and Europe goes it's only a matter of time before the US economy implodes. Keep drinking the .gov kool aid my friend! The DOW could very well hit 20K etc. The economy may not implode for a few more years. But it definitely will. The entire global economy has been propped up by central banks running the printing presses on overdrive buying everything in sight for the last 8 years! China's growth has been fueled by debt. All the big European banks are setting up shop in the US. That's the only reason capital is flowing into the market, bonds, etc. Yes we are the world's last safe haven etc. But that will end. And it will end badly. We are living in a Keynesian nightmare! And when we finally decide to wake up, reality will be even scarier.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:11 PM

197 posts, read 261,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Yes on the first point, no on the second. "International oligarchs? The very same who lost hundreds of billions in the FTSE, DAX and CAC? In dollar-denominated terms, those markets have NOT recovered post-Brexit. Some are net-negative in the 21st century thus far.

I would argue that the great global financial imbalance and instability of the past generation, was not debt amongst American consumers, but endemic weakness in Europe. What we need is more international cohesion and joint action – perhaps akin to a second Marshall Plan. Instead what we're seeing is nativist retrenchment.

The premise of this thread is exactly backwards. It shouldn't be, "What the hell are we going to do if the US enters another recession?" Instead, it should be, "How the hell will the world set aside its prejudices and insecurities, to collectively rescue Europe".
The EU was a failure from the beginning! It needs to fail! And when it does fail countries like India and Russia will pick up the slack! Russia will be the next military and financial superpower in my lifetime. And if they happen to ally with China against us you can kiss the petrodollar bye bye!! While we are running around screaming about which gender uses which bathrooms and bordering on a major race war....China is making deals all over the world, Russia is advancing their military and building back up their economy etc. Now all you'll hear from western media sources is how backwards the Russian military and their economy is. How unlikable and hated Putin is in Russia.........rinse and repeat! Putin is a very strong leader that puts Russia and Russian interests first period. The only saving grace regarding Trump is he could very well align himself with Putin which would be a good thing instead of Clinton who would very likely take us to war with Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics