Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:25 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times

Advertisements

And in the same news articles it was reported that Kohl's profits increased 8% in quarter 2. So retail isn't dead.

Dept stores are suffering from a variety of problems. Customer behavior is changing, as it always does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Would have to agree that Amazon may be to blame.

If I need a new pair of pants or hooded sweatshirt, I can dial up amazon and have one delivered to me in a few days.

Doesn't fit? Can return it just as easy. I love not having to go to the mall anymore
I'd rather go to the mall than stand in line at the UPS or post office mailing back something that doesn't fit. Plus, often the quality of on-line clothes isn't all that good.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:20 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I'd rather go to the mall than stand in line at the UPS or post office mailing back something that doesn't fit. Plus, often the quality of on-line clothes isn't all that good.
Really

How about brands?

Old 08-16-2016, 04:13 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Macy's deserves what they're getting. Worst credit services line in America. Literally can't understand the recordings and nobody speaks English. Run by Citibank. You go in the stores and it's always a disaster, dirty and unorganized. The customer service is crap if you can even find them. I haven't shopped there in years.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Millennials shop for real bargains and buy less clothing. Have less disposable income due to lack of jobs. This all due to poor job creation, outsourcing, foreign worker dependence, and high debt load due to useless college degrees.

More reasons Millennials unlikely to vote for Hillary and prefers Sanders or Trump. Hillary doesn't have any solutions to help the 30 something and younger workers. She wants you to vote for her because she wants more rights for immigrants to work here. How about that? That's exactly what she's been pushing for, immigration changes and more perm status for illegals.

Do you think recent immigrants shop at Macy's?
Totally off topic, but of course someone had to go there I'm just surprised politics came up this quickly in the thread (post #2). Anyway, brick and mortar stores suffer from a lot of disadvantages to online: less selection, shopping inconvenience, higher prices than even the own store's online prices, sales tax charges, the list goes on. I don't like Macy's because their stuff is overpriced. I prefer discount stores like Kohl's.

I'm not buying the article's claim that people are buying less clothes. People always need clothes, and they need to replace them more often than TVs and computers. It's difficult to quantify how often people buy clothes when they shop online and many shoppers buy clothes online now. Personally, I don't like buying clothes online because I can't try them on. I hope going to a brick and mortar store for clothes shopping will remain an option for many years to come.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:52 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Macy's has had problems for years. Many of their problems started back when they bought Filene's and rebranded them into Macy's. Some malls then had 2 Macy's. Many malls that have a Macy's never deserved one. There's one mall they were in with a freaking K-Mart. What's that tell you? There's a reason you don't see Nordstrom or Restoration Hardware in every mall....or even most malls.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Macy's has had problems for years. Many of their problems started back when they bought Filene's and rebranded them into Macy's. Some malls then had 2 Macy's. Many malls that have a Macy's never deserved one. There's one mall they were in with a freaking K-Mart. What's that tell you? There's a reason you don't see Nordstrom or Restoration Hardware in every mall....or even most malls.
I also think many of malls will go bust in the next downturn.

I like shopping in a mall but it seems people are moving away from this culture.

Very sad.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
What do you expect? Brick and mortar can't really compete anymore with online. I think the era of big box retail is slowly coming to an end. The future will be a mix of online retail and small boutique shops that cater to a niche.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:35 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Best thing that could happen to Macy's would be to see either Sears or JC Penney fail. Sears might not be around in another 2 years. Then Macy's can grab some market share.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:28 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Online shopping is what I think is hurting the stores the most.

I need a dress for a wedding, I go online, click 10P, click color I want, click occasion I want--my selection comes up. Hit click to add, etc. No need to hunt through racks of clothes in three different departments.

Some stores make online shopping so easy. If it doesn't fit, pack it up, drop it off at the mailbox. I only use stores that have free shipping and returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics