U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:21 PM

4,725 posts, read 2,255,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
artificially prop up the stock market and steal from the middle class
I'm middle class, and most of net worth is from gains in the stock market.

So you're saying I stole from myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
So, we have avoided pain for the last 16 years
Avoided pain? Dotcom bust, housing crisis with massive recession, unemployment rate going up to double digits.... nah we avoided pain. The last 16 years have been easy for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:21 PM

4,229 posts, read 1,905,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Our GDP would be a better index if it actually depended on product. It does not. GDP includes paper manipulation of finances by bank "profits." It also includes things like the sale of Schitzer Steel to the Russians or the Chinese purchase of Morgan-Stanley.
GDP is comprised of four things -- personal consumption expenditures, gross private domestic investment, goverment consumption and investment expenditures, and net exports. That's it.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:47 PM

8,285 posts, read 3,454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It seems to me that if people can't get a return, they don't save anything. They don't save up for future purchases, and the banks don't have any money to lend out. It especially hurts the elderly who have money in fixed income securities.
Not many people save a substantial amount in cash. Most save by investing in stocks, bonds or whatever.
Banks no longer need depositors money to create loans. Loans create deposits.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...land-austerity

Old 08-29-2016, 08:09 PM

731 posts, read 399,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Explain how our Fed is using taxpayer money to purchase bonds.
Quantitative Easing or QE is a monetary strategy where a central bank creates new money and then uses that money to purchase assets and bonds from commercial banks and other financial institutions.

QE is a uncapitalistic measure to self-enrich the few at the cost of the many (US taxpayers). The Fed engaged in QE to get out of the mess of not having enough buyers for bond auctions which primarily is due to the fact they are fixing their own auctions.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Quantitative Easing or QE is a monetary strategy where a central bank creates new money and then uses that money to purchase assets and bonds from commercial banks and other financial institutions.

QE is a uncapitalistic measure to self-enrich the few at the cost of the many ( us taxpayers). The Fed engaged in QE to get out of the mess of not having enough buyers for bond auctions which primarily is due to the fact they are fixing their own auctions.
So how is that tax money?
I pay taxes and I and my family have gained significantly because of low interest rates promoted by the Fed/QE.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
So how is that tax money?
I pay taxes and I and my family have gained significantly because of low interest rates promoted by the Fed/QE.
It's all about sticking it to the taxpayers. That is a new game in town. Who is going to pay back all this debt, 20 Trillion $$$$. Taxpayers will. Our kids and grandkids will be paying for our insanity and for the biggest lie out there that debt doesn't matter. Debt matters!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm middle class, and most of net worth is from gains in the stock market.

So you're saying I stole from myself?

Avoided pain? Dotcom bust, housing crisis with massive recession, unemployment rate going up to double digits.... nah we avoided pain. The last 16 years have been easy for everyone.
All yours,mine and everyone elses stock market gains came from the Fed spoon feeding us with taxpayer money or stolen public money. We all are going to pay back this stolen money from the future, ( if not you, your kids are going to pay it back ) borrowed money that was used to pump stock market, housing market and we haven't fixed anything, our GDP growth is what 1.2%. What a joke!!!!

Oh trust me, you haven't seen nothing yet. You are yet to see and experience what is real pain. Some of us may not make it alive if Civil War breaks out or major world war. What do you think that there will not be any consequences for this debt orgy since 2001????????? The World is a dangerous place today. The World is drowning in debt!!!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:58 PM

6,819 posts, read 4,410,206 times
Quote:
... You are yet to see and experience what is real pain. Some of us may not make it alive if Civil War breaks out or major world war. What do you think that there will not be any consequences for this debt orgy since 2001????????? The World is a dangerous place today. The World is drowning in debt!!!
What if the space-aliens come first, and enslave us all?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
It's all about sticking it to the taxpayers. That is a new game in town. Who is going to pay back all this debt, 20 Trillion $$$$. Taxpayers will. Our kids and grandkids will be paying for our insanity and for the biggest lie out there that debt doesn't matter. Debt matters!!!!!!
Of course debt matters. But QE is within the Fed/banking system. This is the new game. No taxpayers needed. The US Treasury debt held by the Fed puts the interest BACK into the Treasury. Functionally as if there is about $2.5T less national debt that actual.

And national debt is never paid off, that is the old game. And when it is sovereign debt, it can be paid down and taxpayers not even needed. But like you say, we like to keep our middle class on the hook.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What if the space-aliens come first, and enslave us all?
I admire you, you have no worries at all. You are one of those guys who thinks we have been in economic recovery since 2008, everything is cool, we can live in denial forever, debt is good and etc. You have no worries because you are not aware of anything, you have no idea what is going on in the world. Maybe it's better so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or