Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

It is amazing the difference between the coasts and middle-America.

The coasts in general tend to look down on manufacturing and lower level service jobs. They have very high taxes, regulations and costs to keep the lower wage jobs out that don't deal with catering to the well off.

Middle-America doesn't look down on manufacturing and insurance call-center jobs because a married couple with those jobs that people on the coasts look down on buys a very nice house with a huge yard in the suburbs of Des Moines, Wichita, Lincoln, Sioux Falls.

I notice that Sioux Falls has the lowest unemployment rate and South Dakota has made some large gains in income for the lower and middle-class. I think this is because unlike snubbing and laughing at $15-$20 an hour jobs in insurance call-centers and manufacturers they embrace them as they buy a good life in the state.

Sioux Falls for example 5 bedroom homes go for $160,000-$170,000, they have no income tax, the property taxes are extremely low and they have short commute times.

The principle and interest on a house in Sioux Falls is a third of the cost that a 1 bedroom costs in San Francisco.

A married couple, which it is a very, very married city with two median wage Sioux Falls jobs that people on the coasts would laugh at could easily afford that house.

I think it will just get worse and worse the income inequality on the coasts until this economic bubble bursts caused by low-interest rates.

The coasts seem to basically have no middle-class, compared to middle-America when you adjust in the cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 04:19 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

The coasts in general tend to look down on manufacturing and lower level service jobs. They have very high taxes, regulations and costs to keep the lower wage jobs out that don't deal with catering to the well off.

Middle-America doesn't look down on manufacturing and insurance call-center jobs because a married couple with those jobs that people on the coasts look down on buys a very nice house with a huge yard in the suburbs of Des Moines, Wichita, Lincoln, Sioux Falls.

I notice that Sioux Falls has the lowest unemployment rate and South Dakota has made some large gains in income for the lower and middle-class. I think this is because unlike snubbing and laughing at $15-$20 an hour jobs in insurance call-centers and manufacturers they embrace them as they buy a good life in the state.

Sioux Falls for example 5 bedroom homes go for $160,000-$170,000, they have no income tax, the property taxes are extremely low and they have short commute times.

The principle and interest on a house in Sioux Falls is a third of the cost that a 1 bedroom costs in San Francisco.

A married couple, which it is a very, very married city with two median wage Sioux Falls jobs that people on the coasts would laugh at could easily afford that house.

I think it will just get worse and worse the income inequality on the coasts until this economic bubble bursts caused by low-interest rates.

The coasts seem to basically have no middle-class, compared to middle-America when you adjust in the cost of living.
What about eureka ca? Best weather in the country just like the Bay Area and houses are only 200k?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:35 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:

I'd like to know what call centers pay enough and/or offer enough hours for that. Don't call centers pay about 10-12 an hour? A mortgage on a 160k house with a low interest rate is going to be about $830 a month and that's just the note. With PITI you're looking at more like $1000.

Realistically your married couple would both have to get 1) full time hours and 2) about 16 an hour between them.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'd like to know what call centers pay enough and/or offer enough hours for that. Don't call centers pay about 10-12 an hour? A mortgage on a 160k house with a low interest rate is going to be about $830 a month and that's just the note. With PITI you're looking at more like $1000.

Realistically your married couple would both have to get 1) full time hours and 2) about 16 an hour between them.
The call-centers in cities like Omaha, Sioux Falls and Des Moines are very heavily concentrated in the insurance industry which requires a license by the state.

I think basically the big bank and insurance call-centers in Omaha, Des Moines and Sioux Falls have always offered benefit packages as they are typically huge companies. I have heard quite a few even offer on-site daycare's, so can't imagine them skimping on a competitive healthcare plan.

The insurance call-center jobs tend to start around $15 to $16 an hour and go up from there, but they do have to be licensed through the state.

Two people working full-time jobs through an insurance call-center would gross about $65,000 a year plus they usually have benefits since they are typically large companies.

$65,000 a year with these low interest rates would buy a very nice house in Des Moines, Lincoln, Omaha or Sioux Falls.

The call-centers that pay $10-$12 an hour are usually outbound sales plus commission, political and customer satisfaction surveys.

The $10-$12 an hour call-centers tend to prefer college towns, areas with low median household incomes or areas with a higher unemployment rate.

The middle of the country also has a very large percentage of the population working manufacturing compared to the coasts which in general pays more then most people would think.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 09-09-2016 at 06:56 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 07:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
What about eureka ca? Best weather in the country just like the Bay Area and houses are only 200k?
Not to mention a huge agricultural industry (marijuana).

Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:

Yep, and I retired in Sioux Falls after living for 35 years in CA with the last 20 in the San Francisco Bay Area working at my public-sector job (8 years before that in Sacramento at another public sector job..28 total in public sector jobs) for which they are paying me a large lpension thanks to the powerful union and the Democrats. Although I've done this many times before, I want to once again thank all you Californians for my generous pension. I know your state can't afford it and there is a very bleak future picture there, but I'm glad that you saw fit to help me out. LOL

I took my pension and moved to Sioux Falls South Dakota where I can save about $30,000 a year because of no state income tax, cheaper housing, and cheaper everything else. My quality of life is much higher. And if I get tired of the winter I can easily be gone all of the winter and still be way ahead financially.

There is no end in sight to the growth of places like Sioux Falls. Very business friendly and folks are flocking here unfortunately. There are tons of good restaurants and lots to do in a very safe living environment. I should be able to hold out long enough as I am in my early 60s now so it probably won't be unliveable for another few decades when it becomes like pretty much all larger cities and that is controlled by the unions and the Democrats. LOL

Old 09-09-2016, 11:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

As a poor person on the coast, I shudder to think how high (or even medium) interest rates would affect me.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:03 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As a poor person on the coast, I shudder to think how high (or even medium) interest rates would affect me.
Cheaper housing prices

Old 09-10-2016, 03:42 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
not usually . just the opposite . we get our best appreciation when the economy is humming and rates are much higher . the best range for appreciation has been in the 6% mortgage range . that indicates the economy is doing fine and inflation is creeping up .

it creates a lot of demand since people go we better buy now before we can afford even less house . it is a fallacy that home prices will fall just because rates went up.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And as a used-t-be-poor person, who is actually doing something to increase my income through rental properties, they will affect me positively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics