Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

My wife was shipping a handbag to a Chinese eBay buyer and she was at the post office and they wanted $17 to ship it by USPS First Class International. It's not even in a box just a plastic shipping bag.

What's weird is that I buy stuff online and I notice that the postage on these Chinese goods shipped from China only costs around $2 and takes around 3 weeks to get here.

How can it be that cheap or maybe USPS overcharges us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:09 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
It costs a lot more to run the USPS than the Chinese PS. Labor costs, federal pension, and all that. And the USPS doesn't even break even; it's underfunded.
Count your blessings; to ship anything by UPS to Russia it's around $75, minimum.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:12 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My wife was shipping a handbag to a Chinese eBay buyer and she was at the post office and they wanted $17 to ship it by USPS First Class International. It's not even in a box just a plastic shipping bag.

What's weird is that I buy stuff online and I notice that the postage on these Chinese goods shipped from China only costs around $2 and takes around 3 weeks to get here.

USPS employees are middle class and aren't slaves making 5 dollars a day

Old 09-17-2016, 11:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Were your China goods delivered by USPS? Once goods reach US Shores, they are handled by US workers that make US wages. Suspect a subsidy by China retailer.

Ironically, your USPS goods shipped to China probably have far greater risk to NOT getting delivered once they arrive in China. $17 does not cover required bribes to get through officials / various economic borders / 'taxes' within China. Would be like paying and extra tax, for each USA state your USPS shipment crossed.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-18-2016 at 12:00 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Were your China goods delivered by USPS? Once goods reach US Shores, they are handled by US workers that make US wages. Suspect a subsidy by China retailer.

Ironically, your USPS goods shipped to China probably have far greater risk to NOT getting delivered once they arrive in China. $17 does not cover required bribes to get through officials / various economic borders / 'taxes' within China. Would be like paying and extra tax, for each USA state your USPS shipment crossed.
Maybe people shouldn't live in such a backward third world country where bribes are that common.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Maybe people shouldn't live in such a backward third world country where bribes are that common.
Yeah, China's 1+ billion should move out; SE Asia, Tibet, Canada, Australia, and the US beckon.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
China comprises nearly 20% of the population of entire world those folks and many like them do not get a choice of where they live. That is why thousands of refugees / exiles / persecuted per day are at great risk.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, China's 1+ billion should move out; SE Asia, Tibet, Canada, Australia, and the US beckon.
I wouldn't mind some more Chinese women

Old 09-18-2016, 03:58 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

It's that cheap from a dealer in China, because they ship many thousands of items on a regular basis. You would be shipping just one item.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Part of it is labor and part of it is the volume of shipping is either direction. Prices are higher where there cargo containers are full and can be quite cheap if the containers (or trucks or mailbags, or shipping units), which must return are returning empty. A few dollars is better than nothing on a container that costs to move yet is providing no income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics