U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:39 PM

4,229 posts, read 1,904,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The difference would be more rapid distance decay in both the DC and NYC areas.
Hmmm. What would this "distance decay" be based on? I don't think it will be the superior mass transit options available in the Bay Area. Do love the F-Line though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Hmmm. What would this "distance decay" be based on? I don't think it will be the superior mass transit options available in the Bay Area. Do love the F-Line though!
Sorry, meant the opposite. You can get relatively affordable places the further from NYC you're willing to go. Not possible in the Bay Area.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:29 PM

39,020 posts, read 23,141,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Stocks are overvalued and due for a correction. Maybe a little more. Real estate is overvalued in some areas. Otherwise we are in a low growth atmosphere with low inflation.
The stock market is being floated because of the low interest rates. When the interest rates are raised, and other investment areas offer a better return, the big investors in stocks will sell off to raise capital to put the money elsewhere. Stock prices will go down, and it will be an excellent opportunity for smaller investors to get into the stock market.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:46 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,311,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The stock market is being floated because of the low interest rates. When the interest rates are raised, and other investment areas offer a better return, the big investors in stocks will sell off to raise capital to put the money elsewhere. Stock prices will go down, and it will be an excellent opportunity for smaller investors to get into the stock market.
There's no telling when or if this will happen. Interest rates will likely be increased just after the election, but I don't think they'll be raised significantly. Many seem to think a Clinton victory is already priced into the market.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry, meant the opposite. You can get relatively affordable places the further from NYC you're willing to go. Not possible in the Bay Area.
It would make more sense that way, but I would still be somewhat skeptical. By the time you get to Billings, for instance, there seems to have been quite a drop-off in price. That had to have begun somewhere. I would guess that in the end, it's all a matter of degree. And per the current month's reporting on Zumper.com...

San Francisco, CA rents continued to decline, marking the third straight month that this has occurred. Rents are down 0.6% since last month and are more than 5 percent below where they were last year. Bay Area renters may finally be beginning to see an easing of rents.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
It would make more sense that way, but I would still be somewhat skeptical. By the time you get to Billings, for instance, there seems to have been quite a drop-off in price. That had to have begun somewhere. I would guess that in the end, it's all a matter of degree. And per the current month's reporting on Zumper.com...

San Francisco, CA rents continued to decline, marking the third straight month that this has occurred. Rents are down 0.6% since last month and are more than 5 percent below where they were last year. Bay Area renters may finally be beginning to see an easing of rents.
When I looked in to Bay Area housing, there was nowhere I could commute to and get a house for less than 400k. Not even 70 minutes or more out. That kind radius around Manhattan had plenty.

The only option was the deepest ghetto of Oakland.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Ah, I see. "Affordable" is < $400k.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. "Affordable" is < $400k.
That was what I could have afforded on the offered salary range with what I had saved for down payment.

I don't know how they find educators in the Bay Area, because they were pretty upset when I rejected it... Apparently I was something like the 3rd or 4th person to reject their offer (I was a little miffed I was not their first choice) on the basis of no affordable housing in range.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 AM

6,996 posts, read 6,629,325 times
Quote:
The difference would be more rapid distance decay in both the DC and NYC areas.
It doesn't work as a straight-line extrapolation since there are satellite cities within the metropolitan areas. These are secondary urban hubs with each of them would having expensive suburban neighborhoods for the more affluent.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
When you talk to people who are buying $700-900k homes simply by borrowing for that 20% down then take out another loan for the rest. Then you know we have a credit crisis down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or