Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 12:46 PM

7,623 posts, read 4,539,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Thank you Truth11....
America’s behavior – and cultural prejudice - putting money over every other value in life - is shameful. We are clearly worshipping the Golden Calf, not the philosopher-God on the mountain. Part of this comes from our clinging to the idea of the American Dream, which we translate almost entirely today as 'financial' freedom. Everything valuable can be bought.

Send us your tired, your weak, your poor.......and we can remake them as millionaires. This is a pretty amazing myth, with a very large shadow attached, making money the only thing that matters in America, on the Earth, and in God’s Heaven. That's why we have a large share of the world's millionaires, but also a very high rate of insanity, drug addiction, plastic surgery, alcoholism, suicide, child molestation, rape, murder...because for every millionaire America creates it creates 100,000+ so called losers (non-millionaires).

The American Dream has to be about more than just about money. We seem to be basing our ‘dream’ on an illusion. Money is seductive, yes, I understand this. Money is the ‘Wh*ore of Babylon’.
Pssst....before I fire up the choir to sing....and I mean SING..to the Eternally Benevolent Father on High that He may have pity on our worthless souls....

Let's talk a moment of the tired, weak and poor showing up from foreign lands thing. You know....they're kinda funny. We like to laugh a bit, Grandma and Grampa, the parents, the unmarried aunt, the kids...all living in one house. Guess the parents can all take some garbage jobs, while the older generation raises the younger generation....you know, they kindof stick together, like a family. Maybe it's because they came from some place that had higher murder rates, higher rape and molestation rates, higher incidences of crime. Maybe that's why they come to a country where they barely speak the language and are looked down upon by most citizens. Maybe it's out of family values. Maybe it's because together they can afford a big home and back each other up, but the byproduct we see is merely trying to outbid a family on a home with the earnings of a couple trying to also pay for child care and everything else.

or...maybe it's the Devil...Lucifer showing upon our sacred shores.

eh...nevermind...hit it

I have SEEN the light. I have SEEN it's reflexion smeared on the golden bull aside of Wall Street. <AAAAHHHH> Will we not all cast aside our wickedness and golden desires?!? <AAAAHHH> Mathjak, you are dancing in the frying pan, will you not cast aside your logic before you trade it for the flames. <Waahhhhhhhhiiiiiiii>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 05:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,295,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Like so many people are taken aback that I can't just go out and buy another car since my other one died,things like that.
If you are 19 and working in fast food, that would be normal. If you're 45 with a degree and can't get a new car, that would probably be abnormal.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,295,710 times
Quote:
Funny,I think rich all the time but it's nothing but a pipe dream without the opportunities. That's the key word,not everyone gets offered the same opportunities...
OP, are you actually taking advantages of opportunities? Did you go to college (there are always ways to pay if you research/work hard enough). Have you had people of value give you feedback on your resume? Have you considered joining the military? Have you ever quit a job before having one lined up, thereby creating your own financial hardship and hole in your resume? Have you talked to EVERY boss about how the company decides promotions so that you could build yourself in a way to earn a promotion? Have you sought mentorship within your current company so that you could advance? What opportunities have you created for yourself? Are you a good employee, or not?

Old 10-08-2016, 05:27 PM

106,110 posts, read 108,073,381 times
Quote:
Funny,I think rich all the time but it's nothing but a pipe dream without the opportunities. That's the key word,not everyone gets offered the same opportunities...
thinking rich involves creativity to reach your goal .

as i mentioned earlier the carnegie deli is closing .it is one of the most famous deli's in the world located in nyc .

the dish washer is putting an investor group together to buy it and the name .

Old 10-08-2016, 06:04 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,407,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
If you are 19 and working in fast food, that would be normal. If you're 45 with a degree and can't get a new car, that would probably be abnormal.
Or 45 without a degree working nearly in fast food...

Old 10-08-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OP, are you actually taking advantages of opportunities? Did you go to college (there are always ways to pay if you research/work hard enough). Have you had people of value give you feedback on your resume? Have you considered joining the military? Have you ever quit a job before having one lined up, thereby creating your own financial hardship and hole in your resume? Have you talked to EVERY boss about how the company decides promotions so that you could build yourself in a way to earn a promotion? Have you sought mentorship within your current company so that you could advance? What opportunities have you created for yourself? Are you a good employee, or not?
To answer your questions- Of course I took advantage of every opp I could. I even tried for the impossible,like when I worked temp jobs always trying to get on permanent...things like that. I went to tech school and some community college,then later had no time for other schooling because I was working all those hours. The only resume critiques I've had were from those trying to get me to subscribe to their services. Too old for military now. I rarely quit a job without having backups,usually when I saw the ship sinking I began planning ahead. As far as advancing,I've been probably making a nuisance of myself asking about further opportunities...

Old 10-08-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thinking rich involves creativity to reach your goal .

as i mentioned earlier the carnegie deli is closing .it is one of the most famous deli's in the world located in nyc .

the dish washer is putting an investor group together to buy it and the name .
That's good for them...they've already got leverage behind them. It's different when you're nobody.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:32 PM

106,110 posts, read 108,073,381 times
well i was nobody and ended up becoming a partner with elliot spitzers father ,bernard spitzer in some real estate ventures .he is one of the biggest moguls in the country and i design pump and fan electrical panels as well as was a small time investor and was really a nobody too .

you network and make contacts through others .

Old 10-08-2016, 09:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,358,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well i was nobody and ended up becoming a partner with elliot spitzers father ,bernard spitzer in some real estate ventures .he is one of the biggest moguls in the country and i design pump and fan electrical panels as well as was a small time investor and was really a nobody too .

you network and make contacts through others .

Dang, I shoulda latched onto Bob Abrams when he was Borough President and he had a Youth Advisory Committee.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:02 AM

4,488 posts, read 3,902,930 times
Quote:
You're right, I had the glorious opportunity to completely fail in real estate sales and become absolutely penniless only to start my current business which has made me a fortune.

"You don't drown if you fall in the water, you only drown if you STAY there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics