Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:12 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Not only to dissolve them, but prosecute them for TREASON. The FED is not ignorant of the Business Cycle and the Laws of the Nature. Everything in nature breathes. It flows in and flows out. It is made strong; then it is made weak. This is the natural process. It needs to both ebb and flow.

Interest rates help it to do this, but only if rates are used in both direction, rhythmically. Ebb and flow, like the ocean.
In order to prosecute them for treason, you'd need to show that they were acting in the interest of an enemy country at war with the United States. Mere economic recklessness regarding financial management of the country is not treason - because they are not participating in any military action against the US or attempting to overthrow the US.

In fact most of the obligations are intragovernmental and intranational - therefore they cannot be treason.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:13 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the best way to get the debt under control (besides ending these wars) is getting health care costs under control. But that looks different than what people think. 70% of our health care costs are related to unhealthy lifestyles. We spend about $1 Trillion a year treating preventable diseases.

This guy has a very good blueprint for how to make change. It has very little to do with fighting each other about how to pay for health care AFTER people get sick.
What does 'under control' actually Mean? And just what are all the 'unhealthy lifestyles'? Besides the obvious, we all want to live full lives.

Our future HC costs will continue to rise. Barring some medical miracles which I would not rely on.

Our overall HC costs will increase simply through covering more people, along with our unfortunate aging demographics, as well as increased costs of new drugs and technologies.

Surely improving on our people's general health can save moneys here and there, but they will also live longer, consume HC services longer, and do more preventatives.

In 10, 20 and 100 years our HC costs will be progressively larger no matter what general reform course we take, private or centrally directed. 20% or greater of an increasing GDP will continue to be a whole lot of money. Whether we are still obese or not.

Our future rising national debt and health are permanently conjoined. Via deficit spending.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The thing is, even if you "do everything right", your health care cost does not go down if you get sick at 85 and die at 95, instead of getting sick at 60 and dying at 70. I'm not of course saying that the added healthy years aren't worthwhile for intangible value reasons, only that strictly speaking this is the wrong way of looking at health care cost.
I agree with you.

We about NEVER hear or discuss the benefits of all that HC spending.

My wife and I would be dead for over 10 years for starters. Health and life itself are quite valuable commodities IMO. Of course as a doc and surviving patient I am a bit biased!

Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter."
-- Dick Cheney

I wonder if we'll be hearing that again any time soon.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter."
-- Dick Cheney

I wonder if we'll be hearing that again any time soon.
One never knows with Trump. He says that he knows debt!

(lol)

Old 11-24-2016, 03:55 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
I'm not sure what Trump knows. I might have more faith in the Oxy-Clean guy.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:49 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
See my post #25. This isn't alt-economics. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics