Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a reduction in the severity of zoning laws?
Yes, we need more housing 20 41.67%
No, keep the laws the way they are 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:00 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,059 times

Advertisements

Houston has however ended up with some serious pollution problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 02:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Why do people pay money for land they do not own to not own it? earth to Florida... wake up

Because it many cases that is preferable to and often cheaper than renting land they do not own to not own it.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:14 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Zoning laws and regulations vary so much, even city to city in the same state. My city has fairly lax zoning laws, and a city 30 miles away has strict zoning laws. Both have some advantages. The city with stricter zoning laws has a far more historic and vibrant downtown, and has grown much quicker. The key difference between the cities was management. My city gets new a new city council and they change the direction of the government every 5 years, which has had terrible results.

I don't think either is better then the other, but depending on what the city and community want to do, there is different directions for city governments. Sometimes cities need to change a zoned area and there is too much red tape to do so, but I've also seen cities (my city) demolish neat historic areas and put up dirty industrial areas, or move in homeless centers. I'm not against homeless centers, but to demolish a 100 year old building in a neighborhood with cafes, lofts, and offices, and putting in a homeless center is a terrible plan. Stricter zoning laws could have prevented that. But sometimes the past has to be let go and allow the new to be built. A city I used to live in redeveloped a warehouse district into lofts, apartments, restaurants, and entertainment, that was a great move to use an abandoned part of the city. It's now an expensive part of the city and has helped increase property values all over the area. Some of the nearby houses had been going to $20-30K, are now selling for $100K+.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:44 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
In leafy suburbia, the value of your home is closely tied to the quality of the public school system. The school system in affluent towns with engaged, college educated parents tend to be much higher quality than the surrounding school systems. Those towns will do whatever they can with zoning regulations for minimum lot size, minimum frontage, setbacks, and restrictions on multi-dwelling units to keep it that way.

If you want successful mixed income towns with affordable housing options for lower income people, you have to change how public schools work. The people who make the laws are the affluent people who benefit from maintaining the status quo. I don't see it changing.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:45 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,059 times
If one sees things only as black-and-white, a lot of shades of gray will be missed.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:35 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In leafy suburbia, the value of your home is closely tied to the quality of the public school system. The school system in affluent towns with engaged, college educated parents tend to be much higher quality than the surrounding school systems. Those towns will do whatever they can with zoning regulations for minimum lot size, minimum frontage, setbacks, and restrictions on multi-dwelling units to keep it that way.

If you want successful mixed income towns with affordable housing options for lower income people, you have to change how public schools work. The people who make the laws are the affluent people who benefit from maintaining the status quo. I don't see it changing.
Maybe it is best to avoid that form of suburbia.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Maybe it is best to avoid that form of suburbia.
Yes. But they will keep attracting people, most of the top rated public schools in the country are located in just that kind of suburbia, so in effect it does work to a degree.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:38 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Yes. But they will keep attracting people, most of the top rated public schools in the country are located in just that kind of suburbia, so in effect it does work to a degree.
If having a 'high rate school' is the top priority then go for it.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can do that by, get this, messing with student attendance zones for schools. My local schools constantly rate as some of the best in Florida (school districts by county down here) and a good chunk of that comes from more evenly distributing the poor kids as schools across the district where they're likely to get 'pulled up' in mixed SES-high expectation environment rather than letting them cluster in a few low-performing areas while the rich parts of the district build their own academic fortress.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:46 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You have obviously never been to Oregon or at least know nothing about Oregon housing prices. They are greatly inflated due to zoning.
Same for California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics