Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 05:08 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
It's already been a market recession for almost a year and half. Just look at the graphs. Flat S&P, Dow, & Nasdaq over that time. I don't think we ever got a real crash because of low interest rates and positive fundamental demographic & other factors helped counteract forces that might have caused a real crash. The worst damage has been done (Brexit, election, China fears, EU declines) and we weathered it. I actually think we are due for another rally and we are seeing the beginning of it.
I hope you are right, Shampoo. I'm stuck in the red on a couple of stocks, so I sure would like an opportunity to at least break even before a crash. Maybe I can get out of those particular stocks before then. I need the price of oil to go up. And time. (But I plan on hanging tight with my dividend stocks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I actually think we are due for another rally and we are seeing the beginning of it.
Never underestimate the power of Republicans to ruin an economy. There has not been an economically successful Republican administration in more than 100 years. Of course, past performance is not a predictor of future failure. It's just something to take into account.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:52 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Brexit actually had to do with economics. There is an actionable economic consequence to Brexit.

The election of Donald Trump does not presage anything economic. At least not yet.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:08 PM

468 posts, read 425,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Never underestimate the power of Republicans to ruin an economy. There has not been an economically successful Republican administration in more than 100 years. Of course, past performance is not a predictor of future failure. It's just something to take into account.
Well the Cubs won. So did a Cleveland team. Anything's possible

For our sake, I hope the past does not predict the future.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I am sure cement companies like Cemex or Heidelberg stock have been going up since Trump has been elected.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The issue isn't what happens to companies, or to their profits; the issue is what happens to perception. Or more precisely, the issue is what happens to the perception of others' perception, of others' perception, of others'... in infinite regression.

Sure, fundamentals (revenue and profit, book value, return on invested capital, etc.) eventually are reflected in stock prices. But how long is "eventually"? Worthy companies can see their stock prices crushed. Fluff-businesses, without a business plan (let alone a profit) can see their stock prices skyrocket.

It is perfectly rational to suppose, that fantastical and counter-factual rumor could crush the stock market; and that solid, reliable news would be ignored; or vice versa.

Exhibit A is the British stock market, the FTSE. Why is it trading at half of the P/E of the S&P 500? Is this a screaming buying opportunity? Maybe, but if so, why haven't investors already pounced on it? Maybe there's some opaque and subtle rationale for this. Maybe not. I have zero cognizance of it, and instead just accept it as an enigma. And with that attitude, we have no scheme by which to reckon, whether the US stock market should have zoomed or collapsed, or done nothing at all, on account of the election.

TL;DR: knowledge is useless.
If a company makes or provides a good product or service it should be able to stave off any political or economic climate short of Venezuela or October revolution.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Warren Buffet is a friend of Hillary so he is of course liberal. He is also well know for telling people how he makes his money. He takes people's stocks when they are low, and give them back when they are high. So why would he say things that would get people emotional?

If you have actually recently watched the markets, you can see that American production companies are up, while foreign production companies are down. This took a sharp curve after Trump was elected. If you know of Bill Clinton's tie to NAFTA, than you can project why this happened. If Trump cuts NAFTA and raises or institutes tariffs like he said, consumer goods companies' profits would decrease sharply. This is because many of their goods are made on the cheap in foreign countries. The outcry is that consumer goods would decrease sharply, that is not true. In fact I believe the contrary, since more people will have jobs. Therefore, no Armageddon, sorry. Warren Buffet was betting on Hilary to win. I also made that mistake and lost a little.
But why should company profits mean that much when dividends really arent the real value behind the stock, or main reason people buy the stock? Most people it seems buy stock thinking they can sell later to someone else at higher price.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Not only is the stock market up, but at record levels.

Stock market

Old 11-23-2016, 08:03 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am sure cement companies like Cemex or Heidelberg stock have been going up since Trump has been elected.
CX has been going down. The wall construction would only be on the US side of the border. Almost all of the building construction stocks have been rising for months.

It remains to be seen whether 1 trillion dollars in infrastructure spending over 10 years is real growth. The federal government already spends at that rate. If it is growth, does it merely supplant state and local spending?

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/49910

Old 11-23-2016, 08:09 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not only is the stock market up, but at record levels.

Stock market
Whenever I hear "record levels" it makes me want to sell. 2007 had record levels. What goes up must come down.

We are already overdue for a recession. It would be a miracle if it didn't happen in the next 4 years. I doubt it will be as bad as 2008 was, but more like the 1991 recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics