Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Trump touted that he saved jobs and they only saved it by giving incentives. That's a direct opposite to what he said he would do. If I say I'm going to punish and make you pay but instead pay you, I lied. Even if he doesn't have the power to punish what he did do was the opposite of what he said. The truth is they are still shipping jobs out and got incentives to leave some of them
You can't possibly be serious with this idiotic argument. He'll punish corporations that leave (Carrier didn't leave), and reward those that stay.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Trump didn't remotely keep his word. He said he'd fine companies for taking jobs overseas, instead he's bribing them to stay. Paying them isn't the same as making them pay a fine. And more than half the jobs are leaving anyway. He's claiming victory for what he'd be attacking as a failure by anyone else.

That's called a lie.
I was under the impression Trump wasn't president yet. Did I miss something? Geez, are people going to be this pathetic during his 4 years, spewing garbage. Trump at least got involved even before being president. Obama didn't do a very good job with trying to keep companies here. Oh I voted Obama and Bernie, so not everyone is so far right or left around here. Some actually think and look at the good and the bad and ALL presidents have some good and some bad. ALL!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:20 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
You can't possibly be serious with this idiotic argument. He'll punish corporations that leave (Carrier didn't leave), and reward those that stay.
Except they are still sending jobs to Mexico and he said he'd punish companies who did that, instead he gave them an incentive to keep some of the jobs in the US. Nothing like what he promised. If you think my argument is idiotic that's on you because basic common sense should show you the difference between his promise and what just happened

Old 12-02-2016, 05:23 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I was under the impression Trump wasn't president yet. Did I miss something? Geez, are people going to be this pathetic during his 4 years, spewing garbage. Trump at least got involved even before being president. Obama didn't do a very good job with trying to keep companies here. Oh I voted Obama and Bernie, so not everyone is so far right or left around here. Some actually think and look at the good and the bad and ALL presidents have some good and some bad. ALL!
People won't be "pathetic," but I firmly believe the foul-mouthed, Tweetster will be....if he makes it into office.

There is, so far, NO "good" when it comes to pu**y-grabbing Trump. And yeah, if he does make it into the White House, I don't think he'll be an effective president, let alone an honest one, and I am not going to kowtow to the racist pig for a minute of whatever months or years he has.

One good comment: his hair appears to be better-tamed.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 PM

If Trump becomes President and if he somehow manages to put a significantly lower cap on executive pay and bonuses, I'll praise that action.

And any CEO who sends jobs out of the country cannot benefit even a penny for doing so.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I'm still a little bit curious about how the multinational corporations who hold TRILLIONS overseas are going to be given some special break to repatriate their earnings. Yet we give them another break here and there (It doesn't really matter which state it comes from) to "keep" jobs at home.

The system is rigged (Which is the only thing I can give Trump credit for) but it definitely ain't rigged in favor of the American average family.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
People won't be "pathetic," but I firmly believe the foul-mouthed, Tweetster will be....if he makes it into office.

There is, so far, NO "good" when it comes to pu**y-grabbing Trump. And yeah, if he does make it into the White House, I don't think he'll be an effective president, let alone an honest one, and I am not going to kowtow to the racist pig for a minute of whatever months or years he has.

One good comment: his hair appears to be better-tamed.
Seems you are falling for a very leftist media and thier agenda that mirrors your own. To say Trump has nothing to offer sounds childish and silly to me. Keeping in mind I wanted Bernie Sanders as president. Yeah, I know you don't get that I could look past Trumps misspoken words, but I can and I do because that is background noise compared to what is at stake. He is a good negotiator and I also have a feeling our foreign policy may improve and he may do a better job at keeping us working with less outsourcing. All this remains to be seen of course since he isn't even president yet! Goodness!!!!!!!!!! Our guys lost. Stop with the temper tantrums. I really have moved a little more right after seeing how ridiculous young democrats are acting. They are scaring me more than the GOP'ers. I mean look at this, which is sort of local to me!

Election argument ends with assault, Donora police say | Washington County News | Observer-Reporter

Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
600 people will still be out of a job at Carrier USA. Carrier is still building in Mexico and plans on hiring 1300 Mexican employees for that facility.
BTW Carrier has plants in at least 35 countries. This was no big deal except for Trumps ego. The taxpayers still lose. And as a lot of people have mentioned this Trump type deal will just hold the US hostage to all other corporations doing business outside the USA.
Guess whose footing the bill for the 'Trump Appreciation Tour' and all those secret service and limos etc etc.

Last edited by wit-nit; 12-02-2016 at 06:38 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
600 people will still be out of a job at Carrier USA. Carrier is still building in Mexico and plans on hiring 600 Mexican employees for that facility.
BTW Carrier has plants in at least 35 countries. This was no big deal except for Trumps ego. The taxpayers still lose. And as a lot of people have mentioned this Trump type deal will just hold the US hostage to all other corporations doing business outside the USA.
Guess whose footing the bill for the 'Trump Appreciation Tour' and all those secret service and limos etc etc.
1100 people got to keep their job. I am pretty sure that is a big deal to them. Nobody held Trump hostage. Obama has been sitting on the sidelines as jobs have been leaving the country. Trump is not even the POTUS yet, and he has already done more for American workers than Obama did in 8 years.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:56 PM

[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
1100 people got to keep their job. I am pretty sure that is a big deal to them. Nobody held Trump hostage. Obama has been sitting on the sidelines as jobs have been leaving the country. Trump is not even the POTUS yet, and he has already done more for American workers than Obama did in 8 years.
Well, don't let facts get in the way.

In the first place, Trump did not save 1100 jobs. http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/02/news...-plant-mexico/

"The real number is 800.
To get the higher number, Carrier and Trump are counting 300 jobs that weren't at risk of being shipped to Mexico."

Carrier also confirmed Friday that a second factory owned by Carrier corporate parent United Technologies (UTX) is also still moving to Mexico. That move will cost Indiana another 700 jobs.

The Trump transition team did not respond to a request for comment about the jobs moving to Mexico.

In the second place, the unemployment rate has been cut in half under President Obama.

UNEMPLOYMENT RATES UNDER PRESIDENT OBAMA

"When Obama assumed office, the unemployment rate was still rising sharply. It topped out at 10 percent in October 2009, hovering just below that level for the next year, before beginning a steady decline at the end of 2010 that has persisted into early-2016 and breaking through the 5 percent mark at the beginning of 2016.

"http://historyinpieces.com/research/us-unemployment-rates-president

and also:

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 12-02-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics