Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,422 times

Advertisements

What I don't understand about this.........OP says this guy has almost 800 FICO. I only have a 805 and I have NEVER in my lifetime filed for bankruptcy, missed any type of payment on ANY loan or credit card, have AmEx and Visa in my name and second name on Discover with very high credit limits on all three, have a paid off home and car (loan in my name). I understand that this is affected by the fact that I don't currently have a car loan or mortgage or tons of credit cards.........but come on, shouldn't that be a GOOD thing??? I have had all those type of debts at one time or another and have never, ever defaulted on anything or even been late. Every month I pay off the credit cards in full. Shouldn't this tell them that I am financially astute and secure???

Just saying............

I am an advocate of people paying off their debts one way or another. I agree........pay back the $10K or don't get an AmEx card. Simple as that. And if I see one more of those ads about companies who "help" people get their tax bills lowered I'm going to scream. You obviously made the money, now pay the taxes on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,761,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
if I see one more of those ads about companies who "help" people get their tax bills lowered I'm going to scream. You obviously made the money, now pay the taxes on it.

What nonsense is this? If you aren't looking for each and every way to minimize taxes, you're either crazy or doing it wrong.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:12 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
What nonsense is this? If you aren't looking for each and every way to minimize taxes, you're either crazy or doing it wrong.
I think rothbear means those who fail to pay all the tax they do owe, not those who legally minimize what they owe.

I agree with the bear.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 PM

711 posts, read 687,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
And if I see one more of those ads about companies who "help" people get their tax bills lowered I'm going to scream. You obviously made the money, now pay the taxes on it.
Here's how this works from my past experience** - Someone doesn't file their taxes for a few years. The IRS finally decides they'll estimate the amount due. They base their estimate on the high end of what they believe you would have made in a year based on profession and geographic area. They don't include any deductions. Then they add in interest and penalties.

These companies you mention generally help people construct a case for what they actually made in income and their deductions. Actual documents are the best source of income and deductions - but I believe if you can construct a fairly documentable history the IRS will accept most of the case. Once your actual income and deductions are documented, the tax bill and resulting interest/penalties go down substantially.

The IRS isn't reducing the tax - they're just adjusting it to what is actually due vs their incredibly high estimate. You still pay interest and penalty - but only on the true tax amount due.

**I'm a bookkeeper and have helped a couple clients reconstruct past history and records so they could dispute incredibly high tax bills.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:29 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
I use my AMEX card all the time and I love the protection and customer service they offer me. I carry a MasterCard as backup but only use it every so often to keep it current.

Bankruptcy or not, the OP's friend stiffed AMEX for $10K. Can one not understand why they do not wish to do business with someone who did this to them? Would you? Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:47 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,761,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think rothbear means those who fail to pay all the tax they do owe, not those who legally minimize what they owe.

I agree with the bear.
That makes more sense, and agreed.

I'll be off now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics