Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times

Advertisements

I bought my wife a bunch of All-Clad pots and pans for Xmas this year. They are made in the USA, in PA. You can still buy fine quality items that last forever, you just have to pay for them. A similar item made in China is about 40% of the cost that I spent.

*Most* people will not, when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, pay for the higher quality item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
I've never seen any studies conducted that compared the average lifespan of any manufactured goods from a certain time period to something made more recently. Everything is anecdotal, such as posts on this board. IMO, generally speaking, things are actually better these days, despite all the doom and gloom attitude certain people have. I think a lot of people who suggest things back in the "good ole days" were higher quality pick and chose things to compare. Ex. maybe a high end appliance back in the day lasted longer than an average one built more recently but that's not an apples to apples comparison. A lot of the old houses that were poorly constructed were torn down and therefore a large percentage of old houses still standing were high quality construction. That doesn't mean in general houses from long ago were built better than ones today. I would be interesting to see any kind of formal study on the matter though.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:41 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I've never seen any studies conducted that compared the average lifespan of any manufactured goods from a certain time period to something made more recently. Everything is anecdotal, such as posts on this board. IMO, generally speaking, things are actually better these days, despite all the doom and gloom attitude certain people have. I think a lot of people who suggest things back in the "good ole days" were higher quality pick and chose things to compare. Ex. maybe a high end appliance back in the day lasted longer than an average one built more recently but that's not an apples to apples comparison. A lot of the old houses that were poorly constructed were torn down and therefore a large percentage of old houses still standing were high quality construction. That doesn't mean in general houses from long ago were built better than ones today. I would be interesting to see any kind of formal study on the matter though.
I would too, but im sure you can ask around in some retire neighborhoods and ask somebody if they have anything back in the day they kept because it still works vs the same item you can get now and see the quality difference.

look at what happen with maytag before whirlpool bought them out.. If you have a hoarder grand parent, you can bet they still have that same ol maytag washer and dryer from the 50s.. I know my grandparents did.. Still work, along with their freezer. replace the seals every now and then back to work it goes.

But yea i would like to see a study of the same product line compare what it was made in the 20-50s and now. Tools be the first start.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I would love to know what you are referring to. I can barely think of anything I owe that breaks quickly and needs to be replaced.
Easy if you look around your house..

Fridge average life span is 2-4 years after say 1980s. Im sure you have to replace parts in it but cost is just as much as a new one now days.

Kids Toys, Working tools, clothing. Everything we touch and use is made cheap, some good quality cheap, but cheap. Ever go to the tool section and see the exact same ratchet for 2 bucks and another one for 8 bucks just with another brand.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post

Fridge average life span is 2-4 years after say 1980s. Im sure you have to replace parts in it but cost is just as much as a new one now days.

Kids Toys, Working tools, clothing. Everything we touch and use is made cheap, some good quality cheap, but cheap. Ever go to the tool section and see the exact same ratchet for 2 bucks and another one for 8 bucks just with another brand.
Well knock on wood I bought our GE fridge in 2008. Scratch n' dent special for $500(!). Still works.

Tools? I have many hand tools ranging from old 1960s Craftsman ratchets to current day ones, even a Harbor Freight $5 special or two.

The old Craftsman ratchets were rough - forged metal that wasn't finished very well. Their low tooth count (30?) meant a very coarse ratcheting action. Most of my Craftsman tools are from 2010-2011 and they are excellent. Nicely finished, high tooth count (60), polished chrome vs plated, etc. Also made in the USA.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I think most things built today are built with a shelf life in mind. Where things were made before the technology of sealed for life wasn't as common. So things were able to be taken apart serviced/repaired. And things today simply are not designed to be as serviceable. Or at least serviceable CHEAPLY.
When it costs almost as much to repair as it costs to buy new.....

Lots of things on vehicles are sealed for life or non serviceable. That's not because they are looking out for the consumer. It's assembly line bean counter measure. Look at a simple thing as a hub on a truck axle. Pretty much every hub made today on trucks is a complete non serviceable unit. You unbolt it bolt a new one in and away you go.
Before you had to assemble it as you installed it, adjust it seal it and then away you go. So by going to a full completely sealed unit they cut out minutes off the line. Now that tomost people it's what's the big deal thinking. It's only a few minutes. But it adds up. Minutes on a assembly line converts to hundreds of thousands over a day/month/year.

Same with appliances. Lots of non serviceable stuff out there. Everything has a designated time of use.

I mean if they made a appliance that can last 40 years trouble and maintenance free they would ONLY be selling to one new customer that wanted one. If they can make it last 5-7-10 years and then make it where it's costly to repair most people opt to buy new.
For example I have a chest freezer that was made in 1983 that we got for free from my wife's mom. And they bought it brand new. It still works fine. The outside is a bit dirty and beat up but so what. About the only thing I did was clean the built up dirt/cobwebs off the coil.

Personally love cooking in cast iron. It's easy to maintain and lasts forever. If you're buying a cooking set every few years you're throwing money away buying cheap. I personally despise teflon. I can ckean a cast iron pan in a few minutes.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:

My last refrigerator, washer and dryer, and dishwasher were from the 90s and lasted 15 years until I sold the house. I try to avoid the cheapest Harbor Freight tools, but otherwise I am really impressed with most made-in-China tools. I can get tools every bit as good as my old Craftsman tools and most are a fraction of the cost in today's dollars. Sure plenty of stores are willing to rip you off charging several times what an item is worth. It sounds like you are having difficulty with the places you shop. I don't have that issue since I buy almost everything except food online.

Clothing is my favorite. I buy mainly for function, rather than fashion junk from the mall. I buy T shirts for $2, pocket Ts for $4, and polo shirts for $6. All are at least equivalent to what I used to buy years ago. Shoes, winter coats, rain gear, gloves and most other items are way, way better and cheaper. The old gear just does not compare with modern materials such as gore tex and thinsulate, microfiber insulation.

Toys come in all different price ranges from quality to cheap Target/Walmart junk. My 4 year old grand daughter is into American dolls, definitely a quality item. Six year old grandson loves Legos. He takes care of them and they never break. There are the usual bikes, big wheels, playground equipment, skateboards and scooters on the patio and in the backyard. I don't see any that are broken or need work. I did get called on to tighten the training wheels on the bike but they had already had a lot of abuse.

Sorry, it seems you have a black cloud over your head. I don't have much problem with new stuff breaking. Unfortunately, the mixer from the 70s finally died and my power saw of equal vintage is all but dead. Most of my old Sears power tools, including the chain saw, have died over the years. Hardly any of them had much use.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My last refrigerator, washer and dryer, and dishwasher were from the 90s and lasted 15 years until I sold the house. I try to avoid the cheapest Harbor Freight tools, but otherwise I am really impressed with most made-in-China tools. I can get tools every bit as good as my old Craftsman tools and most are a fraction of the cost in today's dollars. Sure plenty of stores are willing to rip you off charging several times what an item is worth. It sounds like you are having difficulty with the places you shop. I don't have that issue since I buy almost everything except food online.

Clothing is my favorite. I buy mainly for function, rather than fashion junk from the mall. I buy T shirts for $2, pocket Ts for $4, and polo shirts for $6. All are at least equivalent to what I used to buy years ago. Shoes, winter coats, rain gear, gloves and most other items are way, way better and cheaper. The old gear just does not compare with modern materials such as gore tex and thinsulate, microfiber insulation.

Toys come in all different price ranges from quality to cheap Target/Walmart junk. My 4 year old grand daughter is into American dolls, definitely a quality item. Six year old grandson loves Legos. He takes care of them and they never break. There are the usual bikes, big wheels, playground equipment, skateboards and scooters on the patio and in the backyard. I don't see any that are broken or need work. I did get called on to tighten the training wheels on the bike but they had already had a lot of abuse.

Sorry, it seems you have a black cloud over your head. I don't have much problem with new stuff breaking. Unfortunately, the mixer from the 70s finally died and my power saw of equal vintage is all but dead. Most of my old Sears power tools, including the chain saw, have died over the years. Hardly any of them had much use.
No i dont have a cloud issue, just things in life that we see and some never question it and some do. This pas xmas my son got some things that we got when we was young, including a tanka truck. its all plastic now, and was like what happen to the metal ones. Too many whiny parent complain? Yea some things we got now will continue to work years on down the road, but that is a big IF. Just part of getting old i guess, expecting things to last longer than 2-5 years without having to replace a part. Like the o2 sensor in your car, you know it needs to be replaced least twice before your car goes to the junk yard. 20-100 dollar part and 200 labor charge. Just small things in life that we just dont ever look at, i look at and question the quality of the product.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I think most things built today are built with a shelf life in mind. Where things were made before the technology of sealed for life wasn't as common. So things were able to be taken apart serviced/repaired. And things today simply are not designed to be as serviceable. Or at least serviceable CHEAPLY.
When it costs almost as much to repair as it costs to buy new.....

Lots of things on vehicles are sealed for life or non serviceable. That's not because they are looking out for the consumer. It's assembly line bean counter measure. Look at a simple thing as a hub on a truck axle. Pretty much every hub made today on trucks is a complete non serviceable unit. You unbolt it bolt a new one in and away you go.
Before you had to assemble it as you installed it, adjust it seal it and then away you go. So by going to a full completely sealed unit they cut out minutes off the line. Now that tomost people it's what's the big deal thinking. It's only a few minutes. But it adds up. Minutes on a assembly line converts to hundreds of thousands over a day/month/year.

Same with appliances. Lots of non serviceable stuff out there. Everything has a designated time of use.

I mean if they made a appliance that can last 40 years trouble and maintenance free they would ONLY be selling to one new customer that wanted one. If they can make it last 5-7-10 years and then make it where it's costly to repair most people opt to buy new.

For example I have a chest freezer that was made in 1983 that we got for free from my wife's mom. And they bought it brand new. It still works fine. The outside is a bit dirty and beat up but so what. About the only thing I did was clean the built up dirt/cobwebs off the coil.

Personally love cooking in cast iron. It's easy to maintain and lasts forever. If you're buying a cooking set every few years you're throwing money away buying cheap. I personally despise teflon. I can ckean a cast iron pan in a few minutes.
That is what i was trying to say. Build it were nobody can service it thus forcing you to buy the product at a premium cost or buy a new one and create that fake demand. Reason for the high demand is due to part failure or cost to repair. If it was cheap to fix, than they wouldnt be making fridges as often right?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
...... Just part of getting old i guess, expecting things to last longer than 2-5 years without having to replace a part. Like the o2 sensor in your car, you know it needs to be replaced least twice before your car goes to the junk yard. 20-100 dollar part and 200 labor charge. Just small things in life that we just dont ever look at, i look at and question the quality of the product.
In the good ole days, cars put out a lot of pollution. They did not have fuel injection or O2 sensors. Everything else on them broke, constantly and they usually rusted or otherwise fell apart in a few years. Even routine maintenance was frequent and expensive: 3000 miles for oil, 30000 for replacing tires and spark plugs and points. Modern cars hardly need any maintenance except for fluid changes and those are much less frequent. A car from the 60s was likely to need an A/T rebuild sooner than an O2 sensor would wear out. Come to think of it I have never needed one and that includes Izuzu, 190K miles, CRV, 160K miles and my Toyota Corolla, 145K miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics