Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:22 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,508,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I think that opportunities were better back then, but I also think that people worked harder and got by with less.

Like, yes, my grandfather had much better opportunities to make money in the 50s than I do now, but he also worked much harder than I do now. Both things are true simultaneously I think.
That sentence should be, "Opportunities were better back then for white males." There were far fewer opportunities for everyone else. Even when a non-white non-male got a job, they got paid pennies on the dollar, compared to white males. So no, opportunties were not better back then for Americans. They are better NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
True. Ultimately, if you are paying for a PhD as an individual, you probably shouldn't be getting one.
How else can one get a PhD?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Didn't they just come out with a study that shows millennials today earn 20% less and have 50% less wealth compared to boomers at the same age.

There is no denying it, it was better in the past from a financial stand point, but I can see people not wanting to be born earlier because they enjoy today's technology and all it comes with.
We need to fix that lower income, if that's true. I wonder why? Businesses having more power, more employees competing for fewer jobs? I wonder.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 AM

2,248 posts, read 3,035,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
How else can one get a PhD?
Because the people who are most qualified to get one are almost always given Research Assistanceships or Teaching Assistanceships which means their tuition is covered plus they get a small stipend. If you are paying for it then they didn't think you were good enough for either of those things, which means you are probably not cut out for a PhD.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 6,773 times
Born in 80 and I had a great childhood growing up with Nintendo and hanging out with my friends. Graduated college at 20 and had a professional job right out of the gate (lucky it was right before 02 recession) then got my MBA and partied by way through my 20's with the same friends from college while moving my way through the ranks of corporate America. Hooked up with my current wife at 29, and we both now make a crap ton of money in management at 36 while still close to my old friends who all live in the area.

No..... I wouldn't change a damned thing era-wise.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:17 PM

817 posts, read 748,397 times
If you were born in the mid-to-late fifties, grew up in the 70s, started working in the eighties with a pension, and retired recently with a lot of home equity, you had a pretty good life.

I grew up in the 90s, during the internet and gangsta rap boom. I think it was pretty fun. I got my driver's license a couple years before they started giving a restricted license, and ruining that for kids. I believe I am the last generation they went cruising too, at least in metropolitan areas.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a millennial, I feel very sorry for them.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:13 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,544,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Because the people who are most qualified to get one are almost always given Research Assistanceships or Teaching Assistanceships which means their tuition is covered plus they get a small stipend. If you are paying for it then they didn't think you were good enough for either of those things, which means you are probably not cut out for a PhD.
By "most qualified" I think you mean "the top 95%." Virtually all PHD programs pay tuition plus stipend for virtually all their students. The few that offer pay-your-own-way PHD programs are bottom of the barrel and should not be considered under any circumstances.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM

10,017 posts, read 7,157,180 times
I was born 1982.

If I could guarantee to be born white male middle class & college bound, yeah, I'd prefer to have been born circa late 1940s, early 1950s. Runner up mid to late 1960s so I hit the job market in the mid to late 80s rather than the early 80s.

Overall I think my own time has been okay for me, but I could definitely get more housing bang for my buck being born in one of those earlier times.

I also think I would have had more fun. From listening to my parents, aunts and uncles, it was much better to be a sexually active young person before AIDS. So I could have had a lot more fun. Drugs were also something that people didn't realize the problems with. People talk about how the youth are more sexually promiscuous now, but teen birth is way down, people report fewer sexual partners, and the promiscuity is more in just talk and online. Yeah, people sext each other naked pictures now, big whoop.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,829,022 times
Yeah, I always wished I'd been around in the 1950s. I should have been born in the late 1920s-early 1930s. I was born in 1992. My moms parents were both born in 1930 and I think I picked up a lot of their mannerisms and beliefs without realizing it. I used to be at their house everyday after school.

The economy was great in the 1950s. Jobs were plentiful. They didn't pay well but the cost of living was low and expenses were reduced compared to today. Also wages were higher in today's dollars. Plus the war was recently over and people wanted to settle down and have babies.

But medicine and technology have improved significantly since then and will continue to do so. Hopefully by the time my generation is elderly, stem cell treatment and cures for certain things will have become mainstream.

Last edited by floridarebel; 01-20-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 01:19 PM

11,999 posts, read 12,863,372 times
Not really-I was born in 1986 and it suits me fine. Our generation will usher in a magnitude of changes in our society/economic system and it will be exciting to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics