U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 AM

328 posts, read 205,113 times

Advertisements

First off, I am not an economist. And I've looked for similar posts to avoid redundancy.

The national debt of 20 trillion dollars, with yearly deficits. How do we pay this off, if ever.

I've read about just "erasing" the debt because most is owed to us. Increased taxes, massive inflation via printing money to pay off debt. How do we pay the debt. Or...does it just go on forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:58 AM

17,669 posts, read 12,299,518 times
You don't pay it off ever.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 AM

11,486 posts, read 7,473,095 times
Yeah, you never pay that debt off. What we should hope to do is out grow it.

For right now, we have about a 17 trillion dollar GDP and a 4 trillion dollar budget. We should hope some day to have a 25 trillion dollar GDP, a 5 trillion dollar budget, and still service the 19 trillion dollar debt. I just made those figures up - they are not accurate, but the theory is the same.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Status: "Trump: tantrums and lies until gone" (set 4 days ago)

3,831 posts, read 3,774,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
First off, I am not an economist. And I've looked for similar posts to avoid redundancy.

The national debt of 20 trillion dollars, with yearly deficits. How do we pay this off, if ever.

I've read about just "erasing" the debt because most is owed to us. Increased taxes, massive inflation via printing money to pay off debt. How do we pay the debt. Or...does it just go on forever.
By continuing to keep taxes (revenue) low for the 1% (if not the .01%) and for corporations, it shows we really don't care about our national debt. And now we are about to expand the military dramatically.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM

18,115 posts, read 13,303,693 times
Quote:

It isn't necessary to pay it off, but it is necessary to pay it own to manageable level in relation to GDP.

Quote:
I've read about just "erasing" the debt because most is owed to us.
That would lead to strife, since States and many companies have their pension plans invested in US treasury securities.

Quote:
Increased taxes, massive inflation via printing money to pay off debt. How do we pay the debt. Or...does it just go on forever.
It goes on until domestic and foreign entities stop buying your debt, and then Inflation sets in and starts destroying your economy.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:11 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,809,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
By continuing to keep taxes (revenue) low for the 1% (if not the .01%) and for corporations, it shows we really don't care about our national debt. And now we are about to expand the military dramatically.
Revenue is at record highs. They have to (GASP!) stop spending so much. It's not the government's money, it's the people's money, the people who earned it.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:13 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,251,495 times
Quote:

It could go on forever or be paid off some day. The current system would have us keep it around forever and never pay it off.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:14 PM

1,553 posts, read 662,095 times
The debt gets paid off by collapsing the currency via hyperinflation, making us all worthless trillionaires. Alternatives to this would be growing the economy while shrinking government and overall improving GDP.

To start assessing our debt situation realistically, we need real data, and real statistics, which our government hasn't been providing. We need to understand not only the day to day costs and deficits, but long term obligations. Places like shadowstats help a lot. Until our government will be honest about it's fiscal condition, we really can't address the problem rationally.

Hyperinflation and currency collapse occur if nothing is done to manage debt. Each President has mangled various statistics for quite some time. The newest President hasn't yet started, we shall see what he does. His 23% unemployment rate is spot on, visit Alternate Unemployment Charts and see for yourself.

Ever see a 100 trillion mark note? Toddle here - German Hyperinflation Banknotes note in 1923 Germans used billion where we would use trillion, it had the same amount of zeros.

Once hyperinflation starts, the economic system will collapse. Anything over 25% or so inflation per month has no possible recovery but collapse and reorganization. Hyper inflation snowballs faster and faster until collapse. Note the 100 trillion mark note is printed on one side as it was too expensive to print on both sides, this started to happen after billion mark notes replaced mark notes. 100 trillion marks couldn't buy anything. Without a currency, barter is the only venue for trade, and barter is not an efficient method for a modern society to exchange goods and services.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:48 PM

1,713 posts, read 679,637 times
Quote:

Given this nations love of living beyond its means I do not believe the debt will ever be paid off. It might however disappear one day should we go bankrupt.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 PM

3,624 posts, read 2,033,796 times
You tax the wealthiest generation in history that is responsible for this debt. They got rich and the country went on the verge of bankruptcy to support it. A death tax is required to pay it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or