Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
If the OP had bothered to take the 8 seconds required to google 'cookware made in usa', he'd have seen that there is a great deal of American-made cookware,
I got nothing to do so i'll help our op out with some made in the USA options=
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...+made+cookware

Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
If the OP had bothered to take the 8 seconds required to google 'cookware made in usa', he'd have seen that there is a great deal of American-made cookware, thus proving his entire thesis incorrect.
+1
In addition to the aforementioned All-Clad pots & pans, Calphalon's products are made in The US, and those two are not the only brands.

However, if somebody wants to buy-into the YUGE falsehoods spouted on a daily basis by a certain politician, who claims--inaccurately--that "We don't make anything in The US any more", the OP's narrative is perfect. Yes, it is inaccurate as all heck, but it is perfect for the people who believe that politician's bloviated falsehoods regarding American manufacturing.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there are epa restrictions on many of the processes needed to manufacture them here , especially the non stick stuff . it is way to cost prohibitive the way the greenhouse credits work .
And don't forget the high cost of labor, unions, etc.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
That's it exactly.

If the OP had bothered to take the 8 seconds required to google 'cookware made in usa', he'd have seen that there is a great deal of American-made cookware, thus proving his entire thesis incorrect.
In the age of Trump eight seconds is way too long. If it's not running on a scrolling banner at the bottom of Fox News (in the background), it's too much to look up.
BTW, I produced Aluminum cookware in PA and also one of our main foundries produces Lodge stuff.

This is why trump loves the uneducated. They don't learn for themselves- he just plants ideas in their heads and they run with it.

My italian expresso pots and teapot are the best tho - expensive!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is why trump loves the uneducated. They don't learn for themselves- he just plants ideas in their heads and they run with it.
Yup!
Contrary to what Agent Orange keeps telling his true-believers, US industrial production has risen over the years. This chart covers only ~3 decades, but the facts are unambiguous:

>Industrial production in The US has risen every year--with the exception of a downturn in the wake of the Bush Recession.
Since 2009, it resumed its annual up-tick.
>Automation has resulted in fewer jobs, even as industrial production has risen.

Unless Agent Orange wants to craft an Executive Order that prohibits US manufacturers from utilizing automation, most of the low-skill/unskilled jobs that have been lost over the past 20+ years or so are not coming back.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Boy, some of you can turn anything into nasty political digs complete with name-calling and derogatory remarks about anyone who doesn't believe as you do, on any topic, in any forum, in seconds, can't you? I think that is pretty 'low skill', less than insightful but incite-ful, writing.

Yes, we can make pots and pans here. Yes, we do make some brands of pots and pans here. Some of them are good quality and/or good buys. Consumers have choices - and that is generally a good thing. I like a world where there are at least some choices.

If there is a market for them, we could make even more pots and pans here - some of them may be excellent or decent quality, some may be only adequate quality or just suited to a particular purpose for a shorter period of time before being disposed of. If there is enough interest in making more or different or better/worse quality pots and pans here, we could make those too. In fact, it is likely to get a bit easier to do so in the next few years as regulations get reviewed and perhaps less restrictive (while still making sure we are all safe).

If we wanted to, we could even make them here, put an Italian flag on the label and sell them in Italy to Italians and fool at least some of them into thinking they were buying Italian made pots and pans (till they turn them over and read the small print). Or they could make pots and pans in Italy and put an American flag on the top-side label and fool some of us into thinking we were buying an American made product. Or we could all just buy Chinese made products for a lower price (but generally of lower quality too).

Those (OP example) particular pots and pans are probably not made here, but, they could be if the firm that makes/markets them wanted to have a factory here and felt they could sell enough of them at the price they wanted to charge for them. They could also make them in China or Bangladesh or Indonesia, etc. There is a world outside of the US where people also live and work and want pots and pans - some of them even made 'locally' to them (while many of them are still made elsewhere).

Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
At present, All-Clad only makes its "clad" multi-layer products in the US. The remaining stuff is made elsewhere. "Approximately 90% of the items carrying the All-Clad brand are made in the U.S., in Pennsylvania. The remaining 10% not made in the U.S., are made in China, France, and Italy. Electric items, for example, would be prohibitively expensive to manufacture in the U.S. and, according to All-Clad, facilities to make these items are not available in the U.S."

Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It says it is Italian cookware, but s does it actually say it is made in Italy?

The German knives I like come from 3 different countries. I can buy them made in Germany and they are extremely expensive. I can buy them made in Spain, and they are slightly less expensive and come in sets. I can buy sets made in China and the price isn't all that bad. Not cheap, but nothing like buying the ones made in Germany.

All three grades are sold under the company name and it is a German company. You must hunt very carefully in the small print to see where they were manufactured.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:25 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:

Yeah, you can find jeans made in USA too but you have to look for them in deep dark corners of the internet. Walk through your typical Target and Walmart and show me how many American-made pots and pans you can find. My point is those who claim they HAVE to make skillets in China to make money are wrong. If the Italian flag sells, why wouldn't the American flag?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
In addition to the aforementioned All-Clad pots & pans, Calphalon's products are made in The US, and those two are not the only brands.

However, if somebody wants to buy-into the YUGE falsehoods spouted on a daily basis by a certain politician, who claims--inaccurately--that "We don't make anything in The US any more", the OP's narrative is perfect. Yes, it is inaccurate as all heck, but it is perfect for the people who believe that politician's bloviated falsehoods regarding American manufacturing.

Why be so defensive? Geeks might buy their pots and pans online but ordinary people want to pick up and feel what they are buying. They are not going to scour some dark corners of the internet to buy American. They go to Target and buy them. And since you are so good at it, show me the link what American-made kitchen utensils Target sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics